Weird sounds in old version of M1

For topics about the story, help in a certain level, game discussion, or finding/discussing content.

Post Aug 2nd '11, 17:24

fwiw, i can't really even tell a difference between 8- and 16-bit infinity sounds on my cheesy laptop speakers. certainly there's no screeching, and certainly 64-bit windows 7 qualifies as a modern OS. i agree with tl that modernity shouldn't have anything to do with it, and i want to add that palettized 8-bit color video is a different story, because of the specific hardware used to make it happen Way Back When. for an indicative blast from the programming past, look up the phrase "vga dac color registers". it's no surprise that this doesn't interact well with modern programs simultaneously using the graphics card.

i did watch your video. a more helpful example would use a standard sound file, rather than one possibly poorly constructed by a fan's (ab)use of shapefusion.
dude, seriously. dude.

thermoplyae

Post Aug 2nd '11, 17:30

thermoplyae wrote:certainly there's no screeching, and certainly 64-bit windows 7 qualifies as a modern OS

I thought I saw that in some post somewhere, but I guess I'm missremembering. maybe I'm confusing this with some other app.

thermoplyae wrote:i did watch your video. a more helpful example would use a standard sound file, rather than one possibly poorly constructed by a fan's (ab)use of shapefusion.

well, you can pretty much tell the extent of the damage just by listening to the chapter screen sounds and the bg music (take note of what the volume was originally, and what I turned it down to). the hc sounds are bad for sure, but not THAT bad. and anyway I recorded that just for the fun of it, I didn't even see tree's question until I came here to post the link.

quartz

Post Aug 2nd '11, 17:38

thermoplyae wrote:a more helpful example would use a standard sound file, rather than one possibly poorly constructed by a fan's (ab)use of shapefusion.

I agree. The standard three scenarios contain a mix of all three types of sounds: signed (M1A1 PiD door is the only one I can think of) and unsigned 8-bit (all the other 8-bit sounds), and signed 16-bit. If one of those isn't working correctly for you, please point it out.
Last edited by treellama on Aug 2nd '11, 17:38, edited 1 time in total.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Aug 2nd '11, 17:43

the background music is probably a clue, thanks
dude, seriously. dude.

thermoplyae

Post Aug 2nd '11, 17:48

Actually, I think that some of the Hardcore Sounds are pretty cool (mostly the weapon/environment sounds). The unconditional swearing (like the "Oh, shit!" every time something is hit with a Pfhor staff, regardless of whether it's actually a human), one-liners, and screeches can all rot in Hell, though.
Last edited by Da Pissa on Aug 2nd '11, 17:49, edited 1 time in total.

Da Pissa

Post Aug 3rd '11, 01:11

OK, you meant the 8-bit checkbox, not 8-bit sounds themselves. SDL in Mac OS X was returning a signed 8-bit buffer, just like we ask for, but telling us we could only have an unsigned 8-bit buffer. Hmmph!

Fixed in 1.0, the stupidest checkbox in all the prefs :)

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Aug 5th '11, 13:17

President People wrote:It's most likely that he was using a different Sounds file. I remember the M1 v0.0 Demo I had on this Mac Cube thing came with a bunch of custom Sounds files on it, among other things. I think the loudest and most obnoxious was the "Hardcore Sounds" file. It may fit Da Pissa's description. I'll see if I can get it somehow.

thats right it had the sounds from Aliens the simpsons and back to the future was really funny being called a butt head by a pfhor
headless

Previous

Return to Marathon Discussion