Destiny references to Marathon and Myth

For topics about the story, help in a certain level, game discussion, or finding/discussing content.

Destiny references to Marathon and Myth

Post Jun 1st '13, 19:51

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3iUQawlMTk

Vid I made. 7, 6, 5, and 1 are relevant to Marathon. Let me know if you guys can think of any others.

Spurious Interrupt

Post Jun 2nd '13, 01:31

Pretty interesting! Especially the part about the Traveler and the Deceiver - I haven't actually played the Myth games, so I missed those parallels. Good work.

SylithSenjak

Post Jun 3rd '13, 05:17

There's definitely some strong connections like the delta eye pattern shared by the Pfhor and the Hive.

There's also some very weak connections like the one between Balor and the Fallen. The visual similarity is vague at best. I guess I could see it if the Fallen-alien had a rectangular sword or if Balor had four arms, but the connection is flimsy.

Same with the connection between warlocks and warlocks. They're both essentially magic users that are given a very common title associated with the use of magic. And shooting fireballs is a common fictional magic power.

STILL, despite that, I really like the Traveler-Deceiver theory you came up with via the tenuous warlock-warlock connection. It wouldn't surprise me at all if you turned out to be right and one of the twists in Destiny is that the Traveler once sided with the other alien empires and was part of humanity's downfall before changing sides to ally with humanity.

philtron

Post Jun 3rd '13, 06:10

philtron wrote:There's definitely some strong connections like the delta eye pattern shared by the Pfhor and the Hive.

There's also some very weak connections like the one between Balor and the Fallen. The visual similarity is vague at best. I guess I could see it if the Fallen-alien had a rectangular sword or if Balor had four arms, but the connection is flimsy.

Same with the connection between warlocks and warlocks. They're both essentially magic users that are given a very common title associated with the use of magic. And shooting fireballs is a common fictional magic power.

STILL, despite that, I really like the Traveler-Deceiver theory you came up with via the tenuous warlock-warlock connection. It wouldn't surprise me at all if you turned out to be right and one of the twists in Destiny is that the Traveler once sided with the other alien empires and was part of humanity's downfall before changing sides to ally with humanity.

I think the Warlock is actually one of the stronger ones. Besides what I mentioned in the video, you can see a lot of rather explicit visual similarities, including the cloak and the staff (in some of the concept art). Yeah it's standard fantasy stuff, but you can use the same argument for several other names as well (Mage, Wizard, Sorcerer etc.). I guess what I'm saying is I'd be really surprised if no one at Bungie thought of Myth when they chose that name.

As for Balor, yeah, I admit bringing him up was kind of weak. I felt the name (Fallen) was relatively strong, but I threw him in there just for the hell of it. The White armor and horns give some visual credence to the idea though. That said, we've already seen several iterations on "The Fallen" design, including units with only two arms, so I probably shouldn't be putting too much weight on visuals right now anyways. I guess I gave extra weight to anything relating to Myth since I heard that Destiny was originally going to have a similar setting.

Spurious Interrupt

Post Jun 6th '13, 13:57

I'm just gonna drop this here... :P

http://forums.bungie.org/story/?read=62978
http://marathon.bungie.org/story/mifinalscreen.html
"You are Destiny."

At the end of Infinity and the universe, Durandal? gives a monologue, partially on how he once thought to escape the end of the universe as a god, to the Security Officer ending with that line. Fast forward to now, with Bungie releasing a video game under that very title, and some mysterious Traveler acting as a protector to Earth. Coincidence?

My theory is that the ending screen shows the process of the SO being reborn out the end of the universe the way Durandal wanted. The ending screen seems to show a progression of parts assocated with him, from a small bit of something to a Pfhor staff to a worn-out human hand. It could be them being reformed in that way, or something. Maybe the SO afterwards... jumped ship into the Destiny universe? Restarted his own? The possibilities are *ba dum* Infinite.
What do you all think?

mchief111

Post Jun 27th '13, 23:24

Spurious Interrupt

Post Jun 28th '13, 13:57

Good work putting these together - I'm especially intrigued by the Citadel stuff, naturally.

SylithSenjak

Post Oct 9th '13, 22:36

My internet at the moment is too slow to watch videos but I'm really intrigued to see what these Marathon references could be. Can't wait til I go somewhere with better internet lol :p
Turretguy36

Post Oct 31st '13, 16:13

I seen another marathon reference when I first watched "Destiny community thank you" video.

I took a screen shot

http://i.imgur.com/oO22vfJ.jpg
URZU-7

Post Oct 31st '13, 16:42

I don't think I'll ever get through life without seeing a Marathon symbol in everthing, intentional or unintentional.

Speaking of Marathon symbols, I'm playing the latest Ace Attorney game (Dual Destinies). Whenever Detective Fulbright pulls out his badge, I see an upside down Marathon symbol. Seriously.
Youtube Channel:Crosstroop3r // Traxus Wiki User Page: Crosstrooper
My Marathon uploads: Destiny

Destiny
USA

Post Apr 16th '14, 22:31

I really want to like it, but Destiny feels so cheap and gimmicky to me... I just watched the gameplay reveal and it made things worse.

I know I'm out of topic, I'll shut up now.
Johnman

Return to Marathon Discussion