Durandal '95 crashing

For topics about the story, help in a certain level, game discussion, or finding/discussing content.

Durandal '95 crashing

Post Dec 2nd '14, 08:56

This is a problem I've been having with PC Marathon 2, whenever I reach Ex Cathedra (after the Garrison chapter art) there's what seems to be a 60% chance that this error comes up and the game crashes:

I usually run it in compatibility mode for Win98, though I've found Win95 compat mode does this too. (The laptop I'm running this on is Win 8.0)

Is there a way to stop this error from ocurring?
2Tie

Post Dec 2nd '14, 09:24

Unless you insist on playing "the original", the solution is simple:

http://source.bungie.org/

ukimalefu

Post Dec 2nd '14, 09:46

Well yes, I do insist on playing it over Aleph One. :P (I have the XBLA version as well, but if I'm on my 360 I'd rather play other games)
2Tie

Post Dec 4th '14, 13:51

ok, Why? The whole point of alephone is this exact reason. Running the game on systems that otherwise would be unable to run the game.
Last edited by herecomethej2000 on Dec 4th '14, 13:55, edited 1 time in total.

herecomethej2000
Ledyard, CT

Post Dec 4th '14, 13:53

Can you try running it in Windows 95 in an emulator? VirtualBox, Qemu, etc. I'm surprised it works at all in Windows 8!

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Dec 4th '14, 18:00

I'd rather play this version over AlephOne or XBLA as they give me headaches whereas this version doesn't, and I *think* this version is faster to play. No loading screens, many levels were tweaked, as a matter of fact I don't think anyone has documented all the changes yet... hmm...

The error has a chance to happen when going straight to the level from level select as well. In the occasions where it doesn't pop up, none of the other level-starts up to 7K Feet Under (as far as I've really tested so far) ever error like this. Currently installing Win95 C in VirtualBox.
2Tie

Post Dec 4th '14, 18:04

As it happens, Aleph One understands the Marathon 2 for Windows 95 data files, too. Might still get a headache though.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Dec 4th '14, 23:30

By "gives headaches" are you referring to frustration with the setup process or something visual? If visual, the XBLA version runs at 60fps, while all other known Marathon games run at 30fps. Perhaps you're sensitive to high framerates and the Win95 version is performing poorly, around 15-20fps?

If the headache is setup related, I can't say A1 is structured very differently to the Win95 engine in my experience, you load mods and stuff the same way (arguably easier than before with plugin packages). Only major difference is that A1 seems to not be as portable, choosing to use the "appdata" section of Windows to store its config files.

I seem to get pretty fast load times when playing with the software renderer. Though the 8-bit color mode has unfortunately been removed, if the low color depth look was important to you.

Blastfrog

Post Dec 5th '14, 00:20

Could you upload the .exe for the copy of M2 you're using? I'm just curious about the cause of the crash.
(●__●)(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)(●__●)

Asylum
Post Dec 5th '14, 02:39

Asylum wrote:Could you upload the .exe for the copy of M2 you're using? I'm just curious about the cause of the crash.

http://trilogyrelease.bungie.org/

herecomethej2000
Ledyard, CT

Post Dec 5th '14, 03:17

Blastfrog: Headaches as in something visual, yes.

Asylum: https://www.dropbox.com/s/quucw7xs0vha4c1/M2.EXE?dl=0 is the EXE i'm using, though it shouldn't be any different.

Oh btw, the game freezes on a W98 Virtual Machine as well... looks like a game bug rather than a windows compatibility bug, then
2Tie

Post Dec 5th '14, 03:46

It is not failing in the normal Marathon game code from what I can see. This code is specific to the Windows version I think. Are you sure that the version you're using is okay? Maybe try re-downloading from another source just to eliminate the possibility of corrupted files?
(●__●)(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)(●__●)

Asylum

Return to Marathon Discussion