The Rose: mystery around Bobs and the "impossible" mission

For topics about the story, help in a certain level, game discussion, or finding/discussing content.

Re: The Rose: mystery around Bobs and the "impossible" missi

Post Oct 21st '13, 12:52

Hugo_Pt wrote:Did I do something wrong?

I don't think so? It plays back for me.

Make sure GJ.scen is in your Marathon folder. You don't have to choose it in Environment preferences, the engine should find it automatically.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Oct 21st '13, 16:45

Destiny wrote:The napalm canisters are probably just out of reach of the player.

I tested this secret a few months ago in the original Marathon, and those Couch Fishing canisters are indeed impossible to pick up.

Hugo_Pt wrote:I suppose that the "full-screen HUD" (XBLA-style HUD) you're referring to is the default HUD (without any plugins) in both the beta and the latest stable release, and that the classic HUD is that which can be selected from the directory Plugins\Default HUD\ of the Beta package ... What about the folder Plugins\Enhanced HUD of the Beta Package?

The "Default HUD" is the classic HUD from the original Marathon, and "Enhanced HUD" is the XBLA-style one. For Marathon 1, you have to run with a HUD plugin: if you disable both of those, you get some visual glitches and no useful information.

To enable or disable plugins, click the "Plugins" button and then click on an entry in the list to toggle them. Ignore that separate "HUD Script" area -- that's a leftover from the pre-plugin days, and as you found, it won't work with scripts packaged into plugins.

Hopper

Post Oct 21st '13, 16:48

Hopper wrote:The "Default HUD" is the classic HUD from the original Marathon, and "Enhanced HUD" is the XBLA-style one.

I think he wants the M1A1 HUD, which isn't available in the betas. I never considered that anyone would miss it!

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Oct 21st '13, 17:28

treellama wrote:I think he wants the M1A1 HUD, which isn't available in the betas. I never considered that anyone would miss it!

Well, I guess some people just get so used to it they can't do without it.

PerseusSpartacus
Somewhere in the 19th Century...

Post Oct 21st '13, 20:17

treellama wrote:
Hugo_Pt wrote:Did I do something wrong?

I don't think so? It plays back for me.

Make sure GJ.scen is in your Marathon folder. You don't have to choose it in Environment preferences, the engine should find it automatically.

You mean GJ Map.scen, not GJ.scen, right? Yes, it is in my Marathon folder, along with Map.scen and all the other files extracted from the Marathon-20130813-Win.zip archive. It doesn't matter whether I have GJ Map.scen selected in Environment Settings, or rather the default Map.scen. When in main menu, I click REPLAY SAVED FILM, and select your file GJ.filA, I always get the same error. Maybe GJ Map.scen and/or GJ.filA are not compatible with the Windows version? Just to be sure: I noticed that in Environment Settings there's an option for Film playback in which you can select either Aleph One, Marathon 2, or Marathon Infinity. Should I keep 'Aleph One' selected there before trying to play the film GJ.filA?

Hopper wrote:The "Default HUD" is the classic HUD from the original Marathon, and "Enhanced HUD" is the XBLA-style one. For Marathon 1, you have to run with a HUD plugin: if you disable both of those, you get some visual glitches and no useful information.

To enable or disable plugins, click the "Plugins" button and then click on an entry in the list to toggle them. Ignore that separate "HUD Script" area -- that's a leftover from the pre-plugin days, and as you found, it won't work with scripts packaged into plugins.

Ah, ok, I never had clicked in the word 'PLUGINS' before! Only experimented in the 'HUD Script' area, enabling the 'Use HUD Script' checkbox and selecting different files from the Plugins subfolder of the Marathon directory. And one of them actually worked! Selecting the file Default_HUD_M1.lua from the Marathon\Plugins\Default HUD subfolder allows to play with the classic HUD with no visual glitches. I suppose it is the classic HUD, although I never played the original Marathon. It's that big HUD in 'L' shape which reduces game screen to a small window embedded in the 'L'.

treellama wrote:I think he wants the M1A1 HUD, which isn't available in the betas. I never considered that anyone would miss it!

I don't know if the HUD I wanted to try is the M1A1 HUD or not, as I never played it. I only played latest Aleph One stable version of Marathon and now am playing the latest beta, and in both, the HUD shown by default (without changing the default settings) is that which now I understand is called the "Enhanced HUD". I never played with another HUD. The HUD shown in this Youtube video has the advantage of showing all the ammo clips you have in your possession, including those for weapons you haven't picked up yet in the game. The part of the HUD showing that info is identical to that of the "classic HUD", but unlike it, it doesn't reduce game screen to a small window. Besides that, the HUD in the video doesn't overlap part of the game screen, unlike the "Enhanced HUD", although that overlapping is a minor inconvenience.
Hugo_Pt

Post Oct 22nd '13, 02:57

Yep, that is the M1A1 HUD. As PerseusSpartacus said, it will show up on Simplici7y before long.

Hopper

Post Oct 24th '13, 15:00

I did a new surprising finding related to wall climbing with grenades! But I think it's probably better to share it by writing a new topic regarding this issue, so that it could more easily be found by anyone who searches this subject in the forums. I diverged too much already from the original subject of the current topic (which cannot be edited), by addressing different unrelated subjects here.

Edit: The new topic is in this link.
Hugo_Pt

Previous

Return to Marathon Discussion