Pfhorpedia

For topics about the story, help in a certain level, game discussion, or finding/discussing content.

Pfhorpedia

Post Nov 15th '14, 19:17

If any of you frequently visit the Marathon wiki , http://marathongame.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page, Pfhorpedia, you'll notice that I (FunEditing is my username) have made some additions to the wiki. I'm planning to add or edit at least one article every evening. If you have a suggestion for how to organise the wiki better or how to improve it, then please tell me. Or join the wiki yourself. More experienced players would know more about Marathon then me, obviously.
It was practically abandoned before I made some additions to it.

I plan on adding monster statistics and images, I've done so for the Hunter and MOAH already, tell me if you like it. And then I'll make more articles concerning levels and eventually scenario's.

Any help is appreciated.

Qtekly
Belgium

Post Nov 15th '14, 20:23

Pfhorpedia should be abandoned because it does nothing but distract contributors from the true Marathon wiki, Traxus, which desperately needs them.

Pfhorrest
California

Post Nov 15th '14, 20:52

But how are people that don't know Marathon ever going to stumble upon Traxus? It's easier for people to find Pfhorpedia then Traxus. Beacause if they would search a wiki for Marathon they would search it on Wikia.com.
Just saying. We should make both of these wiki's as complete as possible.

Qtekly
Belgium

Post Nov 15th '14, 22:21

Perhaps Pfhorpedia can focus more on story elements and Traxus can do more coverage on mods and total conversions, on top of a more general, yet still detailed, coverage on the story of the individual Marathon games? Also, Pfhorpedia should link to the Marathon Story section of marathon.bungie.org for citations on terminal text and story elements.

Also, Phorpedia should have a single page for mods, and a single page for total conversions/scenarios. Each page should point out that this stuff exists, and link to modding resources and to Traxus, stating that more information on mods and scenarios can be found on Traxus and link to Simplici7y and other archives for people looking for mods.

FlawedIntellect

Post Nov 15th '14, 23:14

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Attachments
Good Idea, FI..png
Good Idea!
XXXXTYCHOXXXX

$lave wrote:Damnit bridgit, you are forgetting how fucking serious business the internet is.

Tycho X
Aenna Prime

Post Nov 16th '14, 02:17

Pfhorpedia should have just one page, which links to Traxus. Search problem solved.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Nov 16th '14, 02:50

treellama wrote:Pfhorpedia should have just one page, which links to Traxus. Search problem solved.

Wrkncacnter

Post Nov 16th '14, 04:16

Wrkncacnter wrote:
treellama wrote:Traxus should have just one page, which links to Traxus. Mararthon problem solved.
patrick
末法

Post Nov 17th '14, 15:58

patrick wrote:
Wrkncacnter wrote:
treellama wrote:Traxus should have just one page, which links to Traxus. Mararthon problem solved.
ChristTrekker

Post Nov 17th '14, 16:22

It almost sounds like you guys don't even want Marathon to become more popular.

Qtekly
Belgium

Post Nov 17th '14, 17:04

Qtekly wrote:It almost sounds like you guys don't even want [ads] to become more popular [when there's already an older better ad-free version].

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Nov 17th '14, 17:13

treellama wrote:
Qtekly wrote:It almost sounds like you guys don't even want [ads] to become more popular [when there's already an older better ad-free version].

So the problem with Pfhorpedia, is the ads? because that has nothing to do with it in my opinion.

Qtekly
Belgium

Post Nov 17th '14, 17:28

Oh good, this conversation again.

Wrkncacnter

Post Nov 17th '14, 18:38

As usual, Wrkncacnter's right:

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=5900

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Nov 17th '14, 19:33

I'm also just going to leave this here, just in case.

Wrkncacnter

Post Nov 17th '14, 21:49

I can't remember, was this before $lave was cool?

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Nov 18th '14, 02:42

I erased $lave's Cool Period from history after he banned patrick.

irons
(.Y.)

Post Nov 22nd '14, 07:17

On the other hand, I was looking at Traxus and it has some issues of its own. For example, this page is ridiculously out of date: http://traxus.bungie.org/index.php/User:BenUrban.

