The Marathon Books by Alexander Smith

For topics about the story, help in a certain level, game discussion, or finding/discussing content.

Post Feb 15th '07, 18:05

Did any body read these?
Were they any good?
Its just like the story of the grasshopper and the octopus. All year long the grasshopper kept burying acorns for winter while the octopus mooched off his girlfriend and watched TV. Then the winter came, and the grasshopper died, and the octopus ate all his acorns and also he got a racecar. Is any of this getting through to you?
Favorite quote
ASYMPOTATOES http://asympotatoes.blogspot.com/
[viral]

megabyte
Asympotatoes, Mars

Post Feb 15th '07, 18:10

I didn't read them, I couldn't find them anywhere.

Phobos-Romulus
Rochester MI

Post Feb 15th '07, 18:28

you can order them from Borders
Its just like the story of the grasshopper and the octopus. All year long the grasshopper kept burying acorns for winter while the octopus mooched off his girlfriend and watched TV. Then the winter came, and the grasshopper died, and the octopus ate all his acorns and also he got a racecar. Is any of this getting through to you?
Favorite quote
[viral]

megabyte
Asympotatoes, Mars

Post Feb 15th '07, 19:45

Well, I don't know what they're like. Someone here said he liked them alot. He owned all three.

Phobos-Romulus
Rochester MI

Post Feb 15th '07, 20:04

ok i was thinking of getting them [MGrin]
Favorite quote
[viral]

megabyte
Asympotatoes, Mars

Post Feb 22nd '07, 02:24

Tell me how they are.

Phobos-Romulus
Rochester MI

Post Feb 22nd '07, 06:08

yes please tell!
Dieselfame3

Post Feb 22nd '07, 20:33

I own and have read the first book. It was quite good, but as much science fiction did at the time, it pretty much relies on the niftiness of the idea of space travel, which doesn't have as much impact as it does now. It's basically an intense interpersonal story that happens to take place in a spaceship.

The only thing it has in common with our Marathon is that it's a really really long journey with a bunch of people stuck in a spaceship and somebody goes crazy.

Definitely a worthwhile read though.

I'd love to get my hands on the 2nd and 3rd books.

kineticturtle

Post Mar 7th '07, 02:06

Got all 3 from ebay.
I have book 1 scanned - ready for ocr.
shawn(at)fsu: My nephew wants to start doing game modding ...
hux: If he likes Halo, try modding for Marathon, the older Bungie fps game.
interkin3tic: Noooo!!! I did that in high school and look where I am now: SLASHDOT!!!
W: it's long and obnoxious, i like it

Sam Lowry
Adelaide Australia

Return to Marathon Discussion