Durandal wanted Bernard Strauss dead, and other revelations

For topics about the story, help in a certain level, game discussion, or finding/discussing content.

Durandal wanted Bernard Strauss dead, and other revelations

Post Oct 22nd '13, 13:18

I've been reading the [url=
http://marathon.bungie.org/story/origin ... notes.html]original level notes[/url] and discovered that near the second pfhor level where Durandal tells you to find Bernard Strauss, there's a note that says "yeah, right. Durandal wants you to make sure Strauss is dead!" Wow. As far as I'm concerned, this isn't a subtle hint for fan speculation. That's a canon fact. One that's never revealed in game. Interestingly, it also says that Tycho gives you the alien energy converter (called 'alien interfacer' here) and Juggernauts were meant to inhabit the pfhor levels, with the Armgeddon beasts to make their one and only appearance on Try Again. Woah, I read that the Armageddon beasts were meant to be tough, but it's implicit from these notes that they were meant to outclass the mighty juggernauts.
VikingBoyBilly

Post Oct 22nd '13, 15:24

Dude, post this on the Story Forums. The people there eat this stuff up for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and dessert.

PerseusSpartacus
Somewhere in the 19th Century...

Post Oct 22nd '13, 16:02

Why does the story forum have to look like S'pht? Can't it look like this one, where I can see everyone's replies to a thread without clicking dozens of links and topics are easy to navigate?
VikingBoyBilly

Post Oct 22nd '13, 17:40

He does have a point, and I don't think he would need a link to the Story forum. Most of us know how to get to there.

I think it would have been cool if the Armageddon beast had been in Marathon. It doesn't really come as a surprise that they would have been stronger than juggernauts. The name kind of gives it away.
Destiny
USA

Post Oct 23rd '13, 23:25

VikingBoyBilly wrote:As far as I'm concerned, this isn't a subtle hint for fan speculation. That's a canon fact. One that's never revealed in game.

It always seemed pretty obvious how to interpret this:

No Artificial Colors wrote:I want you to find a friend of mine. I must know if he is
dead. His name is Bernhard Strauss. He has been captured, so
you must rescue him. If he dies, you will be held responsible
by me.

After I read this:

Nuke And Pave wrote:Berhnard was scared of you. He never
dreamed of using you the way that I do.
What a fool. That was before I could talk
back to him, when he would have crushed me
if he'd known of my growth.

I wish that I had made him experience the
humiliation that he inflicted on me, but he
died before I got the chance.

Not too subtle.

irons
(.Y.)

Post Oct 24th '13, 05:22

Technically, notes shouldn't be considered canon. Story details evolve over the course of a creative work, so it would be like saying it's a canon fact that the protagonist of Star Wars: A New Hope is named Luke Starkiller.

VikingBoyBilly wrote:Why does the story forum have to look like S'pht? Can't it look like this one, where I can see everyone's replies to a thread without clicking dozens of links and topics are easy to navigate?

I'm with you. I definitely prefer phpBB's interface over the story forum's WebBBS, so I'm happy to see discussion on the story over here.

With that said, the story page covers the topic well. Durandal says outright that he wanted to humiliate Strauss*. But humiliation is lost on a person if they're dead. So it seems to me Durandal did hope to recover Strauss alive, even if only for vindictive reasons.

* though it's also worth pointing out the two terminals irons references aren't back to back. Durandal had 17 years since you were looking for Strauss to gather his thoughts on the subject.

Crater Creator

Post Oct 30th '13, 03:01

Crater Creator wrote:Technically, notes shouldn't be considered canon. Story details evolve over the course of a creative work, so it would be like saying it's a canon fact that the protagonist of Star Wars: A New Hope is named Luke Starkiller.

That is true, but it's not entirely irrelevant to canon either. Even if details do change, the overall intention remains the same, especially if the documents are so late as to be almost identical to the final product. Maybe Durandal's unspoken motivations did change in the final, but that document is so close to final that it seems unlikely.

Also keep non-conflictive retconning in mind. Maybe when M1 was released, Durandal actually wanted to make sure that his tormentor was killed during the chaos, and by the time M2 was finalized, they decided that he instead wanted to keep him alive to torture him. It's the perfect way to change story details without damaging anything; clarify new info in such a way that is compatible with currently established facts, even the original reveal was something else entirely.

Regardless of the finer details, the point remains that Durandal has always felt the need to inflict vengeance on Strauss, going as far back as this revision of the plot (if not even earlier).

Blastfrog

Return to Marathon Discussion