Excalibur: Morgana's Revenge

For topics about the story, help in a certain level, game discussion, or finding/discussing content.
Destiny
Mjolnir Mark IV

So I'm trying to get back into playing Marathon again. Feeling a bit nostalgic after not having messed around with any of the scenarios in a couple years. One of the scenarios I wanted to play again was Excalibur: Morgana's Revenge. I never finished the Aleph One version of the game, so I wanted to finally give it a try. I went over to the website today to try and download it, but I can't seem to get the sites to load at all. Does anyone know what's going on with that? I really would love to play that scenario again.

On other topic, does anyone know if the Unreal Tournament version on Steam works with Marathon: Resurrection at all? Kind of curious about that.
General-RADIX
Cyborg

I think the most recent version is mirrored here.

Don't know about Resurrection working with Steam!UT, though. Is there any significant difference between the Steam and non-Steam versions? If not, then I'unno why Resurrection wouldn't run under the Steam version as well...
welcome to the scene of the crash
Destiny
Mjolnir Mark IV

Thanks! Although for whatever reason I can't seem to get the game to run. Keeps coming up with an error. System error occurred because it couldn't read the map or saved file.
The Man
Vidmaster

IIRC, Excalibur made a rather large number of changes to A1's source code. It's possible it hasn't been updated to work with more recent versions of the application. However, the error you're describing almost makes it sound like it can't find some of the specific files the scenario is looking for. Is it perhaps searching for, i.e., "Map" when the file is named "Map.sceA"? IDK. It might help to have the exact error message you're getting.

Anyway, it's possible it won't work with A1 1.2 or more recent versions. I don't recall the exact specifics, but I'm almost certain they recoded aspects of the engine, so you may need to use an older version of the app.
“People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.” —V, V for Vendetta (Alan Moore)

“The trouble is that we have a bad habit, encouraged by pedants and sophisticates, of considering happiness as something rather stupid. Only pain is intellectual, only evil interesting. This is the treason of the artist: a refusal to admit the banality of evil and the terrible boredom of pain. If you can’t lick ’em, join ’em. If it hurts, repeat it. But to praise despair is to condemn delight, to embrace violence is to lose hold of everything else. We have almost lost hold; we can no longer describe happy man, nor make any celebration of joy.” —Ursula K. Le Guin, “The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas”

“If others had not been foolish, we should be so.” —William Blake, The Marriage of Heaven and Hell

“The law cannot protect anyone unless it binds everyone; and it cannot bind anyone unless it protects everyone.” —Frank Wilhoit

Last.fm · Marathon Chronicles · Marathon Eternal 1.2 · Where Monsters Are in Dreams · YouTube Vidmaster’s Challenge
Destiny
Mjolnir Mark IV

Yeah it literally says that a system error occurred while attempting to read from your map or saved game file (error 2). As for the version of Aleph One, when I installed EMR, it had it's own version of Aleph One already with it. The map file is titled Quest.sceA, which the quest part is unique to the scenario. It's the only one with that label. Everything else doesn't have a suffix such as shpA or sndA.
The Man
Vidmaster

See what the .mml scripts files say as far as file names. You may need to add or remove extensions from them, depending on what variables are set. This may be complicated as well, depending upon your operating system. I'd add more but I'm about to crash; the NyQuil has kicked in for real and I'm not going to be conscious much longer.
“People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.” —V, V for Vendetta (Alan Moore)

“The trouble is that we have a bad habit, encouraged by pedants and sophisticates, of considering happiness as something rather stupid. Only pain is intellectual, only evil interesting. This is the treason of the artist: a refusal to admit the banality of evil and the terrible boredom of pain. If you can’t lick ’em, join ’em. If it hurts, repeat it. But to praise despair is to condemn delight, to embrace violence is to lose hold of everything else. We have almost lost hold; we can no longer describe happy man, nor make any celebration of joy.” —Ursula K. Le Guin, “The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas”

“If others had not been foolish, we should be so.” —William Blake, The Marriage of Heaven and Hell

“The law cannot protect anyone unless it binds everyone; and it cannot bind anyone unless it protects everyone.” —Frank Wilhoit

Last.fm · Marathon Chronicles · Marathon Eternal 1.2 · Where Monsters Are in Dreams · YouTube Vidmaster’s Challenge
JohannesG
Mjolnir Mark IV

