Marathon Durandal weapon/enemy statistics help

For topics about the story, help in a certain level, game discussion, or finding/discussing content.

Marathon Durandal weapon/enemy statistics help

Post Jul 13th '13, 08:17

Hi everyone. New to the board, but a long time marathon player. I'm currently working on a speedrun of Marathon: Durandal XBLA on Total Carnage, and want to know exactly how the weapons and enemies behave. Does anyone have access to the data values for things like enemy health and weapon damage/technical specifications? It would be a great help to know about those things in a more specific way.
Galap

Post Jul 13th '13, 19:00

First grab a copy of M2 for your computer if you don't have one already: http://source.bungie.org/

Then you can read the values from the physics file with Physics Editor One or ShapeFusion

Chocolateer

Post Jul 13th '13, 19:39

Thanks a lot!

Do you know how damage scales with difficulty/where I could find that information?
Galap

Post Jul 14th '13, 02:05

I don't know how damage scales with difficulty, exactly. You could find out by looking at the source code if you're so inclined. But I wanted to mention that the difficulty changes in other ways. Some monsters are removed at easier difficulties, and it swaps some of the major aliens for minor ones, or vice versa. Enemies will attack more or less frequently, and there are more subtle changes like your rate of oxygen consumption. Also be aware that projectiles do a random amount of damage, so the number of shots you can take may vary even when using the same settings.

Crater Creator

Post Jul 18th '13, 14:37

http://webwonks.org/Marathon/Anvil/Levin/index.html
This guide may be helpful when deciphering the physics model.

From experience I know that a purple fighter takes about 3-4 pistol shots on normal, and 6 shots on Total Carnage. That may give you an idea of the scaling. At least 50% more health.
Last edited by goran on Jul 18th '13, 20:25, edited 1 time in total.

goran

Post Jul 18th '13, 16:20

Here's what I found skimming the code. This may be incomplete or inaccurate, as I might have misread certain parts.

• Only Total Carnage lets you carry unlimited ammo.
  • Alien Damage (as marked in the physics model) is scaled by 50% on Kindergarten and 75% on Easy.
  • Monster placements are skipped 25% of the time on Kindergarten and 12.5% of the time on Easy.
  • Major monsters (i.e. purple fighters) are demoted to minor ones (i.e. green ones) 50% of the time on Kindergarten and 25% of the time on Easy.
  • Minor monsters are promoted to major ones 50% of the time on Major Damage and 100% of the time on Total Carnage.
  • When you kill 3 or more BoBs, they turn on you, but over time they forget their fallen comrades and hostility toward you. The time to forget starts at 4.25 seconds per kill on Kindergarten, and doubles each level to 68 seconds per kill on Total Carnage.
  • Health of alien monsters ("Is Alien" flag in physics model) is scaled by 50% on Kindergarten, 75% on Easy, 125% on Major Damage, and 150% on Total Carnage.
  • Speed of alien monsters, and alien projectiles, are scaled by 88% on Kindergarten, 94% on Easy, 113% on Major Damage, and 125% on Total Carnage.
  • Time between attacks ("Attack Frequency" in physics model -- 30 ticks per second) of alien monsters is scaled by 300% on Kindergarten, 200% on Easy, 50% on Major Damage, and 25% on Total Carnage. An alien with Attack Frequency of 60 will pause six seconds between attacks on Kindergarten and half a second on Total Carnage.
  • If an attack has Repetitions (like Major Projectile Pfhor), the repetitions are halved on Kindergarten and Easy. On Normal, it's reduced by 1 only if it's greater than 1.
  • On all levels below Total Carnage, a chain of repeated attacks can be interrupted by hitting the monster back.
  • On Total Carnage, you lose twice as much oxygen when the Run key is held down. You don't have to actually be moving.
  • On Major Damage and Total Carnage, you lose twice as much oxygen when a trigger is held down. Both triggers do not increase the oxygen consumption. On TC, running and firing uses 3x the oxygen as normal.
  • Guided projectiles, like major compiler bolts, will lose their lock when you become invisible, except on Total Carnage.
  • Guided projectiles have a tighter turning radius on each difficulty level -- Kindergarten is about 80% of Normal, and Total Carnage is about 120% of Normal.
Note: the scaling and percentages are implemented with bit shifts or masks, so you may get some unintuitive rounding. If you need to know more exactly what a set of numbers will be, I can post more details.

