Updated Vidmaster's Challenge, anyone?

For topics about the story, help in a certain level, game discussion, or finding/discussing content.

Updated Vidmaster's Challenge, anyone?

Post Feb 4th '13, 19:47

I'm thinking about starting an updated Vidmaster's Challenge for the original triology. The old Vidmaster's Challenge was a novelty for its time, but quickly turned into a slow (and in my opinion, somewhat boring) punchfest due to a lack of weapons or ammo. Also, the vidmasters of old were mostly keyboarders whose aiming would not pass muster according to modern standards. They still did amazing things, but at the end of the day, it wasn't all that fun to watch.

In order to inject new life into the Vidmaster's Challenge, only a simple scripting change would be needed. At the beginning of each level, the player would be gifted with all the weapons, but with no ammo, except for the usual 3 pistol clips. This would technically make the Challenge easier than the original, but much more dynamic and fun, e.g. levels like "Begging for Mercy Makes Me Angry" would take just minutes instead of close to an hour. Also, the only rule for the new Challenge would be to vid-start the level at Total Carnage difficulty---the rest of the rules are quite silly in my opinion.

I also think standards of play have risen over the years---it would be entertaining to see what the best players would do now. I certainly do not consider myself as a vidmaster; I can vid levels to get things started, but I think there are plenty of others here that could do so with lots more style.

Anyways, would anyone be interested in this updated Vidmaster's Challenge? Also does anybody have an idea how to make such a script work?
Last edited by fiddler_on_a_roof on Feb 5th '13, 17:02, edited 1 time in total.

fiddler_on_a_roof

Post Feb 5th '13, 14:46

Are you not talking about the actual Vidmaster's Challenge levels in Infinity? Those levels have plenty of ammo.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Feb 5th '13, 16:09

No, sorry about the confusion. I'm talking about all the levels in the original triology.

fiddler_on_a_roof

Post Feb 6th '13, 22:28

I poked around MML a bit, and made a tiny plugin for Marathon 2 and Infinity that grants the player the following basic items when they vid-start a level:

a) 1 pistol + 3 clips
b) 1 fusion pistol
c) 1 shotgun
d) 1 assault rifle

The reason for this, as hinted in the original post, is that most levels in the original trilogy don't have the requisite weapons for vidding a level without resorting to your fists most of the time. This means that most of the ammo designed for the level is wasted, and the resulting vids are long and somewhat boring to watch. The attached plugin should make the vidding experience more fun, and closer to what normal play should be like.

Although this plugin makes vidding a level easier, it still can be damn hard. After all, you still have to beat the whole level starting from 1x shields on Total Carnage without saving.

To use the plugin, just drop the unzipped folder in your Plugins folder. I made it a plugin so that you can enable/disable it within Aleph One.

If anyone has any vids to share using this plugin, please post! I'll try to make some of my own, although I know many people here can do much better.
Attachments
VidmasterStartingWeapons.zip
(599 Bytes) Downloaded 80 times

fiddler_on_a_roof

Post Feb 20th '13, 15:15

I just saw a interesting thread on the story forum of some Marathon old-timers expressing the same sentiments I echoed in this thread, including John Sumner and Gary Simmons.

By the way, attached is a sample vid of the Marathon 2 level, "Eat It, Vid Boi." You will need the tiny plugin that I attached in the earlier post to view it. I make a lot of mistakes in it, and completely suck at punching in general, but the gameplay is more dynamic. In normal circumstances, the level only gives you a fusion pistol close to the end, so having the basic weapons available at the beginning is a help.

In general, the plugin is only useful for level that don't give you guns that you need. And if you haven't noticed already, please disable the plugin if you want to watch other vids that don't use it.
Attachments
EatItVidBoi.zip
(28.4 KiB) Downloaded 76 times
Last edited by fiddler_on_a_roof on Feb 20th '13, 20:21, edited 1 time in total.

fiddler_on_a_roof

Post Feb 20th '13, 19:26

John Sumner is a real vidmaster. Much respect to the man.

Let me say for the record Jorge that I agree with everything you say. I have never, ever stated that I thought a "fists only" film was an entertaining film to watch. In general, it won't be. As I have said before, each person has to decide for themselves the answer to the question "Why would anyone care to vid a level of a scenario?" Each person will have their own answer. AS FOR ME, the overwhelming reason why I love to vid the levels of a scenario is simply "for the challenge". And to me, I can think of no greater challenge than to vid a level of a scenario using only my Fists.
Sure, I could come up with some "spoiler films" (see more about that below), but I would never refer to them as vid films. I will not violate that sacred rule.

goran

Post Feb 20th '13, 20:14

Yes, I agree, John Sumner did some amazing things. He has vidded more levels with only his fists than any other, a feat that takes lots of skill and especially patience. And I respect the fact that he only does it for himself, for the challenge.

Personally, I like films for a different reason, but that's just me.

To put John's quote in context, the "sacred rule" that he is referring is to play every level on Total Carnage, a feat that is basically impossible on Marathon Red, guns or sans guns. Thus the "spoiler films" for Red that John made are on Kindergarten (which I heard is still hard in Red), and are designed to just show players what to do if they are stuck. John would have never considered these "vid" films because they are not done on Total Carnage, and not necessarily because they were done with or without weapons.
Last edited by fiddler_on_a_roof on Feb 21st '13, 01:01, edited 1 time in total.

fiddler_on_a_roof

Post Feb 20th '13, 22:16

http://simplici7y.com/items/statistics-lua

Use this, and let me know what you get on a level.

goran

Post Feb 21st '13, 01:12

goran wrote:Use this, and let me know what you get on a level.

Perhaps there is a misunderstanding? :blink: I didn't expect to be called out here. I've edited my previous post to better reflect what I was trying to say.

fiddler_on_a_roof

Return to Marathon Discussion