On other topic, does anyone know if the Unreal Tournament version on Steam works with Marathon: Resurrection at all? Kind of curious about that.
I do know that the UT '99 Game of the Year edition over at GOG works with Marathon Resurrection at least.
Destiny
Mjolnir Mark IV

Thanks for the info on that, Johannes. Managed to get the mod running. It does lag quite a bit, and load times are rather atrocious, but hey, beggars can't be choosers.
The Man
Vidmaster

So IDK if you’re still paying attention, but I finally took a closer look at this. I think the most recent version of Excalibur is actually this one. The version RADIX linked seems to be the Infinity release. It’s unfortunate that the official website for Excalibur no longer seems to be around, though. I haven’t yet tested whether the A1 version I’ve just linked will work; I’ll find out in a moment.

ETA: It works, mostly, but the HUD is completely screwed unless you switch to windowed mode. Also, there’s no option for 1080p; the closest you get is 1280x1024, which is kind of dumb. Better than nothing, though!

The Man
Vidmaster

I have played around with it a bit more. It seems to work more or less fine if you just use the data files with more recent versions of Aleph One – perhaps better than they work with the official EMR app. I’ve always found the official app to crash frequently. I don’t know why; perhaps they changed the coding somehow, but it’s always been very buggy. In particular, it seems to crash every time you die and then immediately quit the game without reloading. Using a more recent A1 version will bring up Lua errors, but they don’t seem to affect gameplay at all; the advantages are that the console displays correctly, the game crashes a lot less often, and you can use all the new options introduced in later versions of A1 (including running the game at 1080p). This might be the way to go. I can’t promise that it won’t desync with films recorded with the official EMR app, but I don’t know of anyone who’s actually vidded EMR levels.

I do have a couple questions.

1. Is there a spoiler guide? Some of these levels are really hard.

2. Is there a list of the correct in-game level order? The order in the map clearly does not match gameplay order.

I may have some further questions regarding the music whether I’m successful in contacting James Bisset.

treellama
Vidmaster

EMR won't be very playable without the Lua. It absolutely will affect gameplay.
The Man
Vidmaster

Well, that sucks, because the existing EMR app can only loosely be described as "working", and in fact, I haven't gotten the Mac version to work. A few levels seem to work fine with vanilla A1, but I guess that's not all of them. Might be worth tracking down the team and seeing if there's a way to make a 3.1 release to bring it in line with the current code.

General-RADIX
Cyborg

The Man wrote:1. Is there a spoiler guide? Some of these levels are really hard.
I know that the official site had one; don't know how much of it was archived, though.
welcome to the scene of the crash
treellama
Vidmaster

The Man
Vidmaster

Thanks to both of you for the info. Most of the levels in the original spoiler guide are still accessible via the Internet Archive’s Wayback Machine, but it does seem that a few of them weren’t. Oh well; that’s way more than I expected to have survived. I’ll look into rewriting the Lua for EMR using that info once Eternal development wraps up; it’ll be a useful programming exercise to figure it out.

treellama
Vidmaster

As indicated in that thread, you are not permitted to redistribute any modifications you make. I mean, you're welcome to rewrite the Lua, but, you'll have to keep it to yourself.
The Man
Vidmaster

Yeah, I saw that. I’m going to work on finding a way to contact the creators and ask them if they’d be interested in updating the scenario since it was last updated in 2007 and doesn’t work properly on new versions of Windows (and seemingly at all on macOS). In particular, the HUD displays on top of the gameplay space if you’re running in fullscreen mode at anything larger than 640x480; if you’re running in fullscreen mode at 640x480 it still displays to the left of the gamespace. There are also a number of other annoying aspects, and of course other features of modern versions of A1 like instantaneous saving and film exporting aren’t possible either. Perhaps they’ll be willing to permit an update of the scenario now, given that it’s been nearly 12 years since the last one. I think I’ve at least located James Bisset on Facebook/Twitter; perhaps he knows how to contact Bill Catambay or other members of the project team.

Pfhorrest
Vidmaster

Isn't Crater Creator here on the Pfhorums a member of that team?
Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

I don't know that tertor visits the Pfhorums anymore.
ChristTrekker
Cyborg

I vaguely recall having correspondence with someone from EMR several years ago when I was seeking some of the original artwork for dingbat use in Marapfhont. If this thread is still relevant, maybe I can try to dig it up.