Major 3rd Party Plugin Summaries

For topics about the story, help in a certain level, game discussion, or finding/discussing content.

Major 3rd Party Plugin Summaries

Post Apr 29th '19, 15:11

So, uh, can anyone summarize the narratives of Eternal, Phoenix, Rubicon, etc?

tatterdemalion

Post Apr 29th '19, 16:14

Seems like a wiki would be a better place for that than a forum thread.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Apr 29th '19, 17:40

so uh anyone working on getting traxus back up

tatterdemalion

Post Apr 29th '19, 17:45

Eternal and Rubicon are not easy to summarise, particularly given the extensive time travel in the former and the two or three separate timelines (depending on release) in the latter. Phoenix is a bit more straightforward narrative-wise. Interestingly, the three scenarios you listed can be considered part of a loose continuity with one another - in exactly the chronology you listed, in fact. The connections between Phoenix and Rubicon are fairly obvious (even more so if you play Kindred Spirits, and there are some narrative elements in Eternal that foreshadow elements of Rubicon (most notably, the extensive use of biological warfare in each).

In any case, it's possible to summarise these three scenarios (and others), but it would take a lot of free time, which is not something I've got a lot of at the moment. Maybe later! It might actually be easier to just put all the terminals up for each scenario and let people read them at their leisure, which I may look at doing sometime next month.

I agree on putting Traxus back up if possible. Who would we even contact about that?
“People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.” —V, V for Vendetta (Alan Moore)

“The trouble is that we have a bad habit, encouraged by pedants and sophisticates, of considering happiness as something rather stupid. Only pain is intellectual, only evil interesting. This is the treason of the artist: a refusal to admit the banality of evil and the terrible boredom of pain. If you can’t lick ’em, join ’em. If it hurts, repeat it. But to praise despair is to condemn delight, to embrace violence is to lose hold of everything else. We have almost lost hold; we can no longer describe happy man, nor make any celebration of joy.” —Ursula K. Le Guin, “The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas”

“If others had not been foolish, we should be so.” —William Blake, The Marriage of Heaven and Hell

Last.fm · Marathon Chronicles · Marathon Eternal 1.2 · Where Monsters Are in Dreams · YouTube Vidmaster’s Challenge

The Man
Sarasota, FL

Post Apr 29th '19, 20:15

Terminal text would be great.

Does anyone have a rough idea of the implied post-M2 timeline shared by those scenarios?

tatterdemalion

Post Apr 29th '19, 20:20

If you just want terminal texts, bug Hopper to update lhowon.org

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Apr 29th '19, 21:03

Does Hopper also control the level descriptions? I sent a message asking for Eternal’s levels to be brought up to date, but no response back so far. Maybe it didn’t go through. Hopper’s probably busy working on 1.3 now anyway though.

As for timeline, I think Pfhorrest explained Eternal’s connections to Rubicon and the original game several times in the Eternal 1.2 thread. I don’t want to get it wrong, as it’s quite long, but the game contains a stable time loop that essentially resolves itself, to the point where any game that is a sequel to the original trilogy can also be a sequel to Eternal.

The connection of Rubicon to the original trilogy is not entirely clear; it’s not actually evident whether the game is a sequel to M2 or M∞. The intro terminals in the revised version lampshade this. Phoenix essentially, the way I interpreted it, covers the time between M∞ and Rubicon; the ending explicitly shows how the player got back into Durandal’s service. Ryoko, if he’s reading this, can confirm whether that’s the intention, but that’s definitely the reading I got.

Rubicon is, apart from its unclear timeline and the fact that there are three separate branches, a pretty straightforward sequel, basically halfway between M2 and M∞ in terms of its narrative approach.

Anyway I’m not going to attempt to summarise any of them right now, though I’ll want to do so at some point for the prologue of Chronicles (which will be a sequel to all of them when it’s finally finished).
Last edited by The Man on May 2nd '19, 23:51, edited 1 time in total.
“People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.” —V, V for Vendetta (Alan Moore)

“The trouble is that we have a bad habit, encouraged by pedants and sophisticates, of considering happiness as something rather stupid. Only pain is intellectual, only evil interesting. This is the treason of the artist: a refusal to admit the banality of evil and the terrible boredom of pain. If you can’t lick ’em, join ’em. If it hurts, repeat it. But to praise despair is to condemn delight, to embrace violence is to lose hold of everything else. We have almost lost hold; we can no longer describe happy man, nor make any celebration of joy.” —Ursula K. Le Guin, “The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas”

“If others had not been foolish, we should be so.” —William Blake, The Marriage of Heaven and Hell

Last.fm · Marathon Chronicles · Marathon Eternal 1.2 · Where Monsters Are in Dreams · YouTube Vidmaster’s Challenge

The Man
Sarasota, FL

Post Apr 30th '19, 02:11

The Man wrote:As for timeline, I think Pfhorrest explained Eternal’s connections to Rubicon and the original game several times in the Eternal 1.2 thread. I don’t want to get it wrong, as it’s quite long, but the game contains a stable time loop that essentially resolves itself, to the point where any game that is a sequel to the original trilogy can also be a sequel to Eternal.

Do you have any recommendations for search terms that would help find those bits?

tatterdemalion

Post Apr 30th '19, 02:24

I remembered that one specifically used the phrase “stable time loop”, and it was this post. I can’t remember for others. Might look later.

I know there’s some discussion of Eternal’s plot on the TV Tropes page for Marathon, which also has links to a few other posts about Eternal. I’m not going to provide a link to the TV Tropes page because TV Tropes Will Ruin Your Life, but if you just Google “TV Tropes Marathon” (minus the quotes) you’ll find it.

The Man
Sarasota, FL

Return to Marathon Discussion