3D Model Question

Have a question, suggestion, or comment about Aleph One's features and functionality (Lua, MML, the engine itself, etc)? Post such topics here.

Post Aug 18th '06, 05:19

Hey there, I have some questions regarding 3D models.

First, I made a model is meshwork (A Toliet), now how do I get it to work in Aleph One, and how would I get it to show up in a Map. I know about the spnkrghol tutorial things but I'm not sure exactly how to do it on a more recent version of Aleph One.

Secondly, I know that scenry objects will not block you in the Vertical direction, so my next question is: Can you stand on a 3D model imported into Aleph One? It would be really cool for a toliet. [MGrin]
Video Gamer Blog (With some articles by me!)

Look at Him Go, Weeee

Zott
Earth

Post Aug 18th '06, 09:08

A Toliet? wtf
MY DEVIANTART
(My devArt is outdated)
http://www.myspace.com/t__bo

Tybo
Vulcan

Post Aug 18th '06, 11:56

Zott wrote:Hey there, I have some questions regarding 3D models.

First, I made a model is meshwork (A Toliet), now how do I get it to work in Aleph One, and how would I get it to show up in a Map. I know about the spnkrghol tutorial things but I'm not sure exactly how to do it on a more recent version of Aleph One.

Should still be the same as those tutorials: MML, dim3 files, and textures.
Secondly, I know that scenry objects will not block you in the Vertical direction, so my next question is: Can you stand on a 3D model imported into Aleph One? It would be really cool for a toliet. [MGrin]

They'll work like regular scenery objects, so, probably not

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Aug 18th '06, 15:58

tybo wrote:A Toliet? wtf

think about it.... it would be a recharger
LOL

oteito
somewhere in the heavens

Post Aug 19th '06, 04:21

Marathon isn't Duke Nukem, You press action key on it and you regain some health...

assassingao

Post Aug 19th '06, 07:41

Well...if it would act like a regular scenery....and you can walk over some scenery if I'm not mistaken.....Perhaps I'll make some cool architecture for Marathon in 3D.

Can anyone say Diagonal stairs?
[A 3D walkthru-able diagonal scenery covering the stairs, so you can't see the stairs, only the slant? I'm sure it could be textured to look like the flooring too. :) ]

And I made the toliet for my own free practice and wanted to see if I could put it in a map I am working on. I can't model much of anything, so this was one of actual good models. I also made a cool lamp. :)

If I was going to make it give you health, I'd make it a single health item in the center of the toliet to pickup.

Here's a picutre for you of my toliet: IPB Image

After re-reading the spnkrGhol tutorial, I'm still confused. Can someone just make a very basic 3D shape mml replacer and post it here?

(In the meantime, I'll be looking at Bridges and Balcony technology, and see if I could someone incorporate that into my map. [MTongue] )

Look at Him Go, Weeee

Zott
Earth

Post Aug 19th '06, 23:07

I dont think this is a good idea but here ya go:

Code: Select all
<!-- S'pt'Kr neutral -->
        <model    coll="10"
                seq="0"
                file="A_model/SptKr6.obj"
                type="wave"
                scale="1.8"
                x_rot="0"
                y_rot="0"
                z_rot="-90"
                x_shift="0"
                y_shift="0"
                z_shift="350"
                side="0"
                norm_split="0.8"
                light_type="3" >

<skin    
                clut="-1"
                opac_type="1"
                opac_scale="1"
                opac_shift="1"
                normal_image="A_skin/SptKr6.jpg"
                normal_mask="A_skin/SptKr6mask.jpg"
                glow_image="A_skin/SptKr6glow.jpg"
                glow_mask="A_skin/SptKrglowmaskpassive.jpg" />

Switch
NYC

Post Aug 20th '06, 02:22

Thank you Appleswitch, but I found a similar one on the spnkrGhol website.

But here's where the problem began...

I got my model all tidied up, used a premade mml script, and put the replaced object in a forge map to test.

But when I tried to start Mac OS 9 Aleph One with the MML script, it kept giving Opengl errors regarding the type "Model".

I messed around with "Type" because I though that was the problem, but I found out that my Aleph One wasn't registering Model correctly. I looked up the MML lamguage guide, and everything seemed to look right. To make sure it wasn't just my mml script, I downloaded the S'pt Kr model demo that the sknkrghol website provided and No-Dice.
It failured with the same error.

