Weird sounds in old version of M1

For topics about the story, help in a certain level, game discussion, or finding/discussing content.

Post Jul 30th '11, 21:01

I remember some years back going to a friend's house and playing M1 on his old Mac. What freaked me out was how fucked up and different the sounds were, particularly the alien sounds. Instead of the sounds we're used to hearing them make, their alert noises sounded like an angry old lady clearing her sinuses through a pneumatic tube lodged in one of her nostrils, and every time you killed them, they made this ear-piercing screech that sounded nothing at all like the aliens. All the sounds were loud, obnoxious, and bizarre. I had no idea why they were in there, and if it was from some older version of the game.

Does anyone have any recollection of this? Is there some explanation for these sounds, or a way to hear them again (don't ask why I want to hear them [MTongue] )?
Last edited by Da Pissa on Jul 30th '11, 21:11, edited 1 time in total.

Da Pissa

Post Jul 30th '11, 21:44

I have no idea what your talking about. The sounds of M1A1 sound exactly like the sounds I remembered hearing a decade ago on my dad's old mac. Maybe there's different settings for sound quality?
VikingBoyBilly

Post Jul 30th '11, 21:47

I was not referring to M1A1. The sounds for that have always been good for me too. This was the original classic version. It might have been an early version.

Da Pissa

Post Jul 30th '11, 22:22

That's what I meant. The sounds in A1 sounded exactly like the sounds from the old mac demo I had, so I don't think it's the game itself but the settings on your friend's comp, or maybe there really is some warped early version out there with sounds reused from pathways into darkness and that alpha they made.
VikingBoyBilly

Post Jul 30th '11, 22:33

It's almost certainly something to do with the comp. I remember playing the old M1 original on my dad's old G3 and the sounds were no different than in M1A1. Music was really warped though, but I know that Quicktime 2.0 had something to do with that.
Polyplicity my second (less sucky) net pack. Go on. Download it. You know you don't want to.
Marathon Aeon- My scenario in the works ~on Simplici7y

riveting six-vertice amnesty ratifications

Dugit
Hampshire, UK

Post Jul 30th '11, 22:42

Interesting. I wonder how badly a computer could warp the sounds, though? They sounded like noises you would put in a video game, but not at all like the noises in Marathon and VERY loud and ear-piercing. Strange.

Da Pissa

Post Jul 31st '11, 03:34

Da Pissa wrote:Interesting. I wonder how badly a computer could warp the sounds, though? They sounded like noises you would put in a video game, but not at all like the noises in Marathon and VERY loud and ear-piercing. Strange.

I think it's a lot more likely that:
a) he was playing some game that totally wasn't marathon but you thought it was.
b) he was playing some game that wasn't marathon but had some mod that stole marathon art or something.
c) he was playing marathon, but had some mod with custom sounds.

I'll back up what everyone else says, the sounds in m1a1 are the same as real m1. if you don't believe it, download sheepshaver and install the original app.

edit: he probably also had is volume turned up too high.
Last edited by quartz on Jul 31st '11, 03:36, edited 1 time in total.

quartz

Post Jul 31st '11, 04:45

It's most likely that he was using a different Sounds file. I remember the M1 v0.0 Demo I had on this Mac Cube thing came with a bunch of custom Sounds files on it, among other things. I think the loudest and most obnoxious was the "Hardcore Sounds" file. It may fit Da Pissa's description. I'll see if I can get it somehow.
Last edited by President People on Jul 31st '11, 04:52, edited 1 time in total.
Love Marathon, and also play Doom on modern source ports? You might like these skins!

President People

Post Jul 31st '11, 05:28

quartz wrote:I think it's a lot more likely that:
a) he was playing some game that totally wasn't marathon but you thought it was.
b) he was playing some game that wasn't marathon but had some mod that stole marathon art or something.
c) he was playing marathon, but had some mod with custom sounds.

I'll back up what everyone else says, the sounds in m1a1 are the same as real m1. if you don't believe it, download sheepshaver and install the original app.

edit: he probably also had is volume turned up too high.

