I wonder what the original Jjaro set looked like

For topics about the story, help in a certain level, game discussion, or finding/discussing content.

Re: I wonder what the original Jjaro set looked like

Post Jan 28th '15, 14:01

it still takes place on and around L'howon and is more of a deeper exploration of the existing story concepts than advancing to any new story material. It's a wild introspection of the characters past experiences, not a brand new adventure in a whole new place.

A brand new adventure in a brand new place would be a new story. Sequels are usually related to the previous entries in a story, that's why they're sequels to begin with. Infinity does have new material; it deals with the Wrkncacnter, whereas M2 deals with the S'pht'Kr. Just because it's in the same place doesn't mean anything, unless you consider something like Dune to be one story with a bunch of expansion sets (which would be wrong).

I consider Doom 2 as more of an expansion than a sequel, especially given that some significant amounts of its content are actually cut material from Doom 1.

You can consider Doom 2 to be whatever you want, I suppose, but it is a new story (insofar as there is one) that takes place after Doom 1, it stands alone, and has loads of new content. Doom 1 has an expansion, it's called Ultimate Doom (bringing a fourth episode, Thy Flesh Consumed) and it was actually released after Doom 2 was. Doom 2 was larger than its predecessor (32 levels, versus 27), incorporates a new weapon, and roughly doubles the size of the bestiary.

This is such an asinine conversation.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Jan 28th '15, 14:02

Blastfrog wrote:I was just saying that story-wise it was an extension (not continuation) of M2's plot and that the stylistic presentation of the dream sequences felt slightly inconsistent with the first two titles.

You could say Marathon 2 was just an extension of Marathon's plot, and the stylistic presentation of the artwork and terminal writing were definitely inconsistent with the first title. Does that make Marathon 2 feel less than 100% official to you?

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Jan 28th '15, 15:21

RyokoTK wrote:It's probably the most unfortunate timing ever that, two days after Bungie announced Marathon Infinity at the Macworld Expo, id went and dropped QTest on the world and immediately no one gave a crap about sprite-based shooters.

Whatever are you talking about? We're still here, aren't we? [MLaugh]
ChristTrekker

Post Jan 28th '15, 16:24

We were all idiots that had Macs in the 90s.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Jan 28th '15, 16:27

I've always considered Marathon 2 to be an expansion for Doom 2.

Wrkncacnter

Post Jan 28th '15, 18:34

ChristTrekker wrote:Whatever are you talking about? We're still here, aren't we? [MLaugh]

Only because we're not all there.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Previous

Return to Marathon Discussion