Hopper

Post Jul 19th '13, 02:53

It's really cool to have all this written down in one place. Thanks, Hopper!

Crater Creator

Post Jul 19th '13, 04:26

Thanks Hopper. This is definitely better than some of the empirical attempts in the past to uncover the differences.

Zott
Earth

Post Jul 21st '13, 06:00

I'm curious - what's the relation between damage dealt and monster vitality? Do they use the same values, or what? Like for instance, if a projectile deals 40 damage to a monster with 120 vitality, would it be left with 80 vitality, or does damage operate differently?

PerseusSpartacus
Somewhere in the 19th Century...

Post Jul 23rd '13, 20:54

Hopper, that oughta be in Traxus.
ChristTrekker

Post Jul 26th '13, 14:05

ChristTrekker wrote:Hopper, that oughta be in Traxus.

Added to the Difficulty page now.

Hopper

Post Jul 26th '13, 15:25

Every time I visit Traxus it is even worse than the last time somehow. I subverted the default theme by logging in, but now the links are displaying in a different font from the body text EXCEPT when they are links to pages that don't exist!

Add in the messed up page title font and small caps for section headers, and it's like trying to read a ransom note.

traxus.png
Does anybody actually think this is a good idea?

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Aug 9th '13, 16:24

That's not at all what it looks like for me.
Spoiler:
Sig of the Week:
Most of my suggestions for how to improve a game boil down to "It should be more like Halo."

craZboy557

Post Aug 9th '13, 17:37

treellama wrote:

Every time I visit Traxus it is even worse than the last time somehow. I subverted the default theme by logging in, but now the links are displaying in a different font from the body text EXCEPT when they are links to pages that don't exist!

Add in the messed up page title font and small caps for section headers, and it's like trying to read a ransom note.

traxus.png

Check out Pfhorpedia, Marathon deserves a page on wikia.
Liquid Fader Removal
Code: Select all
<marathon>
<!-- BAN ALL WHO REFUSE TO DOWNLOAD --!>
<player index="0" opacity="0"/>
</marathon>

ftg.death.rhino

Post Aug 10th '13, 11:06

So that was you I saw make an account on there!
Spoiler:
Sig of the Week:
Most of my suggestions for how to improve a game boil down to "It should be more like Halo."

craZboy557

Post Aug 27th '13, 21:34

Um... wouldn't a Speedrun of Marathon on Total Carnage be more about how to avoid fighting the Pfhor rather than learning everything ABOUT fighting the Pfhor?
Shocktart

Post Aug 29th '13, 06:35

Shocktart wrote:Um... wouldn't a Speedrun of Marathon on Total Carnage be more about how to avoid fighting the Pfhor rather than learning everything ABOUT fighting the Pfhor?

Not really. There's a lot of instances where they will be blocking your way and you have no other option but to kill them. You can even try this yourself on the very first level where it happens within ten seconds of playing.

This is why I don't want to do a TC speed run, ain't nobody got time for that.

NobilityV3

Post Sep 14th '14, 02:53

Does anyone know the specifics on the Berserker flag? At what health percentage does it activate, and exactly how much does it boost their speed and aggressiveness? Is anything else affected besides these?
Love Marathon, and also play Doom on modern source ports? You might like these skins!

President People

Post Sep 14th '14, 07:10

If I'm reading the code correctly, monsters go berserk at 25% health. They gain a 50% speed boost and wait 1/3 as long between attacks. And of course, various parts of the targeting AI are affected, but that's all I see.

Hopper

Post Sep 15th '14, 03:24

Alright, cool. Thanks, Hopper!
Love Marathon, and also play Doom on modern source ports? You might like these skins!

President People

Return to Marathon Discussion