Help with Eternal Chapter 1 *SPOILERS*

For topics about the story, help in a certain level, game discussion, or finding/discussing content.

Help with Eternal Chapter 1 *SPOILERS*

Post Jun 27th '13, 18:30

After I fought through Roots and Radicals, destroying the main Durandal but saving his primal pattern, I find myself on a dream level, The Tangent Universe. There's a terminal implying we should fix our relationship with Hathor, and suddenly I'm back on Sakhmet Rising. My question is, how do I break this loop? If I have to go through Roots and Radicals again to get back to The Tangent Universe so I can finally return to Sakhmet Rising for the third time, I'll do it. I really don't care how to do it or where it leads me. I need to escape levels 05-08, that's all.

PerseusSpartacus
Somewhere in the 19th Century...

Post Jun 27th '13, 19:03

Minimal guidance: the branch point is on Sakhmet Rising. Don't take the same exit from that level that you did before.

Pfhorrest
California

Post Jun 27th '13, 21:15

Pfhorrest wrote:Minimal guidance: the branch point is on Sakhmet Rising. Don't take the same exit from that level that you did before.

Okay, but the problem is the oxygen. If there's no oxygen recharger on that level, I'm going to have a fit trying to find an exit. I'll look around and see what I can do once I get past Mr. Goody Two Shoes giving us his Primal Pattern and then failing to succeed in his plan because we get sent back through some alternate world where the Jjaro are serving as our Fairy God-mothers/hyper-maternal helpers.

PerseusSpartacus

Post Jun 28th '13, 01:02

There should totally be an oxygen recharger on that level. Right in the central courtyard type of area in the middle of the map. I'm pretty sure there are others in the middle of the three other courtyards north, west, and east, too.

Pfhorrest
California

Post Jun 28th '13, 02:55

Pfhorrest wrote:There should totally be an oxygen recharger on that level. Right in the central courtyard type of area in the middle of the map. I'm pretty sure there are others in the middle of the three other courtyards north, west, and east, too.

Yeah, I found numerous O2 chargers and made it to the Tycho exit. Onwards to yet more glorious subservience! ;)

Anyways, thanks for the help, man. Also, I really like Eternal thus far. It emulates the gameplay style of the original Marathon in a way I haven't really seen anywhere else. Furthermore, the whole time-travel thing fits perfectly with everything we've seen in the Marathon trilogy. Even Durandal's "Create and escape" comment can be explained as "Continually jump back in time over and over to avoid ever reaching the collapse of the universe, thereby creating a bazillion timelines." This would certainly explain why creation would make him God.

The only comment I can think of that's hard to explain exactly is Tycho's mention of how the cost might number in the "tens of thousands of stars", though in truth there's numerous explanations. For instance, if the wrong person (aka Hathor) got ahold of the technology, the destruction would indeed number in the tens of thousands of stars. In the end, though, everything makes perfect sense.

Kudos to you, mate. :D

PerseusSpartacus

Post Jun 28th '13, 06:33

Pfhorrest
California

Post Jul 13th '13, 22:10

Okay, now I'm stuck back on Unpfhorseen. What in the name of Thoth?! Things were going just fine, it felt like, but our
[?Jjaro?fairy] godmothers had to step in and force me to go over Unpfhorseen again. Anybody have any hints of what to do now?

PerseusSpartacus

Post Jul 13th '13, 23:21

Stop playing. It's what I did. Those fisheye effects are murder.

SylithSenjak

Post Jul 14th '13, 00:31

SylithSenjak wrote:Stop playing. It's what I did. Those fisheye effects are murder.

Luckily we really only have to deal with them on the 'start back over' levels (which now give me an 'oh dear god' sensation whenever I enter them). But seriously, do we really need that many of them? It's irritating to have to identify how to escape the inordinate number of loops in the game.

PerseusSpartacus

Post Jul 16th '13, 03:29

There's only one per chapter, and each chapter is about half as long as one of the original games, so that's like two per game, over the course of the equivalent of two games.

Anyway, the exit terminal for The Living Receiver tells you what to do. They always do. Just gotta read 'em:

strive to seek and stay with her

serve her and she shall serve you

I made the mistake of leaving her behind once.

I would assume not make it again.

She deserves better.

Pfhorrest
California

Post Jul 16th '13, 04:34

Pfhorrest wrote:Anyway, the exit terminal for The Living Receiver tells you what to do. They always do. Just gotta read 'em.

Yeah, I managed to get past it, but knowing that the terminals tell you what you need to do will help me a huge amount now. Normally I just tap the space bar until the terminal ends and I leave the level and then just look for some other way to get past, but knowing that reading more closely can give me a framework for who I'm trying to follow the orders of will help me infinitely with getting through. Thanks for the help, mate! ;)

PerseusSpartacus

Post Jul 16th '13, 05:13

Err, quick question: is there any way to kill those Banshees? There's a bazillion on the current dream level, but I can't figure out how to kill them, which I have to do if I am to have any chance of survival.

PerseusSpartacus

Post Jul 16th '13, 09:01

There is a way to kill them, later, but you don't have it yet. If you keep moving and don't stay within attack range of them for more than a second (you should be able to run straight through them quicker than they can usually complete an attack) you should be able to avoid their attacks more or less indefinitely. That level is meant to keep you constantly running in terror, and hopefully by now you know more or less where you need to run to, so you shouldn't be running in circles much, you can just run straight from A to B to C and get out of there.

They won't follow you to the last terminal, by the way, so you can stop and take your time to read it :)

Pfhorrest
California

Return to Marathon Discussion