What timeline does Ne Cede Malis take place in?

For topics about the story, help in a certain level, game discussion, or finding/discussing content.

What timeline does Ne Cede Malis take place in?

Post Feb 20th '13, 20:23

So I've been trying to work on a theory that I haven't seen posted before, and one of the things it's dependent on is when Marathon Infinity starts. The guys on Bnet seemed to think that Ne Cede Malis was after then end of Marathon 2, but I think I've found enough reasons to suggest otherwise. This is a copy-pasta of what I wrote there.

Marathon Infinity does a lot of timeline jumps, but it seems to have been taken as given that it starts at the end of Marathon 2. I don't think this is the case.

So a brief and relevant timeline of Marathon 2:

-Durandal shows up in his stolen P'fhor attack ship and destroys the garrison (Battle Group 3) That's been sent to guard L'howon in the unlikely event that Durandal shows up. (source: Marathon 2 Manual

-Durandal sends the security officer on a series of missions against the P'fhor on the planet, as well as on recon missions to learn about the S'pht, and to find a way to call back the 11th clan.

-Durandal receives a message confirmed to be from Tycho.
("What About Bob?" in Marathon 2 and "Confound Delivery" in Marathon Infinity)

-Battle Group 7 arrives and engages Durandal.

UESCTerm 802.11 (remote override) 1016 05.10.2337

Battle Group Seven arrived sooner than I
expected. The Pfhor fleet consists of
seven corvettes similar to my own, four
destroyers, a battleship, and an assault
carrier.

They are passing the orbits of the outer
planets now, headed for Lh'owon.
PgUp/PgDn/Arrows to Scroll Return/Enter to Acknowledge

-Durandal Loses the battle
(6000 Feet Under)

UESCTerm 802.11 (remote override) 1453 05.10.2337
EPAL4mm//toneskfa31'loa'kr

The Pfhor fleet has won, and Tycho is with
them. My ship is crippled. I am trying to
make an emergency landing on Lh'owon's
second moon, Y'loa.

---

Look everywhere. The answer to our
questions must be here, but you must hurry.

I will need you with me, soon.

Among other information located in the S'pht computers, it is here that you find the one and only reference to the W'rkncacnter in Marathon 2.
/-/Spht-Translator-Active/-/

In primordial space, timeless creatures
made waves. These waves created us and the
others. Waves were the battles, and the
battles were waves.

Fleeing all W'rkncacnter, Yrro and Pthia
settled upon Lh'owon. They brought the
S'pht, servants who began to shape the
deserts of Lh'owon into marsh and sea,
rivers and forests. They made sisters for
Lh'owon to protect and maintain the paradise.

When the W'rkncacnter came, Pthia was
killed, and Yrro in anger, flung the
W'rkncacnter into the sun. The sun burned
them, but they swam on its surface.

If I am correct, this is where Marathon Infinity starts.

In Marathon 2, Durandal then crash lands Boomer onto Y'loa. He then brings the SO up to Y'loa, and has the SO (seemingly) destroy him to evade capture by Tycho, after which, the P'fhor capture the SO. The SO later escapes, summons the 11th clan via Toth, and battle group seven burns in L'howon's skies.

Durandal (now resurrected) then leaves a final warning for the SO:

UESCTerm 802.11 (remote override) 1357 05.10.2337

The Pfhor invasion of Sol has been
recalled, and for now Earth is safe. But
man's respite from war means another
cataclysmic battle for the S'pht. The
slavers have not suffered a defeat like the
one we handed them today since the Nakh,
the last extant client race of the Jjaro,
rebelled six thousand years ago.

The Pfhor have a weapon they save for slave
revolts; a weapon which even they hesitate
to use in the ordinary conduct of war. In
the language of the Jjaro who conceived and
built the device, it is called the trih
xeem; a fair English translation would be
"early nova".

There is not a single Nakh alive today, and
if you look for their stars, you will only
find ever-expanding clouds of superheated
gas and dust light-years in diameter.

The evacuation of Lh'owon has already
begun. In a matter of hours this planet
will be a thin shell of plasma riding the
shockwave of its exploding star.

