Durandal '95 "What About Bob" help

For topics about the story, help in a certain level, game discussion, or finding/discussing content.

Durandal '95 "What About Bob" help

Post Jun 18th '14, 21:34

I've been messing around with the Windows '95 version of Durandal after playing the XBLA version, but I've been getting stuck. I'd play through What About Bob as I normally would in the XBLA version (get ammo, run through to the safe room switch, grenade the circuits, run up the spiral staircase, warp in all the bobs, read terminal. Yay!) but it seems the "win condition" triggers are different in this version. I've tried variations and combinations of helping bobs kill everything, which way up (spiral stairs vs the lava dive secret), shooting in each room to make sure no enemies are sleeping, filling most of the map as I can, and checking both terminals afterward, but in the past week of on-and-off testing I've been able to finish the level only twice. I guess the reason I'm posting this is to ask if anyone knows/could help with figuring out what exactly causes the level to be considered "complete" in this version?
2Tie

Post Jun 18th '14, 21:42

One thing I discovered about What About Bob (playing in Aleph One under OS X) is that if you try to be clever, it can backfire. I rushed past all the aliens in the lower levels, hit the lava switch, and ran up the stairs leaving them to burn to death. But some aliens went inactive as I ran away, such that they never took damage from the lava. Enough aliens were in this state that the extermination mission parameter was never fulfilled, and I couldn't go back down to kill them without dying in the lava. Hence I was stuck.

Crater Creator

Post Jun 18th '14, 22:07

Yeah, at one point I dipped into the lava near the start to notice some enemies just standing around, so after some research I found someone said: "Eventually I figured out that enemies in their initial 'sleeping' state are invulnerable to lava, and I was going so fast through the bottom portion that not all of the enemies down there had woken up. This may again be a PC port issue, but make sure to wake up all the enemies anyhow." So that's what led me to fire in each room to get them woken up. But if they can go inactive again, and the trigger is an extermination one, then I suppose I can try a couple more runs, killing them all myself and see what I end up with. Thanks!
(also that could explain why the 360 version was different/easier, it prolly has enough power to not have to worry about de-activating enemies)

LATER: Yeah, it seems that killing all enemies in the basement except for the ones in the stairway and the ones in the save room (and possibly the one on the secret passageway ledge) is a guaranteed level pass. There's a certain green fighter that tends to have a hard time noticing me, even after i've killed all his buddies:
But in any case, this mission certainly isn't an extermination one. All the pfhor on the surface don't even need to be killed, just the warping in of all the Bobs. huh.
2Tie

Post Nov 2nd '14, 05:01

I've played through this level hundreds of times and this finally happened to me a couple of weeks ago. The first instance I experienced a "soft-lock" in Marathon.

NobilityV3

Post Nov 2nd '14, 09:25

Play more third party maps, and I'm sure you can find more. ;)

Crater Creator

Post Nov 4th '14, 03:11

I remember that I didn't have a good save the first time this happened to me, so I downloaded a cheat plugin, went invulnerable, and killed everything under the lava.

Spurious Interrupt

Return to Marathon Discussion