KTA IV Films

For topics about the story, help in a certain level, game discussion, or finding/discussing content.

Post Nov 3rd '12, 10:08

I'm almost done working through KTA IV on TC (completed Chapters I-V, except for Hunters May Howl, halfway through Chapter VI). I appreciated the division of the maps by approximate difficulty. It helped build my skill progressively, instead of getting stuck with lots of rage-quits.

Anyway, when I came across Purple Haze in Chapter VI, I was expecting a real doozy---Herbert West's other two maps were not easy. Instead, after finishing the level, I thought, "Holy crap, this is one of the few levels I can vid." Attached is a film (Be sure to select "Aleph One" on the "Film Playback" settings). Did anyone else find this level easy?

Some of the other maps on previous chapters are almost impossible. Bola soup in Chapter IV? Barely made it, one part almost by blind luck. I still can't finish Hunters May Howl. If someone can vid any of these maps (or any others), please post it for all to see. I'd like to see some true crowd-control skills.

By the way, there actually are a few great films on the Pfhorums. Check out these old films [topic="1758"]here[/topic] and [post="38046"]here[/post]. They still work, and knock the socks off anything you have seen on the severely outdated Vidmaster page. I still can't believe how insanely aggressive these films are.
Attachments
PurpleHaze.zip
(17.5 KiB) Downloaded 74 times

fiddler_on_a_roof

Post Nov 10th '12, 20:41

For awhile I was working on an Ironman run of chapter 1, though life got in the way and never got around to finishing it. Also can't really do multi-level recordings in a1 as I recall.

I did start putting together individual runs though, I'll have to find them and maybe try some new ones.

Edit: Went and did some runs of Hunters should howl, did it on the third attempt. Terrible but should help abit.
Attachments
Hunters_should_howl_recording.zip
(7.24 KiB) Downloaded 72 times
Last edited by Dracheseele on Nov 10th '12, 21:53, edited 1 time in total.
Dracheseele

Post Nov 12th '12, 06:37

Dracheseele wrote:For awhile I was working on an Ironman run of chapter 1, though life got in the way and never got around to finishing it. Also can't really do multi-level recordings in a1 as I recall.

I did start putting together individual runs though, I'll have to find them and maybe try some new ones.

Edit: Went and did some runs of Hunters should howl, did it on the third attempt. Terrible but should help abit.

Ahhh... so the trick is to quickly take the high ground after taking care of the first wave. Makes sense in general... somehow I got stuck in thinking inside the box on this one.

By the way, good film, even if you thought it was terrible. Besides being entertaining, I always could learn from better players.

fiddler_on_a_roof

Post Dec 4th '12, 10:19

Almost no activity on the Pfhorums in the past few weeks. I'll try a little to break the monotony.

Today I tried to vid the level "Victoria", probably my favorite level of KTA IV. I couldn't, for now. It's listed as an easy level, because of an accessible recharge+save point after you get past the first (somewhat long) wave. However, the level is long enough, and my skills are sucky enough, so that the probability of me passing through the whole thing without dying is still low. But the level is a real gem---beautiful architecture, satsifying use of shotguns, and just enough ammo so that you have to use each shell intelligently, i.e. by linin' them up, and letting them rip. Anybody that can vid this level, please post.

After failing at Victoria, I said screw it, let's just vid "Power Word Kill". This is just about the easiest level in KTA IV---almost anyone can do it---and still one of the most satisfying. You're given just one weapon, the SPNKR, and waves upon waves of enemies to use it upon. It's about as healthy for you as a bacon sundae. Attached is a film.

Experienced Marathon players will probably still notice that I'm not that good, but anyone can have their moments of awesome playing this level. Anyone else wants to shine (or one-up), post a film.
Attachments
PowerWordKill.zip
(11.65 KiB) Downloaded 70 times

fiddler_on_a_roof

Post Dec 10th '12, 23:53

So due to boredom, went and did Victoria. I really abuse the monster triggers and no monster/item zones. Somewhat happy with this one though as I take fairly little damage. Though the stage can certainly be done faster.

As a bonus I added a Power Word Kill recording I did awhile ago. I like it cause I do some neat things, and screw up spectacularly but still manage to push through like half the stage with a sliver of life.
Attachments
Power_Word_Kill_recording.filA.zip
(11.53 KiB) Downloaded 66 times
Victoria_recording.filA.zip
(14.6 KiB) Downloaded 67 times
Dracheseele

Post Dec 24th '12, 09:35

Here are two more films in the Kill Them All IV series: "City of Daggers" and "Supermassive Black Hole". They actually belonged to KTA II and KTA I, respectively.

City of Daggers is interesting because there are two very different ways to complete the level, depending on where you activate a certain switch. This switch not only releases some monsters, but also closes doors around the central recharging/save station.

Therein lies the main decision of this map: If you activate this switch while outside the recharging station, you have to fight a long way to get back to it, but the monsters are triggered only one wave at a time. If you activate this switch while within the recharging station, then obviously you have access to the recharger, but the monsters are all triggered all once and you are in a tough spot. I believe the first option is easier (there are plenty of canisters around, so you don't need to recharge), and this is the route I chose in this film. It would be badass if someone could post a film of the second option.

Supermassive Black Hole is a short level, and a good vid of it has already been posted on the Pfhorums (by the author himself). I've only posted here just to say that I did it. I take slightly less damage, but also am less aggressive. Raw aggression without dying takes real skill, which I have only in very limited quantities.

Finally, if you haven't seen Dracheseele's films in this thread, see them. He's the better player in this thread. I would also recommend of RyokoTK's films of Kill Them All I (check out his film of Scythe, where he basically triggers everything at once and then slaughters them).
Attachments
Supermassive.zip
(7.75 KiB) Downloaded 65 times
cityofdaggers.zip
(21.84 KiB) Downloaded 68 times

fiddler_on_a_roof

Post Feb 2nd '13, 14:00

On a whim, I decided to play "Victoria" after not trying it for a month or so. I was able to vid it this time after a few tries. It's not as good as Dracheseele's nearly flawless run already posted in this thread, but for what it's worth, here it is.

Again, if anyone cares to post any films, please do so, I'd like to see them. They don't have to be KTA, and they can also be multiplayer, co-op, etc. It's interesting to see other's playing styles. My original intention behind this topic is to post a few films to provoke a little friendly competition that would take a life of its own, i.e. "OK that's a legit film, but I can do a hell of lot better." I'm sure a ton of people can---I actually have pretty bad reflexes, and am a bit older than most people here.
Attachments
Victoria.zip
(16.78 KiB) Downloaded 66 times

fiddler_on_a_roof

Return to Marathon Discussion