What do I play now?

For topics about the story, help in a certain level, game discussion, or finding/discussing content.

What do I play now?

Post Jan 22nd '13, 19:37

I really liked Marathon Squadron. I enjoyed the interesting mid to long range combat and the assortment of weapons. I am on the last two levels and don't know what to play next. I want to play a game similar to it but I have trouble searching. Can someone help me? (I have played Marathon Phoenix and enjoyed that too)

Blackice

Post Jan 22nd '13, 19:42

If you like the textures, you should check out half life 2.

Wrkncacnter

Post Jan 22nd '13, 20:06

The second best rated scenario on Simplici7y is Marathon Aeon, or you could try some of the classics.

Switch
NYC

Post Jan 22nd '13, 22:31

ok. Thanks

Blackice

Post Jan 30th '13, 19:24

There is a more complete list.

viewtopic.php?t=11775

As one of the 'older' Marathoners, I see the responses are skewed towards the most recent scenarios. These scenarios are particularly enjoyable:

Return to Marathon
Erodrome Beta
Gemini Station
Marathon Dissent
Marathon: Fell
An AI Called Wanda
The Black Series
Siege of Nor'Korh
Vacation in Vilacamba
Rubicon - Xariim
The Origin of Species
Excalibur: Morgana's Revenge
Courier 11
Marathon: Atlantis
Megiddo
Keep the Home Fires Burning
The Incident at Quiliam
The Classified 19
The Yota Saga
Balapoel

Post Jan 30th '13, 21:28

wanted to play Return to Marathon, but when I download it, it comes up as a bunch of text.

Blackice

Post Jan 30th '13, 21:43

@Balapoel: You realize a good portion of that list can't be played on A1, right? You might be able to take a few and get them to work on A1, but some of those require Shapes patches, and people can't really do that with new computers. EMR is the exception to that list, since there is an A1 version of that here: http://www.excaliburworld.com/emr/emr3/ ... tions.html

I think it's possible to play Return to Marathon on A1, but I don't remember how.
Youtube Channel:Crosstroop3r // Traxus Wiki User Page: Crosstrooper
My Marathon uploads: Destiny

Destiny
USA

Post Jan 31st '13, 06:23

Actually I can play all of them in Aleph one. The version of Aleph One I'm using was released April 24, 2010. Just stick the files in - select the appropriate map, sounds, shapes, and you're good to go. I can play all of the old M2, Minf releases - just not M1 and related (like the original Trojan).
Balapoel

Post Jan 31st '13, 15:31

Balapoel wrote:Actually I can play all of them in Aleph one. The version of Aleph One I'm using was released April 24, 2010. Just stick the files in - select the appropriate map, sounds, shapes, and you're good to go. I can play all of the old M2, Minf releases - just not M1 and related (like the original Trojan).

You mean the ones in the list above, specifically, right? They must be distributed as ready-to-go files. Many of the early scenarios were distributed as patches that you had to apply to a copy of your Marathon whatever install. Just having the patch binary does no good these days, without classic Mac OS to run it on.

At one time there was discussion about "saving" these older scenarios by patching them and saving the results somewhere, which should be legal now that the Trilogy is free to distribute. Don't know what happened to that idea.
ChristTrekker

Post Jan 31st '13, 17:23

One of the benefits of being an old-timer... I first started in 1995, so all of those have been patched and complete for over a decade. I think Marathon Dissent was the only one I had trouble with on the new Intel Macs (and of course the M1 scenarios). I recall many scenarios were repackaged as SDL a few years back.
Search here:
http://archives2.bungie.org/cgi-bin/findmaps.cgi

Also, I forgot to mention Chai'etra Infinitus - another great scenario.
Balapoel

Post Jan 31st '13, 21:53

the RTM download didn't work. It says "Error 78- function not implemented" please help.

Blackice

Post Feb 1st '13, 06:47

did you try these files from here: http://archives.bungie.org/search.html

An alternative would be to get the original files patched in an older mac, I guess.

A Shapes patch and an MML script that allows Return To Marathon to be played with Aleph One. You still need the full Return to Marathon download - this simply patches the shapes file to get around a glitch in the Infinity version (the glitch doesn't affect the game under Infinity, but makes areas unplayable under A1) and replaces the patched RtM application. A fantastic example of how Fux! can be replaced with MML.
(5/7/2002) (469K) MOS Scenario
Raul Bonilla

In March, 1999, Antonio de Llamas released a single level preview for an ambitious project he'd undertaken - Return to Marathon. You were returning to the Marathon, abandoned after centuries of use, and things were not what they seemed. The response was tremendous... and now, finally, the Return to Marathon team brings you Return to Marathon v1.0. Three levels of spooky, semi-familiar surroundings... incredible terminal art, tons of new creatures, new weapons, plenty of eye candy, a suspenseful storyline... it's not easy, you'll have to work to get through it. This is not for the faint-of-heart... but the adrenaline rush you got when you first played Marathon is back.
Also available in floppy-sized chunks.

Mirrored at datavault.geeklair.net, thanks to Ben Reiter.

(2/14/2001) (23219K) Inf Scenario
Antonio de Llamas
Balapoel

Post Feb 1st '13, 13:25

Balapoel wrote:A Shapes patch and an MML script that allows Return To Marathon to be played with Aleph One. You still need the full Return to Marathon download - this simply patches the shapes file to get around a glitch in the Infinity version (the glitch doesn't affect the game under Infinity, but makes areas unplayable under A1)

Aleph One should be fully compatible with Infinity scenarios...can you describe the nature of the glitch?

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Feb 1st '13, 16:58

That text is the original uploader's description in marathon archives. I have no idea what problems the earlier poster here has been having. As I said, I can play it with no problem.
Balapoel

Post Feb 5th '13, 20:57

If you can play it, then why do I have a problem?

Blackice

Post Feb 5th '13, 22:33

I did a quick search, and I'm making an educated guess that Balapoel is in fact the author of one of the major scenarios of old, Marathon Fell. It's very large (35 levels) and although I haven't finished it, it's quite fun and has some creative map making.

There is a complete A1 conversion on Fileball, so you can play the scenario no matter what setup you have. Since it uses only the standard Infinity weapons, you can even copy over the XBLA HUD plugin from Infinity if you like to maximize your screen real estate.

fiddler_on_a_roof

Post Feb 7th '13, 08:39

Guilty as charged... Also helped put together Origin of Species... Glad to see Marathon is still alive with new scenarios.
Balapoel

Post Feb 7th '13, 14:13

Balapoel wrote:Guilty as charged... Also helped put together Origin of Species... Glad to see Marathon is still alive with new scenarios.

Now I know who I can pick on to update those articles on Traxus. ;)
ChristTrekker

Post Feb 7th '13, 21:40

Well - I think I've done my part in creating original content - and I produced a catalog of scenarios up to 2000 - I'll let others take it from there.
Balapoel

Post Feb 7th '13, 22:22

Pretty neat to see a creator of an old scenario lurking the forum. :)
Youtube Channel:Crosstroop3r // Traxus Wiki User Page: Crosstrooper
My Marathon uploads: Destiny

Destiny
USA

Return to Marathon Discussion