Save Function Crashes My Game

For topics about the story, help in a certain level, game discussion, or finding/discussing content.

Save Function Crashes My Game

Post Feb 21st '16, 02:45

Hi,

Whenever I use a "Save" station, the game quits immediately. This happens in the PC version of Marathon, Durandal, and Infinity. Any tips as to how to be able to save successfully?

Thanks,

Alan
starfire

Post Feb 21st '16, 02:55

Your game might not have write access to the save folder. Try running as administrator, if this gets tiring to do every time, just disable UAC. What is your operating system?
Zetren
Ireland

Post Feb 21st '16, 02:57

Windows 10.

Running as Admin does not seem to help.

Hmmm. I don't seem to have a "Save" Folder. Can I create one?
starfire

Post Feb 22nd '16, 23:33

Do you get any errors reported in the log file? If not, can you collect a crash report?

Hopper

Post Feb 23rd '16, 02:03

Hopper wrote:Do you get any errors reported in the log file? If not, can you collect a crash report?

Thanks for the help. Yes, I have this:

-------------------- Sat Feb 20 21:49:28 2016

-------------------- Sat Feb 20 21:49:37 2016

Unhandled exception: boost::filesystem::unique_path: Keyset as registered is invalid (shell.cpp:381)

-------------------- Sat Feb 20 21:53:14 2016

Unhandled exception: boost::filesystem::unique_path: Keyset as registered is invalid (shell.cpp:381)
starfire

Post Feb 29th '16, 23:06

Can anyone help with this? It's not a lot of fun starting over from the beginning each time.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Alan
starfire

Post Mar 1st '16, 03:47

Googling that error message led me to this page which suggests deleting or renaming the directory:

C:\Users\(your Windows username)\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA

Apparently cache files in that directory can get corrupted and screw up various programs. Best of luck, let us know how it goes!

Hopper

Post Mar 1st '16, 14:06

If Hopper's idea doesn't work….

I'm not very good at this sort of thing, but maybe some of this will give you an idea or two.

I presume the Tab key opens the doors and works the terminals, it only crashes when you try to save a game. This sounds weird, but does your tab key actually do the tab function? Some computer makers, to increase the pleasure of your computer experience, actually recode some keys to do things that practically no one in the known universe wants to do. I had to redo all the function keys on mine to be function keys.

How do you play? Do you start AlephOne (green icon) then from a list choose which scenario you want to play, or do you go, for example, into the Marathon 2 folder and click the brown icon which loads the game directly without you having to choose from a list? On my system, the .exe's in the separate folders are the older version and the AlephOne is the newer one. Last night, I did both ways for all three games and they all saved properly in their respective manners. I have only downloaded the 20150620 version of AlephOne. My M, M2, MI, .exe's are from 2012 & 2014. Perhaps you can find an older version of the .exe to try. The "download" link on the S'pht on the home page may still have them available.

The save file is two folders: one called Quick Saves, the other called Image Cache. Both are in the Aleph One folder which should be at the Widows 10 equivalent of:
XP = C:\Documents and Settings\*username*\My Documents\AlephOne
Windows 7 = C:\Users\*username*\Documents\AlephOne
In the Quick Saves folder there is a subfolder for each game: Marathon, Marathon2, Infinity, Eternal, etc.
On the older versions the single save folder is named Saved Games and everything is in there, but names only, no maps.
If any of these folders don't exist, the program usually creates them when needed.

As Zetren says, it might be something with permissions and/or user accounts. I have run into this several times when trying to write or copy files. Perhaps the account that plays the game is not one that can write to the folder.
If it's just your computer, you can give your user all authority to AlephOne and the Quick Saves folder & subfolders and Image Cache folder.

It may just be your particular computer. My XP will immediately exit if I try to use the m command for the map. My W7 will do the m command, but when I exit AlephOne playing Eternal, it gives an error that program has stopped working and I need to end it (though it hasn't always done this), but only for Eternal, not for any of the other games.

Here is something else to try. On the main menu, go to Preferences>Environment>Solo Script then select the Cheats.lua script, then during the game (anywhere you want) use the console command, \ key, then type in yourmom() <Enter> on the command line and see if that works. Albert Einstein once defined insanity as doing the same thing again and expecting different results; but then ol' Al never used Windows.

Another thing to try is to set it to run in a compatibility mode for Windows 7 or 8 for example. It might be one of the programs that W10 can't run. Any other W10 users around?

If you already know and/or have tried all of this and/or none of it applies or works, well, we haven't lost any ground and have gotten some typing and posting exercise.
I just play 'em; I don't know how they work.

HelviusRufus

Post Mar 4th '16, 04:04

Hot Damn! Hopper's idea worked! I tried changing my Action key from Tab to G (as suggested by HelviusRufus) as that did not require a restart, but it didn't do anything. But renaming the RSA folder worked. I just renamed the RSA folder to RSA_OLD, restarted the computer, started up Marathon, and BOOM! I could save my games. Thanks for all of the help guys!

Oddly enough, I cannot start a game from the AlephOne icon, nor from the Marathon icon in the AlephOne folder (I have both a green AlephOne.exe and a blue Marathon.exe file in my AlephOne folder). I can start the game from the .exe files in my Marathon, Marathon II and Marathon Infinity folders.

I'm very happy I can save games now though.
starfire

Post Mar 4th '16, 05:36

Dies felicissimus!
Ad caedem et occisionem!
Attachments
co.png
Ad caedem et occisionem!
I just play 'em; I don't know how they work.

HelviusRufus

Return to Marathon Discussion