Where the Twist Flops...?

For topics about the story, help in a certain level, game discussion, or finding/discussing content.

Where the Twist Flops...?

Post Jun 9th '13, 10:57

For me, probably the biggest mystery in this game. As you may not know I speed run this game a lot, meaning I've beat the game countless times. Yet, there's only one level which I still do not know exactly how to beat. That is, Where the Twist Flops.

I've been looking up some information about this level and I can't find anything helpful at all.

Beginning with the level credits, which would be most useful. Yet, out of all of the level credits listed for Durandal (excluding netmaps) it's the only one which states:

23. Where the Twist Flops
Creator: NOBODY ADMITS TO THIS ONE

Which is very odd. So, I resort to looking up info on the Marathon Spoiler Guide. And usually has at least a heap of information regarding the level and some insights on how to beat it, only to come up with two sentences:

As with "God Will Sort the Dead", this level is again helpful for BOB shooting. Remember that exploding BOBs will NOT shoot at aliens, so this should help distinguish them.

The last place I could look were the Wiki's. Once again, no info.

Which only means I'm left with the level itself. What can I gather from it?

Well, unfortunately, we're stuck with a very confusing terminal message.

You must crush the slavers,
return to your [?people].

At first it may seem obvious. Okay, crush the slavers, kill all the pfhor, that's it. I'm afraid not. This is where it gets confusing for me. Multiple times running through this level during a speed run I've beat it A LOT of different ways. Killing all the pfhor (excluding s'pht), killing all BoBs (including s'pht), etc, etc. Now if we were to follow Thoth's orders we'd only be killing Pfhor. But, on countless occasions I found myself being stumped because I didn't kill the S'pht. Would S'pht be considered slavers...? Doesn't make sense. :huh:

How do you beat this level? I know the obvious answer is "Kill everything", but the end terminal message triggers before this, so EXACTLY what must you do??

NobilityV3

Post Jun 9th '13, 13:40

The map is an extermination mission, but in this you're actually allowed to have up to 7 actors still alive on the map, provided the map is not also flagged "rebellion." However, it doesn't distinguish enemy types, so you'll have to kill everything less seven, including Bobs and Compilers. It's just an engine quirk, probably designed so that you don't have to scour the map for that last damn Fighter wandering around.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Jun 9th '13, 18:15

That's odd, I've never had an issue with that one. I guess I just always let too many BOBs die anyway.

Spurious Interrupt

Post Jun 16th '13, 14:13

I had the same kind of question for My Own Private Thermopylae.
I've wandered a long time in the level, finally I feel like killing the BOBs triggered the end message. But that doesn't seem very logical... so what was the objective ?
Ne Cede Malis.
Somnus Gravis

Post Jun 19th '13, 05:35

Somnus Gravis wrote:I had the same kind of question for My Own Private Thermopylae.
I've wandered a long time in the level, finally I feel like killing the BOBs triggered the end message. But that doesn't seem very logical... so what was the objective ?

You're suppose to flip two switches that turn on some power generators of some sort. They're the big green pillars that light up once turned on.

NobilityV3

Post Jun 19th '13, 12:47

Stop camping.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Return to Marathon Discussion