What If Marathon Had Been A Windows Game?

For topics about the story, help in a certain level, game discussion, or finding/discussing content.

What If Marathon Had Been A Windows Game?

Post Dec 17th '14, 23:48

Whelp, the title pretty much says it all.

We all know the history. Marathon made a splash in the Mac community. It offered free mouse look and dual wielding, even introducing dual purpose weapons. While it wasn't the first, it was among the first for all of these, and on the less popular OS at the time.

It's even managed to retain a dedicated fan base to today. But, do you guys have any theories on what Marathon would've turned into if it had been released on Window's from the very start?

Also, it's been a while since I've posted here. Guess this it sorta my intro back in.
-Listner
listener

Post Dec 18th '14, 01:04

Minotaur.

irons
(.Y.)

Post Dec 18th '14, 02:19

A curiosity. In the brutally competitive DOS gaming environment (in 1994, Windows was something you quit before playing games), Marathon never finds its audience compared to the more viscerally satisfying DOOM. There's still a fan site online with some level maps, and a few years ago somebody tried to get it into AGDQ, but its biggest impact is incidental. Bungie made it into the Guinness book for the number of death threats they received from furious Mac gamers, who were salivating for a Pathways Into Darkness sequel.

Jason and Alex manage to avoid bankruptcy, but soured by the failure, they disband Bungie and go their separate ways. Alex takes a job as a financial planner but his heart and spare time remain devoted to games. His runaway Facebook successes, MythVille and Zombie Crush, are sold to AOL Time Warner for $30 million. Jason works for hire on some failed multiplayer games before landing at Ion Storm. While Jason's name is forgotten, we all know his boss John Romero. In 2014, Daikatana ranks only behind Mario as the #2 best-selling video game franchise of all time. Oh John, we're all your bitch, and we love it.

Hopper

Post Dec 18th '14, 04:06

I may have never known about the game. Except maybe after A1 was first done, but who knows if even that would have happened.....
Marathon Player Since 1995.

If You Are Always Dying in The Game, You Are Not a Bad Player, You Are Learning.

Sharkie Lino
Long Island, New York

Post Dec 18th '14, 18:19

Hopper wrote:A curiosity. In the brutally competitive DOS gaming environment (in 1994, Windows was something you quit before playing games), Marathon never finds its audience compared to the more viscerally satisfying DOOM. There's still a fan site online with some level maps, and a few years ago somebody tried to get it into AGDQ, but its biggest impact is incidental. Bungie made it into the Guinness book for the number of death threats they received from furious Mac gamers, who were salivating for a Pathways Into Darkness sequel.

Jason and Alex manage to avoid bankruptcy, but soured by the failure, they disband Bungie and go their separate ways. Alex takes a job as a financial planner but his heart and spare time remain devoted to games. His runaway Facebook successes, MythVille and Zombie Crush, are sold to AOL Time Warner for $30 million. Jason works for hire on some failed multiplayer games before landing at Ion Storm. While Jason's name is forgotten, we all know his boss John Romero. In 2014, Daikatana ranks only behind Mario as the #2 best-selling video game franchise of all time. Oh John, we're all your bitch, and we love it.

Pretty much everyone forgets about Marathon until Interceptor Entertainment buys the rights for like $20,000 and makes a mediocre remake of that instead of Rise of the Triad.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Dec 21st '14, 01:53

Okay, I'll be honest. Hopper's answer had me laughing.
listener

Post Dec 22nd '14, 23:02

In all honesty, my life would probably be completely different.

As a rabid Mac fan, I wouldn't have paid any attention to (or probably even heard of) Marathon, and I probably wouldn't have remembered the Bungie name at all — just one random neat little game called Pathways into Darkness amongst a bunch of neat random little games I played to pass the time. Without Marathon I probably wouldn't have gotten seriously into games at all, and wouldn't have wanted to grow up to be a game designer. I wouldn't have taken an interest in graphic design toward that end, wouldn't have majored in Multimedia Arts in college, and probably wouldn't be working in the graphics field right now — and thus wouldn't have my current job, which is the reason why I live where I live now. I also wouldn't have met basically any of my current online friends, all of whom I know either through Bungie communities or through people who I knew through Bungie communities.

Even though I don't really give a shit at all about the modern gaming scene, if it hadn't been for Marathon I probably wouldn't have ever cared, and my career and thus my life would be radically different. I don't know whether it would be better or worse, but it would definitely be different.

Pfhorrest
California

Post Dec 23rd '14, 02:28

Hopper wrote:A curiosity. In the brutally competitive DOS gaming environment (in 1994, Windows was something you quit before playing games), Marathon never finds its audience compared to the more viscerally satisfying DOOM. There's still a fan site online with some level maps, and a few years ago somebody tried to get it into AGDQ, but its biggest impact is incidental. Bungie made it into the Guinness book for the number of death threats they received from furious Mac gamers, who were salivating for a Pathways Into Darkness sequel.

Pretty funny post (I assume the question assumes Bungie developed exclusively for DOS/Wintel rather than Mac) but I doubt Marathon would have been unknown had it come out for PC first, on the contrary. It certainly would have been less obscure than it was! Bungie would have likely been as famous in the gaming community as they were post-Halo if Marathon had been on PC (by the time M2 was ported to PC it was too little too late - no one gave a crap about 2.5D FPS games after Quake came out. Look at how no one played Shadow Warrior while Duke Nukem 3D was a smash hit). If Marathon had come out for PC in 1994 I expect it would have had as big of an impact that Half-Life had, but earlier.

Alric

Return to Marathon Discussion