Weapon design changes between Marathon 1 and 2

For topics about the story, help in a certain level, game discussion, or finding/discussing content.

Weapon design changes between Marathon 1 and 2

Post Mar 24th '13, 02:48

I've been wondering, are the revised weapons in Marathon 2 the "new" canon appearance of the weapons, just like the changes made to the Pfhor Fighter, Juggernaut and Spht? Or are these particular designs new ones created by the Spht when manufacturing new weapons for the humans, and that the Marathon 1 designs are still canon?

If that's the case, then what about the unknown alien weapon? In M1, it acted like a machinegun, in M2, it became far less bulky, and shot just as damaging (afaik) but far slower fireballs instead of near instant ballistic impact. Was this again a design choice change, and the M2 designs are canon by default, or are both designs of the unknown alien weapon still canon?

Also, same deal with the silverish M1 HUD vs. the more rusty brown M2 HUD. Was this meant to indicate the suit modification Durandal told you about? Or in canon, would the marine have still seen the same HUD in his helmet visor regardless?

Blastfrog

Post Mar 24th '13, 04:38

I was a bit thrown off by your use of the word "canon". As far as I know, anything in the original Marathon trilogy is considered canon, and anything outside is not.

Anyway, take a look at this link, if you haven't seen it already

http://marathon.bungie.org/story/weapons.html

fiddler_on_a_roof

Post Mar 25th '13, 07:18

My S'pht have disassembled the weapons and
ammunition you brought with you from Tau
Ceti. They are attempting to mass-produce
small arms and ammunition based on those
weapons, both for you and the humans on
board my ship.

The pistol and assault rifle you are using
now are the first results of their efforts,
although I realize they are inadequate
substitutes for the heavier weapons we
deprived you of.

The S'pht [are] working hard on the fusion
pistol now, and I will transport it to you
as soon as it is ready. You'll need it
when you begin fighting the armored Pfhor
hunters.

source

So I have no reason to believe any of the weapons in M2 weren't manufactured by the S'pht, with the exception of the alien weapon. The alien weapon might be, since I could easily see the Pfhor forcing their slaves to manufacture their weapons, but I can't think of any proof one way or the other. As far as I can recall, the alien weapon is never mentioned in any terminal text.

For the HUD, I did get the sense that in Marathon 1 it's understood that what you see on screen is literally what the marine sees through his cybernetic eyes, HUD and all. In Marathon 2 they seemed to move away from this idea, probably because they didn't need it to be so prominent for technical reasons anymore. Though again, this is just my general impression and I'd have to check the manuals for the definitive word.

Crater Creator

Post Mar 25th '13, 21:16

Crater Creator wrote:For the HUD, I did get the sense that in Marathon 1 it's understood that what you see on screen is literally what the marine sees through his cybernetic eyes, HUD and all.

The HUD we see is not literal. Much of it is there for us as players, not the character we play as. Think about it; it's outside of his field of vision and has additional decoration that fits in with Marathon's sci-fi theme. What would be the purpose of rendering industrial design into a soldier's HUD?

At the time of Marathon's release, I doubt there was any easy or hardware considerate way of incorporating what the character actually sees into the HUD we see. If he has a HUD, it would have to be a minimally intrusive overlay, otherwise it could create impairing blind spots. And it probably wouldn't have everything we see in the floating HUD either.

For example, why would he need a picture of the weapon he's using? I think he knows damn well what he's holding. If he's picking up a new weapon for the first time, it would make sense to have the option of pulling up additional info if he needed it, but it doesn't make sense for it to just hang there. That sort of thing is there for us as players.

Ares Ex Machina

Post Mar 26th '13, 07:22

"Being naked in space stinks. Lucky for you, Mr. Security officer, you are dressed in active military uniform, complete with a Cyberhead™ helmet. Your Cyberhead device is your interface to your surrounding environment."

source: Marathon 1 manual, page 12

The manual then shows a labeled screenshot of the game.

Now, I agree the Marathon 1 HUD is an impractical design for use as a marine's literal heads-up display. But the above quote says to me that the narrator is describing all the interface features that follow on that page directly to "Mr. Security Officer." It's all presented as part of the game's fiction.

Crater Creator

Post Mar 26th '13, 09:12

Crater Creator wrote:But the above quote says to me that the narrator is describing all the interface features that follow on that page directly to "Mr. Security Officer."

Then who are these "other players over the network" that can be contacted using the microphone?

Ares Ex Machina

Post Mar 26th '13, 20:30

The Security Officer's bros and homies out there pickin' up some fly honies? The social networks of the future let him keep up with those players' romantic conquests via a wireless audio link.

Pfhorrest
California

Post Mar 26th '13, 20:43

I think it's honeys

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Mar 26th '13, 21:48

patrick
末法

Return to Marathon Discussion