Perhaps I wasn't clear enough. I'm aware that M1 and M1A1 have the exact same sounds. This was just an M1 that happened to have really weird sounds. I've known the series since before Aleph One times.

President People: Do share! That should be interesting.

Da Pissa

Post Aug 1st '11, 02:20

I was able to extract the sounds from the original M1 sounds files through SheepShaver. I imported them into an M1A1 Shapes file. You can get the HardCore Sounds here from MediaFire. I'm very interested to see if it's the one you're talking about, Da Pissa.

The file is rather large, because ShapeFusion doesn't allow .AIFF files (even though it says it does). Converting them to .wav reduced their quality, so I tried converting them to .aif format. ShapeFusion allowed them, but the conversion inflated the file's sizes severely, increasing the Sounds file by about 10mb.

I'd upload the file to Simplici7y, but there are a few other Sounds files in the folder the HardCore Sounds came from, which I'd like to put into a single crappy upload, rather than several. ;)
Last edited by President People on Aug 1st '11, 06:34, edited 1 time in total.
Love Marathon, and also play Doom on modern source ports? You might like these skins!

President People

Post Aug 1st '11, 02:33

President People wrote:The file is rather large, because ShapeFusion doesn't allow .AIFF files (even though it says it does). Converting them to .wav reduced their quality, so I tried converting them to .aif format. ShapeFusion allowed them, but the conversion inflated the file's sizes severely, increasing the Sounds file by about 10mb.

What

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Aug 1st '11, 02:43

Treellama wrote:What

.AIFF files are greyed out when I try to import a sound file. This could be a problem on my end, because I seem to remember importing sounds a while ago without much difficulty. I don't know what could have caused ShapeFusion to reject them now.

President People

Post Aug 1st '11, 03:08

K, "what" explained:
  • The type of file you import has no bearing on the size of the resulting sounds file.
  • ShapeFusion does allow AIFF files, with the file extension .aif
  • Converting AIFF to WAV should not reduce quality, they're both typically uncompressed PCM audio
  • How on earth did you convert one file to another in the exact same format and end up adding 10 MB?
Last edited by treellama on Aug 1st '11, 03:11, edited 1 time in total.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Aug 1st '11, 04:05

Treellama wrote:K, "what" explained:
  • ShapeFusion does allow AIFF files, with the file extension .aif

Cool. Well, my problem's pretty much solved right there.

Treellama wrote:
  • How on earth did you convert one file to another in the exact same format and end up adding 10 MB?

I meant the M1A1 Sounds file itself after importing all of the .aif files.

The AIFF files increased by varying amounts during [?conversion], from about 50 up to a couple hundred kb. The AIFF files were made by pasting the snd resources from ResEdit to SoundEffects (A Sound Editing Program) in SheepShaver. I converted them to .aif and .wav format in OS X using Switch.
Last edited by President People on Aug 1st '11, 04:07, edited 1 time in total.

President People

Post Aug 1st '11, 06:42

The HardCore Sounds file is ready. I started a new topic so this topic doesn't get totally derailed in case it isn't the file Da Pissa was talking about, and/or a discussion on the sounds file follows.
Last edited by President People on Aug 1st '11, 06:43, edited 1 time in total.

President People

Post Aug 1st '11, 21:36

President People wrote:The HardCore Sounds file is ready. I started a new topic so this topic doesn't get totally derailed in case it isn't the file Da Pissa was talking about, and/or a discussion on the sounds file follows.

That's it! Well, sort of. The sound file that I remember didn't have all the silly one-liners (like the Bobs yelling, "You fucker!" and "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"), and I think the pistol had a bit more of a boom to it. Other than that, however, it's pretty much identical: The ear-piercing screams and snorts the Pfhor make, the overlong Bob death sounds with premature cutoffs, the whining airlocks, etc. Good to know I'm not just going crazy and wrongly remembering this, and that it wasn't just my friend's computer (it was a pretty shitty computer). What a stupid sound file! This actually CAME with the very first version of the demo? [MAngry]

Da Pissa

Post Aug 1st '11, 21:50

A strange thing happened when i created a new sound file for m1a1 the other day. I was trying to import new sounds into the file (which didn't work more or less) so I tried playing the sounds using the 8-bit option, and when i went to play, the sounds (all sounds) where VERY screwed up and EAR bursting!

then i tried it again with the regular sound file on 8-bit, and i discovered the same thing happened!

