Stuck on level 7 of Marathon 1: Cool Fusion

For topics about the story, help in a certain level, game discussion, or finding/discussing content.

Post Aug 29th '12, 21:59

Ok so I'm on level 7: Cool Fusion on Marathon 1...I almost to the end, I got to the room "D" with the two switches, left switch turns the elevator in the first room on. But the right doesn't appear to do anything. When I backtrack to an elevator, north of room "A", the yellowbox, doesn't do anything. So it appears that I'm stuck, unless I'm missing something.


Any help at all would be great, I do not want to cheat if I don't have to.
Attachments
7WhereImStuck.gif
7WhereImStuck.gif (61.23 KiB) Viewed 2036 times
LDC2357

Post Sep 2nd '12, 16:28

Are you playing the most recent version of M1A1?

Activating those two switches *should* lower the platform into the pit (your yellow box) and also activate a large platform in the first room.

I play tested this in the current release of M1A1 so I know that it works (or at least it did).

Check to make sure both switches have been activated. There was a problem in the original version of M1A1 where one of the switches would not make an activation sound. Thus it was difficult to know if you had thrown it correctly. This was fixed in the recent release. Your best bet is to revert to a saved game before this area and replay making sure you activate both switches.


Cheers
Hamish


LDC wrote:Ok so I'm on level 7: Cool Fusion on Marathon 1...I almost to the end, I got to the room "D" with the two switches, left switch turns the elevator in the first room on. But the right doesn't appear to do anything. When I backtrack to an elevator, north of room "A", the yellowbox, doesn't do anything. So it appears that I'm stuck, unless I'm missing something.
Any help at all would be great, I do not want to cheat if I don't have to.
Godot

Post Sep 4th '12, 20:57

I'm having difficulty on this same level.

I fall into the pit where the two red X's are on that map and can't survive long enough to get back out! I'm on Total Carnage.

I was watching one of Miha's vidmaster challenge films on youtube (speaking of films, still don't even know how to record those and I don't see anything in the documentation... the finer points of Marathon don't seem very accessible to noobs) and saw that there's a secret with a flamethrower in the previous level. Maybe I need to replay from there and get that weapon to have a chance of surviving here.
fluffyheretic

Post Sep 5th '12, 00:22

If you think this level's fun, just wait and see the next one! (G4 Sunbathing)
And the one after that! (Blaspheme Quarantine)
AND the one AFTER THAT! (Bob-B-Q)

Eventually you'll reach the apex of the most funerrific Marathon maps of all time: a cute little map called Colony Ship For Sale. YOU'LL NEVER WANT TO STOP PLAYING! (That's a 100% factual statement)
VikingBoyBilly

Post Sep 5th '12, 16:21

First off, you get an A+ as a 'noob' playing on Total Carnage. And the 'pit' in Cool Fusion is where you earn it.

You don't need the secret flamethrower from the previous level to get though the pit on TC but it does help. Unfortunately finding the flamethrower is made much harder in M1A1 because there is no platform activation sound associated with the trigger area. The Marathon 2 engine treats distant sounds differently from the M1 engine apparently.

Here's a tip for beating the pit on TC. Make sure you have 2X health before you jump in. After you've triggered the doors to open get into a corner so that you don't have to worry about your back. Then blast away. It will probably take a number of attempts before you succeed but if it was too easy it wouldn't be fun. When you are more experienced you will learn how to berserk aliens to help you out of tight spots like this. When you are really really good you'll learn how to get an alien to drop down into the pit and trigger the doors to open. Then it's like shooting fish in a barrel. :)

Cheers
Hamish




fluffyheretic wrote:I'm having difficulty on this same level.

I fall into the pit where the two red X's are on that map and can't survive long enough to get back out! I'm on Total Carnage.

I was watching one of Miha's vidmaster challenge films on youtube (speaking of films, still don't even know how to record those and I don't see anything in the documentation... the finer points of Marathon don't seem very accessible to noobs) and saw that there's a secret with a flamethrower in the previous level. Maybe I need to replay from there and get that weapon to have a chance of surviving here.
Godot

Post Sep 5th '12, 16:51

fluffyheretic wrote:I was watching one of Miha's vidmaster challenge films on youtube (speaking of films, still don't even know how to record those and I don't see anything in the documentation... the finer points of Marathon don't seem very accessible to noobs)

Click "Save Last Film" after your game, at the menu screen. Note that Miha's will be slightly different since Aleph One cannot emulate the original Marathon engine exactly.
User avatar

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Sep 5th '12, 17:03

If only we could use FFmpeg to export films from Aleph One...
underworld : simple fun netmaps // prahblum peack : simple rejected netmaps
azure dreams : simple horrible netmaps // v6.0!!!: thomas mann's greatest hits : simple simple netmaps
User avatar

irons
(.Y.)

Post Sep 5th '12, 17:57

irons wrote:If only we could use FFmpeg to export films from Aleph One...

We should reinstate nightly builds.
User avatar

Wrkncacnter

Post Sep 5th '12, 18:50

VikingBoyBilly wrote:If you think this level's fun, just wait and see the next one! (G4 Sunbathing)
And the one after that! (Blaspheme Quarantine)
AND the one AFTER THAT! (Bob-B-Q)

Eventually you'll reach the apex of the most funerrific Marathon maps of all time: a cute little map called Colony Ship For Sale. YOU'LL NEVER WANT TO STOP PLAYING! (That's a 100% factual statement)

My sarcasm-radar is going off like crazy! [MGrin]

To be honest, Blaspheme Quarantine wasn't too hard. Okay, I admit I'm a Spazeroid that plays on Kindergarten (wait, was that redundant?), but seriously. G4 Sunbathing is definitely harder, but only because it's a vacuum (unfortunately, I'm never too fond of vacuum levels). The trick to Blaspheme is being observant of switches and platforms. And then Colony Ship is only tough on M1; the M1A1 version is way easier because Durandal forgot to hotwire the platforms to come back down. Finally, Bob-B-Q, I find, is actually the funnest of all the M1A1 maps. The lighting is awesome, the final platform-trick is awesome, the combat is awesome, the architecture is awesome: the level... is awesome. But then again, why take the word of a Spazeroid? [MWuh]

Cheers,
Perseus
Powerful experience to live in fear, isn't it? That's what it is to be a slave.
User avatar

PerseusSpartacus
Somewhere in the 19th Century...

Post Sep 5th '12, 18:52

G4 Sunbathing and Blaspheme Quarantine are perfectly fine levels, I'm not sure what you two are griping about. It's only Colony Ship that eats.
User avatar

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Sep 15th '12, 13:44

If you need an actual walkthrough of the level, I know of a good place to look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bltuHxX ... 6483DED33B

This guy has done a walkthrough of all 3 marathon games.
mini0013xx


Return to Marathon Discussion



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users