Lh'owon's daytime sky Blue or Yellow

For topics about the story, help in a certain level, game discussion, or finding/discussing content.

Post Dec 13th '11, 04:14

In Marathon 2 the daytime sky color (well when using 16 bit graphics at least) is yellow, while in infinity its blue, is this an intentional retcon by Bungie or is it because the Marathon 2 sky is at sunset while infinity's is not. I replaced the blue with yellow in the infinity landscape texture and it certainly changed the atmosphere and gave it a darker alien feel at least in my opinion. Anyway what do you think is Lh'owon's sky blue or yellow?
Last edited by Tfear7 on Dec 13th '11, 13:35, edited 1 time in total.
Tfear7

Post Dec 13th '11, 09:38

Blue is too Earth-like. Yellow does a better job of giving the planet an alien feel. While Craig Mullins depicts a wide range of different colored atmospheres for Lh'owon (for the sake of visual variety, I presume), Marathon 2's ending screen seems to indicate the planet's atmosphere is definitely not blue. Almost every single terminal pic confirms this as well (usually it's seen as peach, sometimes yellowish, but rarely anything else).

As for why the color of the atmosphere shifts in Marathon Infinity...
  • It could be a different time of day.
  • Or it could be for the sake of variety.
  • But since Marathon Infinity is in a different timeline than Marathon 2, it could be said to be in an alternate universe, which means just about anything is possible. The planet's atmosphere could be different compositionally (maybe due to some difference in terraforming). I'm not sure if this is the correct answer, but it's the one I like.

Ares Ex Machina

Post Dec 20th '11, 17:26

Ares Ex Machina wrote:[*]But since Marathon Infinity is in a different timeline than Marathon 2, it could be said to be in an alternate universe, which means just about anything is possible. The planet's atmosphere could be different compositionally (maybe due to some difference in terraforming). I'm not sure if this is the correct answer, but it's the one I like.
[/list]

In Marathon infinity, the sun is absent (or blew up), so there is no light to give it a blue hue, which raises the question "whats causing the blue sky ?", I find this to be quite odd myself.
Marathon D.R.E.A.M. copyright � 2008-2011- Is a future and ongoing SECRET project by Yours truly and Jjarandal productions � 2011- :
most patents pending and accepted. any and all material conceived by ME is property of me and gives no one a right to lay claim to my imagined stuff

***INCOMING MESSAGE***
Check out my blog, I've developed a little game pfhor you to play...

>> http://thedurpartment.blogspot.com/ <<

***END MESSAGE***
???Durandal???

Post Dec 20th '11, 18:53

Durandal347 wrote:In Marathon infinity, the sun is absent (or blew up), so there is no light to give it a blue hue, which raises the question "whats causing the blue sky ?", I find this to be quite odd myself.

Doesn't that depend on the level though? If the pfhor has blown the sun yet or not? Many timelines...all end with the failure of pfhor blowing up the sun.

goran

Post Dec 21st '11, 02:37

Durandal347 wrote:In Marathon infinity, the sun is absent (or blew up), so there is no light to give it a blue hue, which raises the question "whats causing the blue sky ?", I find this to be quite odd myself.

If the sun were blown up, there probably wouldn't even be a planet. And if it were mysteriously absent, there would be nothing but starlight -- which means no blue sky (or any sky color for that matter).

Edit:
And the planet would likely freeze!
Last edited by Ares Ex Machina on Dec 21st '11, 18:25, edited 1 time in total.

Ares Ex Machina

Post Jan 20th '12, 20:26

I'm not going to try to figure that one out.

But about the appearance of other planets' skies, I've found Orion's Arm - The Sky on Alien Worlds Due to Rayleigh scattering, an Earthlike planet orbiting a Sunlike star would have a sky with our sky's shade of blue. If if was much thicker, it would look less bluish, and at about 40 times our atmosphere's thickness, yellowish.

Craig F Bohren on Atmospheric Optics
C.F. Bohren and Alistair Fraser on Colors of the sky
5.4.2 - Sky Colors
Wikipedia has Extraterrestrial skies, complete with Mars's salmon-pink / light-orange sky. That's due to dust in that planet's atmosphere, and not surprisingly, it has the color of that planet's surface. While the Earth's atmosphere gases dominate the scattering with their Rayleigh scattering, Mars's atmospheric dust dominates the scattering there.

lpetrich

Post Jan 21st '12, 10:01

Cool stuff you dug up there. Since Lh'owon is a desert planet, and since the atmosphere often appears to be more or less the same color as the soil, Rayleigh scattering through dust would make sense.

I wonder if a breathable (for humans) concoction of peach or yellow atmosphere is feasible. I'm certainly no expert when it comes to this, but it seems like what constitutes breathable for us probably can't vary too much from our own blue recipe.

Ares Ex Machina

Post Jan 21st '12, 16:11

No, you're never on Lh'owon when the sun has been exploded.

That event is only the end of a given timeline, of which there are several in Infinity.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Return to Marathon Discussion