Aleph One 1.6.1 doesn't work with Tempus Irae and Evil

Have a question, suggestion, or comment about Aleph One's features and functionality (Lua, MML, the engine itself, etc)? Post such topics here.
Lion O Cyborg
Cyborg

Windows 10
NVIDIA RTX 2060 GPU, AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6 core CPU

Most other games including Eternal (latest version) and Rubicon do work, but these two don't even launch and there's no error message. My computer won't let me disable DEP for the 64 bit nor 32 bit versions so I can't test if it's that.

It doesn't work with M1A1 either. I haven't tested Yuge, Spatial Outpouring or Apotheosis X.

Do the three non working ones work with Mac & Linux? I've put my windows versions back to the last Aleph One build so I can still play them, but I've kept the new one for the ones it does work on.

EDIT: OK, it seems those games or at least Tempus Irae don't work even in the slightly less recent versions. I think the earliest they work is AlephOne-20210408-Win and its64 bit equivalent. It's weird because I'm sure I remember seeing those older versions work fine before. What's going on?
The Man
Vidmaster

I just loaded both of them in Aleph One 1.6.1 without a hitch. I suggest downloading fresh copies; yours may have gotten corrupted somehow. You may also want to run a hard drive scan to check for other corrupted sectors and possibly a malware/antivirus scan to rule that out as a cause for the corruption.
“People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.” —V, V for Vendetta (Alan Moore)

“The trouble is that we have a bad habit, encouraged by pedants and sophisticates, of considering happiness as something rather stupid. Only pain is intellectual, only evil interesting. This is the treason of the artist: a refusal to admit the banality of evil and the terrible boredom of pain. If you can’t lick ’em, join ’em. If it hurts, repeat it. But to praise despair is to condemn delight, to embrace violence is to lose hold of everything else. We have almost lost hold; we can no longer describe happy man, nor make any celebration of joy.” —Ursula K. Le Guin, “The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas”

“If others had not been foolish, we should be so.” —William Blake, The Marriage of Heaven and Hell

“The law cannot protect anyone unless it binds everyone; and it cannot bind anyone unless it protects everyone.” —Frank Wilhoit

Last.fm · Marathon Chronicles · Marathon Eternal 1.2 · Where Monsters Are in Dreams · YouTube Vidmaster’s Challenge
Lion O Cyborg
Cyborg

The Man wrote: Feb 7th '23, 23:16 I just loaded both of them in Aleph One 1.6.1 without a hitch. I suggest downloading fresh copies; yours may have gotten corrupted somehow. You may also want to run a hard drive scan to check for other corrupted sectors and possibly a malware/antivirus scan to rule that out as a cause for the corruption.
Fresh install did nothing, not even the Windows 32 bit version. I have all my Marathon games installed in the same folder (separate folder for each game of course but they're all in an Aleph One folder in my D drive) and 1.6.1 does work for almost all of them except for Tempus Irae, M1A1 and Evil. It's weird.

Did a virus scan with malwarebytes to see if they are dangerous (I don't trust my default Norton as it's notorious for false positives, including Tomb Raider and later versions of Marathon). Seem to be safe. Gonna run an SFC scan next to check for corruption.

Thanks for your help. I'll report back what I find.

EDIT: The verification part of the scan didn't find any issues. It seems to be OK. Strange how it seems to only affact those games but not others I install the exact same version of Aleph One into like Eternal or Redux.
The Man
Vidmaster

Try deleting (or at least renaming) your preferences for both scenarios. My guess is they’re both corrupt. See https://github.com/Aleph-One-Marathon/a ... -Locations for the locations.
“People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.” —V, V for Vendetta (Alan Moore)

“The trouble is that we have a bad habit, encouraged by pedants and sophisticates, of considering happiness as something rather stupid. Only pain is intellectual, only evil interesting. This is the treason of the artist: a refusal to admit the banality of evil and the terrible boredom of pain. If you can’t lick ’em, join ’em. If it hurts, repeat it. But to praise despair is to condemn delight, to embrace violence is to lose hold of everything else. We have almost lost hold; we can no longer describe happy man, nor make any celebration of joy.” —Ursula K. Le Guin, “The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas”

“If others had not been foolish, we should be so.” —William Blake, The Marriage of Heaven and Hell

“The law cannot protect anyone unless it binds everyone; and it cannot bind anyone unless it protects everyone.” —Frank Wilhoit

Last.fm · Marathon Chronicles · Marathon Eternal 1.2 · Where Monsters Are in Dreams · YouTube Vidmaster’s Challenge
Lion O Cyborg
Cyborg

The Man wrote: Feb 8th '23, 02:00 Try deleting (or at least renaming) your preferences for both scenarios. My guess is they’re both corrupt. See https://github.com/Aleph-One-Marathon/a ... -Locations for the locations.
Tried with Tempus Irae first. Didn't change anything. That's after deleting both in the Aleph One preferences folder in App Data and the preferences file in the game directory.
The Man
Vidmaster

Tempus Irae has its own preferences, so deleting "Aleph One Preferences" won't do anything. You’d need to delete "Tempus Irae Preferences" in said folder. But if you removed the entire folder and it still didn’t load, then I’m stumped.
Last edited by The Man on Feb 8th '23, 21:44, edited 1 time in total.

Lion O Cyborg
Cyborg

The Man wrote: Feb 8th '23, 21:41 Pretty sure Tempus Irae has its own preferences, in which case deleting the Aleph One preferences won't do anything. You need to delete "Tempus Irae Preferences".
That's what I did. Same for EVIL Preferences.
The Man
Vidmaster

No idea then. I should note that I tested the 2006 Tempus in 1.6.1 on Windows 10 just now. Works fine.

Have you tested the trilogy? I’m assuming you included that in “most other games”, but I want to be certain.

The Man
Vidmaster

One of the Aleph One devs is suggesting that you should check your application event viewer and report back with the results.

Lion O Cyborg
Cyborg

The Man wrote: Feb 8th '23, 22:32 One of the Aleph One devs is suggesting that you should check your application event viewer and report back with the results.
Which category in the event viewer is Aleph One under? I've never used it before.
Also yes, the trilogy works.

EDIT: Nevermind. Uploading image. Image
The Man
Vidmaster

I’ve passed this on. Will report back if anyone is able to figure anything out.

The Man
Vidmaster

Apparently you should post the details tab from your screen. This might be true of all of those errors, not sure. Might make sense to just copy & paste, if it’ll let you.

Also you might want to run sfc.exe if it’s the same thing as this error, but I have no idea whether it is or not.

Lion O Cyborg
Cyborg

The Man wrote: Feb 10th '23, 01:25 Apparently you should post the details tab from your screen. This might be true of all of those errors, not sure. Might make sense to just copy & paste, if it’ll let you.

Also you might want to run sfc.exe if it’s the same thing as this error, but I have no idea whether it is or not.
OK. Posting now:

Aleph One.exe
63c9c7c6
Aleph One.exe
63c9c7c6
c0000409
0000000001697d2c
8d6dc
01d93f32b7cf0855
D:\Programs\AlephOne-20150620\Tempus_Irae\Tempus_Irae\Aleph One.exe
D:\Programs\AlephOne-20150620\Tempus_Irae\Tempus_Irae\Aleph One.exe
619e86be-4e8b-4eb4-957c-323f2af9be30

Ran SFC scan again and it showed the same as last time: "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations."