Marathon: Durandal speed-run in 34:55

For topics about the story, help in a certain level, game discussion, or finding/discussing content.

Marathon: Durandal speed-run in 34:55

Post Feb 24th '13, 07:52

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toYjANFuJaY

Single-segment speed run of Marathon: Durandal for Xbox Live Arcade done in 0:34:55 on 'Kindergarten' difficulty.

Currently the fastest time that I know of, and the only one.

All comments are welcome.

NobilityV3

Post Feb 24th '13, 12:30

I actually watched this.

And despite being done on Kindergarten, it has several things going for it. Starting from "What about Bob?" and at key points onward, it's an impressive display of grenade jumping, sometimes to just the right point. It shows a good amount of secrets. And the amount you have to remember about the levels is mind-boggling, especially since you can't skip levels like in Infinity.

And going across the last lava lake in "All Roads Lead to Sol" with less than a bar of life, knowing that this entire run attempt would fail at the last moment if you die? That either takes brass cojones, or secure knowledge of exactly how wimpy Kindergarten is. ;)

fiddler_on_a_roof

Post Feb 24th '13, 16:14

I am very impressed by your run. The grenade jumping was awesome in the truest sense of the word. How long did you train to accomplish 0:34:55?

goran

Post Feb 24th '13, 22:46

Thank you for the feedback. :D

And to answer your question about training, I started out speed-running the game when everyone kept asking me to help them beat the game, either friends or people who've seen me on the leaderboard. I've probably beaten the game 50+ times and once you've done something like that over, and over again it pretty much comes routine. When I actually focused on getting a legitimate time on the internet and started doing individual timed runs I found several new things every single time I attempted a new run. Even now after the recording I found improvements, but I would say it'd be near impossible to get sub-34.

NobilityV3

Post Feb 25th '13, 14:51

I can only imagine doing this on PC (with mouse and keyboard) would improve your play a little bit? Still pretty impressive.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Feb 26th '13, 04:53

RyokoTK wrote:I can only imagine doing this on PC (with mouse and keyboard) would improve your play a little bit? Still pretty impressive.

Not really. There's some differences between console and PC and the advantages go to console in that respective.

NobilityV3

Post Feb 26th '13, 05:56

Uh oh. Now Ryoko's going to have to prove his point by beating your time using mouse and keyboard.

Wrkncacnter

Post Feb 26th '13, 06:06

Well done. I haven't played the XBLA version of the game, but it looks as though gravity is even lower than in the original, which makes skirting across liquids and whatnot even more lucrative. The instant load times don't hurt, either. ;)

Crater Creator

Post Feb 26th '13, 09:52

Wrkncacnter wrote:Uh oh. Now Ryoko's going to have to prove his point by beating your time using mouse and keyboard.

Not possible. Load times between levels, chips, and weapons are all longer on PC. They're non-existent on the console version. Among other things...I believe I've fully optimized the speed for this game aside for the rocket jump on Kill Your Television.

But yeah, give it a shot, it'd be nice to have someone else run the game.

NobilityV3

Post Feb 28th '13, 19:41

Crater Creator wrote:I haven't played the XBLA version of the game, but it looks as though gravity is even lower than in the original

"Conformance with the original game was always the highest priority when modifying the engine."

Hopper

Post Mar 31st '13, 04:17

Soooo, Ryoko ever going to compete? :rolleyes:

NobilityV3

Post Apr 1st '13, 02:17

It's the year two thousand and fucking thirteen and this is a camcorder video.
Enzan

Post May 3rd '13, 02:18

Enzan wrote:It's the year two thousand and fucking thirteen and this is a camcorder video.

Precisely. It's an old game and I wanted to go for that authentic feeling.

NobilityV3

Post May 7th '13, 02:03

NobilityV3 wrote:
Enzan wrote:It's the year two thousand and fucking thirteen and this is a camcorder video.

Precisely. It's an old game and I wanted to go for that authentic feeling.

Professionals used actual video capture even back then. The only reason that fanmade videos were done with a camcorder back then was because video capture software/hardware was far less accessible to the average consumer at the time. There's really no excuse, it looks fugly no matter what way you try to artificially justify it.

Blastfrog

Post May 7th '13, 05:06

Give him a break. It's a good speed run---can *you* grenade jump like that? Do you want him to redo it just so that the camcorder stuff doesn't bother you?

Kids these days...

fiddler_on_a_roof

Post May 9th '13, 00:00

fiddler_on_a_roof wrote:Give him a break. It's a good speed run---can *you* grenade jump like that? Do you want him to redo it just so that the camcorder stuff doesn't bother you?

Kids these days...

I'm not asking him to redo it, I'm just saying that's a weak excuse to criticism of the video quality. And yes, it's a great speedrun, my comment had nothing to do with the high gameplay quality, just the low video quality.

Blastfrog

Post May 20th '13, 23:46

Luckily for you, and you only, Blastfrog since you seem to be the only one concerned with it, I'll be doing a run via a capture card. I've been attempting it lately to get up to par with my best time, but I'm having terrible "recording luck", it's just not that easy.

NobilityV3

Post May 23rd '13, 19:31

How do you run so fast and how do you exert so much force from grenade hopping with the rifle? Is this only available to Aleph One? I still play the old Marathon but I can't seem grenade hop like that.
durandal

Post May 29th '13, 09:06

durandal wrote:How do you run so fast and how do you exert so much force from grenade hopping with the rifle? Is this only available to Aleph One? I still play the old Marathon but I can't seem grenade hop like that.

I'm not actually running faster it's just that this port runs at 60 FPS which is probably why it seems that way. And don't ask me why, but they changed the grenade jumping physics for some reason. I tried doing a forward grenade jump like the one I did in the video a lot on Aleph One and it simply does not work.

Also some more notable differences regarding speed is that all the weapons and items spawn in faster. The load times between levels are also almost instant.

NobilityV3

Return to Marathon Discussion