You can stay behind to work on your tan, if
you'd like, but I'm leaving.

I have rechristened the Khfiva the
Rozinante. Of course, the S'pht wanted to
name it "K'liah'Narhl", "Vengeance of K'lia".

Whatever.

There is much to do in the next few months
and our first stop will be another ruined
world, this time far from the galactic
core. There is a rogue star that has been
passing through our galaxy for nearly a
millennia.

We will meet it in one of the great voids
between the spiral arms.

At the start of Marathon Infinity, we are on a space station with textures, lighting, architecture, and sounds that are nothing like anything we've been on in previous games. This doesn't seem anything like the planet we were going to, and everything just feels wrong. All we find is this one message from Durandal.

UESCTerm 802.11 (remote override) 1802 05.10.2337

~text interface terminal malfunction error ~2992dud

Things have gone terribly awry. Until now, I thought myself immortal, but now I know that is not true. There are things that can destroy me with the ease that I slaughtered the Pfhor naval garrison and the Western Arm of their Battle Group Seven. But in their final gasp they used a weapon that I thought they had retired, even Tycho tried to keep them from using it.

Now I fear what that weapon has unleashed will destroy us. I once boasted to be able to count the atoms in a cloud, to understand them all, predict them, and so did I predict you, but this new chaos is entirely terrible, mindless, obeying rules that I don't comprehend. And it is hungry.

It's too bad, perhaps if I could have delayed the Pfhor from using their weapon, I could have sent you to explore the ruins of Lh'owon, perhaps what you found would give us the answers that we now need so desparately: how to stop this chaos, the purpose of the station on which you're currently standing, and why the chaos hasn't come here yet.

But with each moment the chaos grows, I am doomed to die here, after so many triumphs. I have detected one ship nearby, which I can only guess is being commanded by Tycho. The Pfhor have entered the station, and if you can find a way onto their ship, you may be able to escape. To escape. To escape.

It's too bad, perhaps if I could have delayed the Pfhor from using their weapon, I could have sent you to explore the ruins of Lh'owon, perhaps what you found would give us the answers that we now need so desparately: how to stop this chaos, the purpose of the station on which you're currently standing, and why the chaos hasn't come here yet.

But with each moment the chaos grows, I am doomed to die here, after so many triumphs. I have detected one ship nearby, which I can only guess is being commanded by Tycho. The Pfhor have entered the station, and if you can find a way onto their ship, you may be able to escape. To escape. To escape.

So most of us assumed that the P'fhor destroyed L'howon's sun at the end of Marathon 2, and released the W'rkncacnter, and we just barely made it to this station as things went to hell. You then go on to warp back to Tycho's ship, which is at L'howon before Durandal, along with battle group 7.

The Marathon Infinity Manual:
Report to Lh'owon Command

<Transmission to Pfhor High Command>
<From Tfear - Lh'owon High Command>

The battle on Lh'owon had gone according to projections: that to trap Durandal and end the threat of Tau Ceti, we would, as we did with the Drinniol rebellion, be forced to use the "trih xeem." Forcing a star into early nova has proved most satisfactory at destroying what we could not control.

To a commander, the presence of things beyond one's control leads directly to the conclusion that they must be destroyed. In the countless encounters of the Pfhor Naval Arm, there has never been an ultimate defeat. We have, through our supreme power and tactics, always prevailed.

All of this explains why as our Great Admiral, and with my own destruction now completely assured, I give you, High Council of Pfhor, warning that we have met our demise. Yet it comes not from threat of Tau Ceti as we feared, but from a being of such destructive power that to control it would be to control the universe.

What follows is my briefing of the events here on Lh'owon leading up to the current situation:

The trap we set for Durandal went off as planned. We tricked him into believing that we were weeks away from Lh'owon while, in fact, we were hiding in the outer Lh'owon system. We waited quietly while Durandal dispatched the garrison fleet's picket ships, and we used the data from this battle to discover some of the modifications that Durandal had made to our captured scoutship.

When we sprung our trap, it appeared at first that our quarry had expected it, but we adapted our positions, surrounded, and disabled his ship with acceptable losses. We caused his retreat to a heretofore undetected station located in an asteroid field on the fringe of the Lh'owon system. (Of course, according to protocol, the appropriate officers were notified and executed).

Although he evaded destruction, he was nonetheless trapped. This contingency was taken into account in the overall battle strategy. The battle plan was proceeding according to acceptable parameters.

I ordered the deployment of the "trih xeem."

Almost immediately, our enemy then began transmitting ridiculous warnings concerning some sort of ancient chaotic being trapped deep in the Lh'owon sun. Of course, at this point mercy was unacceptable. The time to end the collective dream of the S'pht had come.

I ordered the fleet to retreat to a safe distance, and waited for my moment of glory. What happened next is the reason for my warning at the beginning of this report and the destruction of the Western Arm of Pfhor Battle Group Seven.

The nova went off on time and for a moment our simple victory was assured. But then, in a pathetic failure of discipline, the fleet's ranks broke in an all-out retreat. All quarters reported the same thing: half of the sun had gone nova, but the readings from the other half were impossible. It was as if the universe had forgotten its own rules.

I can't tell you what's going on now, I can only hope that this message reaches you through whatever is surrounding us. I gave the fleet general order "Attack at will" but none of our weapons seem to affect whatever we're firing at. This battleship has only seconds of integrity left, and I have no more information except for Durandal's warning:

"On the Marathon, I saw your stupidity through the lens of victory. And now I see it in defeat. Maybe it is fate that your ignorant pride would unleash this horror and destroy the galaxy."

<End Transmission>
<Transmission Accepted>

So it would seem the reason Battle group 7 got there so quickly was that they were already there. The one thing out of place, the one thing that doesn't match, is that instead of going to Y'loa, Durandal goes to a "heretofore undetected station" and begins broadcasting warnings. Clearly, this is the same station from Ne Cede Malis, and the start of Infinity.

Putting it all together, there is clearly a split between Marathon 2 and the beginning of Marathon Infinity, and that split happens at "6000 Feet Under."

The same place you first read about the W'rkncacnter.

Spurious Interrupt

Post Feb 20th '13, 22:01

If you haven't read it already, this Story forum thread covers a lot of ground on the Marathon timelines and Ne Cede Malis' place. There are a couple of diagrams to pick over too. That last link agrees with the idea that Infinity's Manual and NCM are both incompatible with M2's ending, as well as being inconsistent with each other.

Personally, I'm fond of the theory that Ne Cede Malis was all a dream, but that's probably too easy a way out of the contradictions.

Hopper

Post Feb 21st '13, 09:05

Personally, I like this one.

Ares Ex Machina

Post Feb 21st '13, 09:19

Don't forget this timeline too, a improved version of the latter.

Ninja'd by Ares.

Pfhorrest
California

Post Feb 21st '13, 18:18

Ares Ex Machina wrote:Personally, I like this one.

That's significantly better than all the others I've seen.

Sorry if this is the wrong forum by the way, I didn't see the story forum.

Spurious Interrupt

Post Feb 22nd '13, 03:13

Spurious Interrupt wrote:
Ares Ex Machina wrote:Personally, I like this one.

That's significantly better than all the others I've seen.

Thanks! [MGrin]

Sorry if this is the wrong forum by the way, I didn't see the story forum.

This isn't the wrong forum per se; story discussion is welcome here too. "The Story Forum" is a proper noun indicating the forum attached to the Marathon Story Page, located at forums.bungie.org/story/, and that just happens to be the place where most of us old-timers doing in-depth story analysis have posted things like these timelines. [MGrin]

Pfhorrest
California

Post Feb 22nd '13, 06:09

Let's not kid ourselves. This is the wrong forum.

Wrkncacnter

Post Feb 22nd '13, 22:45

I myself am a proponent of the theory that the entirety of Infinity occurs in Ryoko's mind as he stares into a snowglobe, listening to his father and grandfather talk.
(●__●)(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)(●__●)

Asylum

Return to Marathon Discussion