Wrkncacnter

Post Nov 24th '14, 12:40

Well to be fair, Battle for Westnoth is still an addictive game. [MWuh]

herecomethej2000
Ledyard, CT

Post Nov 24th '14, 19:28

Wrkncacnter wrote:On the other hand, I was looking at Traxus and it has some issues of its own. For example, this page is ridiculously out of date: http://traxus.bungie.org/index.php/User:BenUrban.

It's a (non-encyclopedic) user page. If the user doesn't update it himself, nobody else is going to do it for him—nor should they. If the page had been http://traxus.bungie.org/index.php/alephone_IRC_channel, OTOH, I'd hope Traxusians would keep it more up-to-date.

And yes, BfW can be very addictive.
ChristTrekker

Post Nov 25th '14, 05:25

Pfhorrest wrote:Pfhorpedia should be abandoned because it does nothing but distract contributors from the true Marathon wiki, Traxus, which desperately needs them.

Still zero edits in the past 30 days even after making this thread (apart from me and Trekker of course.)

NobilityV3

Post Nov 25th '14, 21:39

NobilityV3 wrote:Still zero edits in the past 30 days even after making this thread (apart from me and Trekker of course.)

Yeah, there's been so much new and exciting going on in the Marathon world in the past 30 days⸮ Why isn't everyone keeping the wiki updated?
ChristTrekker

Post Nov 26th '14, 02:18

ChristTrekker wrote:
NobilityV3 wrote:Still zero edits in the past 30 days even after making this thread (apart from me and Trekker of course.)

Yeah, there's been so much new and exciting going on in the Marathon world in the past 30 days⸮ Why isn't everyone keeping the wiki updated?

What the fuck is this?

With that attitude the Wiki will never get updated since Marathon hasn't been relevant in 10 years. Oh well, might as well let it die. No point of editing or contributing any information to the stubs or missing pages. That four sentence summary for one of the main antagonists in the entire series is really going places.

NobilityV3

Post Nov 26th '14, 06:04

NobilityV3 wrote:might as well die
patrick
末法

Post Nov 26th '14, 16:00

NobilityV3 wrote:What the fuck is this?

With that attitude the Wiki will never get updated since Marathon hasn't been relevant in 10 years. Oh well, might as well let it die. No point of editing or contributing any information to the stubs or missing pages. That four sentence summary for one of the main antagonists in the entire series is really going places.

I love Traxus and the Marathon community. But the previous comment (with the 30 day focus) was disingenuous, and I was trying to highlight that. C'mon, we all know we're a small community, and as our game ages we're doing very well if we can maintain our numbers. (Fan communities of many games this age have dwindled to nothing.) Kudos to Treellama and Hopper and the few artists and developers still actively doing Marathon-related stuff. But seriously, if you're going to point at the last 30 days of wiki activity, look at the last 30 days of Marathon activity in general. What's happened? List the developments, go ahead. *crickets chirp* This is why I don't fault people for not investing huge amounts of time in the wiki, despite my own interest in it. I know the audience reading this post knows a lot about Marathon that isn't recorded anywhere in the wiki, and could really expand its size and coverage tremendously if they just took one hour and jotted a few thoughts. (Poke poke, hint hint!) It's frustrating to me that people don't—but I've come to accept it, because I understand people have different focuses in their individual lives. Whenever an interesting tidbit is posted here, I still follow up with, "Hey, that should be in the wiki." But I know with 99% certainty it won't be added.

So if my previous comment came across as rude or snide or condescending or whatever, that wasn't the intent. I've just realized that most people aren't as excited about their "old information" as some of us are. People seem to be more likely to be excited about new information. I'd love Traxus to be an exhaustively encyclopedic resource of Marathon trivia. If Traxus had been around during the heyday of scenario development, things probably would have been different.

So, far from saying we should all just throw in the towel because it's too slow, as you've inferred from my post, I'm saying we should take the long view. Thirty days is too short a period to look at. Some day, Joe Marathoner will get an inspiration to write down a few things, and we'll see a few dozen wiki additions in a week, and then nothing more for months. Or he'll finally turn those new monster design ideas into a sketch and then into sprites, before the project languishes for half a year again. I've learned to be okay with that.
ChristTrekker

Next

Return to Marathon Discussion