Havn't had the chance to test on Newest Aleph One Version on a PC (Don't have acess to PC as often as Mac Os 9 version... :( ) though I remember another 3D model thing worked my the PC a while ago.

Could someone tell me what's wrong with my OS 9 Aleph One? Is it because I have built in graphics? I have no clue what the matter is... I will try and test with a chair model on my PC later...

Look at Him Go, Weeee

Zott
Earth

Post Aug 20th '06, 02:28

The last build for OS 9 is so old it doesn't support a lot of stuff. You definitely want the latest version (7/1) if you're going to mess with model stuff, otherwise you'll crash a lot.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Aug 20th '06, 23:52

I went and tested a chair model I had on my windows machine, in Aleph One it worked....sort of. Here's some picutres for you, using a spnkrghol test map. As soon as Aleph One saw the chair it had this result:

Though I think it was because I tried to do it with no skin, though I'm not sure why this happend. I could still shoot though. :) The chair was sideways because I didn't both to change its orientation. Ha ha.

[attachmentid=337][attachmentid=338][attachmentid=339]
Attachments
Weird_Marathon.jpg
Weird_Marathon.jpg (182.46 KiB) Viewed 3815 times
Mini_Chair.jpg
Mini_Chair.jpg (174.56 KiB) Viewed 3820 times
fireing_weird_marathon.jpg
fireing_weird_marathon.jpg (178.47 KiB) Viewed 3821 times

Look at Him Go, Weeee

Zott
Earth

Post Feb 15th '07, 04:44

sorry to revive a dead post but the spnkrghol site has no downloads.
the links don't work.
Its just like the story of the grasshopper and the octopus. All year long the grasshopper kept burying acorns for winter while the octopus mooched off his girlfriend and watched TV. Then the winter came, and the grasshopper died, and the octopus ate all his acorns and also he got a racecar. Is any of this getting through to you?
Favorite quote
ASYMPOTATOES http://asympotatoes.blogspot.com/
[viral]

megabyte
Asympotatoes, Mars

Post Feb 15th '07, 05:18

Give the health canister a turd sprite so you can look down on its grossness
Samus

Post Feb 15th '07, 06:26

Errm right...

Anyway, Megabyte, yes most of the downloads down work, which is extremely disappointing, (I remember shooting some 3D bobs and pfhor on a now downed download) however there is still one that works.

http://www.xs4all.nl/~jemmet/spnkrghol/3D-...on3Dstatic.html

It can be found under example at the bottom of the page.

Alternatively, there is a unimap version on fileball.net

I wish the other ones were still up. :(

I hope you make some 3D models for us. :)

Look at Him Go, Weeee

Zott
Earth

Post Feb 15th '07, 06:57

thanks

but thats only the spht
Last edited by megabyte on Feb 15th '07, 06:59, edited 1 time in total.
Its just like the story of the grasshopper and the octopus. All year long the grasshopper kept burying acorns for winter while the octopus mooched off his girlfriend and watched TV. Then the winter came, and the grasshopper died, and the octopus ate all his acorns and also he got a racecar. Is any of this getting through to you?
Favorite quote
[viral]

megabyte
Asympotatoes, Mars

Post Feb 15th '07, 13:22

would it be possible/practical to make, you know, higher res 3-d models compared to the current sphtkr? because i love the way it looks compared to sprites, but it just barely resembles a sphtkr...

Billy was a chemist's son.
But Billy is no more.
What Billy thought was H20,
Was H2S04.
xyfbzi

Post Feb 15th '07, 15:22

xyfbzi wrote:would it be possible/practical to make, you know, higher res 3-d models compared to the current sphtkr? because i love the way it looks compared to sprites, but it just barely resembles a sphtkr...

Maybe, but you'd need a high end gaming rig to get 3D models to look as good as hand drawn sprites.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Feb 15th '07, 17:49

I just downloaded a set of 3d sprites from another thread
i cant remember its name though dieselfame3 posted in it i think
Favorite quote
[viral]

megabyte
Asympotatoes, Mars

Return to Aleph One Discussion