Your favorite Pfhor levels

For topics about the story, help in a certain level, game discussion, or finding/discussing content.

Post Jul 31st '12, 17:27

Dugit wrote:A Friend in Need â?? on a nice train of thought, here â?? comes to mind as even better as Pfhor Far Laam. As I recall, the level was extremely well thought-out, with clean action and some excellent architectural nuances.

RyokoTK wrote:A Friend in Need was a really good level, but that's the only Pfhor level I enjoyed, and it was on a really short list of levels I enjoyed at all in EX. But the fact that the Pfhor texture set is so bad made it, to me, not recommendable as a good example of Pfhor stuff.

Thank you guys! :)

I also made some of the less popular pfhor levels (dysmentria etc). I am both good and bad at pfhor levels :P

To me less blocky design and more curvy design has always been a staple of pfhor levels. Pools of goo help too, if the level permits them.
Last edited by goran on Jul 31st '12, 17:27, edited 1 time in total.

goran

Post Jul 31st '12, 17:42

goran wrote:To me less blocky design and more curvy design has always been a staple of pfhor levels. Pools of goo help too, if the level permits them.

I agree with this. Consequently, I am bad at making Pfhor levels; all three in Phoenix are very blocky.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Jul 31st '12, 20:04

Ares Ex Machina wrote:Incidentally, it is by far the hardest M2 map to complete fists-only on TC. 27 other maps, and not one of them comes close.

Part of the reason too is by now it is easy to know where the monster trigger polygons are, so you can get a good shot in advance, but yeah I have yet to try fists only in the later levels.

RyokoTK wrote:This level is so obnoxious on TC. There's like eight hundred Compilers in that room with all the goo. Get hit one time, and you take a drink.

Exactly, I just try to get through that side door and get across to the pattern buffer and 2X as often as I can, thankfully the low gravity does help (usually) in getting out of the media, if that should happen.
Last edited by Sharkie Lino on Jul 31st '12, 20:05, edited 1 time in total.
Marathon Player Since 1995.

If You Are Always Dying in The Game, You Are Not a Bad Player, You Are Learning.

Sharkie Lino
Long Island, New York

Post Jul 31st '12, 21:01

I haven't posted any maps ever, so I know what I say might not carry much weight, but I have a technique for making Pfhor maps which results in them usually looking very strange and alien. In Forge (don't know about the other editors) turn off grid, turn off constrain to grid, never zoom in or out, and never use the "shift" or "option" modifiers to control the length and alignment of the lines you're placing. This usually can help create your basic alien architecture which you can then polish up and elaborate on using the regular editor tools. I don't know if anyone else has tried this technique, but it's had some mediocre results and some amazing results when I've used it.
Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est

philtron

Post Jul 31st '12, 21:06

skraeling wrote:I haven't posted any maps ever, so I know what I say might not carry much weight, but I have a technique for making Pfhor maps which results in them usually looking very strange and alien. In Forge (don't know about the other editors) turn off grid, turn off constrain to grid, never zoom in or out, and never use the "shift" or "option" modifiers to control the length and alignment of the lines you're placing. This usually can help create your basic alien architecture which you can then polish up and elaborate on using the regular editor tools. I don't know if anyone else has tried this technique, but it's had some mediocre results and some amazing results when I've used it.

This is a normally worthwhile technique, but using the option modifier to control line length is crucial for getting certain detail textures to work right (like the blue wall texture with a 0.5 WU vertical bar going down it), as well as door textures and panels.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Jul 31st '12, 22:39

RyokoTK wrote:This level is so obnoxious on TC. There's like eight hundred Compilers in that room with all the goo. Get hit one time, and you take a drink.

I remember getting launched so high I would get juggled and die before hitting the goo, but yeah.

Ares Ex Machina

Post Aug 10th '12, 10:43

I find Rubicon's Hex level 73 kind of interesting, through its contrasting color scheme. An interesting proof of concept for colored lighting. Enforcers on the stage aren't particularly frustrating either since they're few in number and you can usually catch them before they become active.
Dracheseele

Previous

Return to Marathon Discussion