My monitor is too big to play Marathon on

For topics about the story, help in a certain level, game discussion, or finding/discussing content.

My monitor is too big to play Marathon on

Post Feb 21st '15, 12:29

Well, the monitors of both my machines (27" iMac and 29" for my PC) are so big that all the Marathon games look crap on them at native resolution (with the exception of possibly Rubicon X which still looks pretty good).

The obvious solution would be to reduce the screen size within the game itself, but then it just looks strange playing the game in a cropped window on a big screen with big black borders.

Does anyone else have this issue? What kind of machine/monitor do you use to play Marathon these days?
CitizenKane
Dublin, Ireland

Post Feb 21st '15, 13:04

I just play in windowed mode.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Feb 21st '15, 17:29

Same as Ryoko, I haven't played fullscreen in forever. Check "Windowed mode" in Preferences > Graphics. You can temporarily toggle between fullscreen and windowed with Cmd-Return (Mac) or Alt+Return (PC).

Do you have the hi-res texture packs? Downloads on the Aleph One home page have 512x512 wall textures, and should look as good as Rubicon X in terms of texture detail.

Hopper

Post Feb 21st '15, 17:41

RyokoTK wrote:I just play in windowed mode.

I imagine when you play multiplayer you use keyboard only?
Frog blast the vent core!

$lave wrote:Damnit bridgit, you are forgetting how fucking serious business the internet is.

Tycho X
Aenna Prime

Post Feb 21st '15, 20:11

Tycho X wrote:I imagine when you play multiplayer you use keyboard only?

I imagine RyokoTK could kick ass with nothing but a Power Glove. He's probably played more Aleph One multiplayer in the last two months than you have in your life.

Fullscreen vs. windowed has no impact on mouse control. Aleph One captures the mouse during a game, so you'll never click outside the window while playing, if that's what you're thinking.

Hopper

Post Feb 21st '15, 20:51

Hopper wrote:
Tycho X wrote:I imagine when you play multiplayer you use keyboard only?

He's probably played more Aleph One multiplayer in the last two months than you have in your life.

Is there a way to view a list of all players rather than just the top 20? It's hard to effectively stalk people with the current interface.

Wrkncacnter

Post Feb 21st '15, 22:39

Wrkncacnter wrote:Is there a way to view a list of all players rather than just the top 20? It's hard to effectively stalk people with the current interface.

Try this link.

Hopper

Post Feb 21st '15, 23:55

Tycho X wrote:
RyokoTK wrote:I just play in windowed mode.

I imagine when you play multiplayer you use keyboard only?

The game recenters the mouse every frame, so playing in windowed is not an issue in this regard unless you massively jerk the mouse outside of your window in a thirtieth of a second.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Feb 22nd '15, 11:11

Thanks for the replies all.

Do you not find that windowed mode makes the game less 'immersive' though, and detracts from the experience a bit?
CitizenKane
Dublin, Ireland

Post Feb 22nd '15, 13:40

I guess that by this point I've played so much Marathon that I can't get myself really immersed into the game anymore.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Feb 22nd '15, 13:46

I used to feel that way - that I'd never want to play a first person game in a window, almost on principle. But I got used to it pretty quickly, and any performance hit has been unnoticeable.

I too have the 27" iMac, and I suspect part of the reason windowed mode works is because the screen is large enough that my eyes don't focus clearly on what's at the edges of the screen, anyway. I mean, if I had a YouTube video playing in another window that would be distracting, but most anything static is okay. Windowed mode is quite useful for development, too, e.g. switching back and forth between playing a level and making changes to it in Weland.

All in all, though, playing with black borders as you first described wouldn't look more "strange" to me than windowed mode.

Lastly, I'll throw in another vote for high-res textures and other enhancements if you like the art. 256 and 512 may sound small when you're on a huge display, but they do make a lovely difference. [MSmile]

Crater Creator

Return to Marathon Discussion