Anyhow, I'd thought I mention it, perhaps someone else should try using 8-bit sound option and see if it happens to you as well. they sure sounded exactly like what the OP described.

WARNING: keep your sound LOW unless you like ear damage ;)
Marathon D.R.E.A.M. copyright � 2008-2011- Is a future and ongoing SECRET project by Yours truly and Jjarandal productions � 2011- :
most patents pending and accepted. any and all material conceived by ME is property of me and gives no one a right to lay claim to my imagined stuff

***INCOMING MESSAGE***
Check out my blog, I've developed a little game pfhor you to play...

>> http://thedurpartment.blogspot.com/ <<

***END MESSAGE***
???Durandal???

Post Aug 1st '11, 23:26

Durandal347 wrote:A strange thing happened when i created a new sound file for m1a1 the other day. I was trying to import new sounds into the file (which didn't work more or less) so I tried playing the sounds using the 8-bit option, and when i went to play, the sounds (all sounds) where VERY screwed up and EAR bursting!

then i tried it again with the regular sound file on 8-bit, and i discovered the same thing happened!

Anyhow, I'd thought I mention it, perhaps someone else should try using 8-bit sound option and see if it happens to you as well. they sure sounded exactly like what the OP described.

WARNING: keep your sound LOW unless you like ear damage ;)

I have tried 8-bit before and it was pretty wretched sounding, but not like this sound file, which People and I just heard.

Oh MAN, I just tried playing the game with 8-bit Hardcore Sounds. Fucking agony. [MLaugh]

Da Pissa

Post Aug 2nd '11, 11:11

hee hee... man, hardcore in 8bit is a trip. someone should make a movie of that and upload it to youtube.

on a serious note, I remember tree or hopper at one point saying that 8bit sound didn't work right on modern OSs anymore, which is why it's so screwed up. same with 8bit color.

quartz

Post Aug 2nd '11, 11:13

Da Pissa wrote:What a stupid sound file! This actually CAME with the very first version of the demo? [MAngry]

see my comment in the other thread.

quartz

Post Aug 2nd '11, 11:22

quartz wrote:hee hee... man, hardcore in 8bit is a trip. someone should make a movie of that and upload it to youtube.

in fact, I think I'll go do that RIGHT NOW

quartz

Post Aug 2nd '11, 12:38

quartz wrote:on a serious note, I remember tree or hopper at one point saying that 8bit sound didn't work right on modern OSs anymore, which is why it's so screwed up

Nah, 8-bit sound should work fine. If it's messed up, someone might have added signed headers to an unsigned sound, or vice versa. Aleph One just obeys the headers.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Aug 2nd '11, 12:49

quartz wrote:in fact, I think I'll go do that RIGHT NOW

or not. screen recording with sound is a PITA apparently.

Treellama wrote:Nah, 8-bit sound should work fine. If it's messed up, someone might have added signed headers to an unsigned sound, or vice versa. Aleph One just obeys the headers.

8bit has never worked right on my machine on any aleph version, FWIW.
Last edited by quartz on Aug 2nd '11, 12:50, edited 1 time in total.

quartz

Post Aug 2nd '11, 13:25

quartz wrote:8bit has never worked right on my machine on any aleph version, FWIW.

What does that mean, "worked right?"
Last edited by treellama on Aug 2nd '11, 13:27, edited 1 time in total.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Aug 2nd '11, 16:53

BECAUSE I CAN
http://www.sneakertech.com/-/hardcore.mov

(youtube isn't working and I can't upload it here because it's too big, deal with it)

Treellama wrote:What does that mean, "worked right?"

see above. or rather listen, as the case may be.

quartz

Next

Return to Marathon Discussion