POLL: The Future of 'Tour of Duty'

For topics about the story, help in a certain level, game discussion, or finding/discussing content.

What Marathon scenario should 'Tour of Duty' cover next?

Poll ended at Apr 10th '16, 05:25

Marathon: Phoenix
11%
Marathon: Rubicon X
30%
Marathon: Eternal X
4%
Marathon: RED
11%
Tempus Irae 2: The Lost Levels
4%
Excalibur: Morgana's Revenge
30%
Devil in a Blue Dress
11%

Total votes : 27

Re: POLL: The Future of 'Tour of Duty'

Post Mar 29th '16, 10:40

same. since emr won't win

irons
(.Y.)

Post Mar 29th '16, 17:34

I would also like to see Marathon: Wrkncacnter.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Mar 29th '16, 19:05

Marathon: W'rkncacnter - variations on a theme - a traditional and respected mode of artistic expression; usually in music (Goldberg, Haydn, and Tallis come to mind) though in the computer age adaptable to the visual arts. It would be intriguing to investigate how the variations impact the physical and psychological aspects of the gameplay.
Especially psychological.

I heard a couple o Pfhor fighters talking about Me:
Why man, he doth bestride this station like a Colossus, and we petty fighters
Walke under his huge legges, and peepe about to find ourselves dishonorable graves.

I blasted them like curs out of my way…
Here, in Ares Missed Supremacy; tis furnished well with Pfhor,
And Pfhor are chiton and ichor, and apprehensive,
Yet in Ares Missed Supremacy, there is but One
That unassailable holds on his Rank,
Unshak'd in Purpose: and I. Am. He.

Mark Chu-Carroll wrote a blog post 9 or 10 year ago about a programming language consisting of blocks or tiles of various sizes and colors. Perhaps level 25 is actually the data for a secret level….

I like Marathon: W'rkncacnter but have never thought of it as an actual scenario but as an example of art for its own sake but it could be a very interesting ToD.
I just play 'em; I don't know how they work.

HelviusRufus

Post Mar 29th '16, 21:44

Hmm... I see what you all have done. <_<

Let me make myself clear. Two quotes should help with this:

Infinitus514 wrote:Unless there's some serious glitchery going on on my PC, it seems that [Marathon: W'rkncacnter] is just 25 clones of Aie Mak Sicur.

No story, and Aie Mak Sicur is a fun level, but playing the same level over and over gets old.

DADDY Z3RO wrote:Yes, this is in fact 25 clones of Aie Mak Secur, the only awesome one being the last level (spectrum WINS!)

If y'all just wanted to see us do Aye Mak Sicur, you can find the writeup for that level here.

If, on the other hand, your motives were deeper, darker, and more mysterious than that... then just stop it. You're not helping anyone get anything done, and you should take this thread more seriously than that.

PerseusSpartacus
Somewhere in the 19th Century...

Post Mar 29th '16, 21:58

PerseusSpartacus wrote:you should take this thread more seriously

mararthon w'rkncacnter is serious business
p.s. hopper + patrick 4-eva

Hopper

Post Mar 29th '16, 22:15

dudes, seriously

Please stop.

Wrkncacnter

Post Mar 29th '16, 23:09

I put a lot of time and effort into Marathon W'rkncacnter and while I think you'd have to dig a bit deeper than a normal ToD to understand what I was trying to express with it, the result could be very interesting. Ultimately it's your decision what scenario to do but remember you did ask people what they wanted next.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Mar 29th '16, 23:34

PerseusSpartacus wrote:You're not helping anyone get anything done

Neither are polls.

PerseusSpartacus wrote:you should take this thread more seriously than that.

I can't decide how to respond to that, help me pick:
a) Is that a joke? Have you even been to this forum before?
b) What's so important about your post that people should take it seriously?
c) Tell me more about Marathon: Grendel.
d) Yes, I've got it right here. <give Marathon: W'rkncacnter>
e) I have no more questions. Goodbye.

philtron

Post Mar 29th '16, 23:37

treellama wrote:I put a lot of time and effort into Marathon W'rkncacnter and while I think you'd have to dig a bit deeper than a normal ToD to understand what I was trying to express with it, the result could be very interesting.

Like modern art? :P

Sorry, it's not that bad, but I still don't see any subtlety in having 25 versions of the same map, all just textured differently. I'm not including that 26th version, because there's something just too fun about a spectrum-covered, A-BoB-filled level. In any case, it's not the kind of subtlety that we'd like to cover in a ToD.

treellama wrote:Ultimately it's your decision what scenario to do but remember you did ask people what they wanted next.

Yes, but it's pretty obvious that the people who suggested the idea in the first place were not being serious, and the ones who were being serious (apart from you) probably didn't know what they were in for.

PerseusSpartacus

Post Mar 29th '16, 23:43

philtron wrote:Neither are polls.

On the contrary, this poll helps us decide what to do next with the Tour of Duty.

philtron wrote:a) Is that a joke? Have you even been to this forum before?

I have. I just forgot how bad it was. I'm used to the Story Forum, mind you.

philtron wrote:b) What's so important about your post that people should take it seriously?

It's a serious post about a serious project, made in dead seriousness. Unlike the non-serious replies I've received from around here (and yes, 'non-serious' is putting it mildly).

philtron wrote:c) Tell me more about Marathon: Grendel.

I will... Soon... No really, I promise. :P

philtron wrote:e) I have no more questions. Goodbye.

Are you playing this RPG for the first time? If not, you can jump straight to that answer, because really, there's nothing more to see here. :rolleyes:

PerseusSpartacus

Post Mar 29th '16, 23:46

Obvious to who? I very honestly would like to see a ToD of Marathon: W'rkncacnter more than any other scenario (except Marathon: Rod, and I'm not sure where to download that from), and I don't see anything in other people's posts to suggest they're lying either. Why would they?

If you don't think you could do a good job though, then that's that. Maybe Irons would be willing to cover it in a JUICEcast series.

Wrkncacnter

Post Mar 29th '16, 23:53

tedious child wrote: it's pretty obvious that the people who suggested the idea in the first place were not being serious

pretty offensive

get back to the msb esb ppp*

* perseus' playpen
patrick
末法

Post Mar 30th '16, 00:23

Why do you even have a poll, if you're going to just say "nah I don't want to do that" to the response that people give you? Why not just do whatever you wanted to do in the first place? You have a poll of what you want to see for Tour of Duty, I want to see Marathon: W'rkncacnter. But I guess my vote doesn't count because you don't like my answer.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Mar 30th '16, 00:44

PerseusSpartacus wrote:
philtron wrote:c)]Tell me more about Marathon: Grendel.

I will... Soon... No really, I promise. :P

Nobody actually cares. I told you that.

PerseusSpartacus wrote:Are you playing this RPG for the first time? If not, you can jump straight to that answer, because really, there's nothing more to see here. :rolleyes:

I can't. I have to first deliver the quest item and complete the quest before I can move on in the story:

PerseusSpartacus wrote:
philtron wrote:Neither are polls.

On the contrary, this poll helps us decide what to do next with the Tour of Duty.

You could have just started already. The poll is just wasting time. I think you just did it to have some arbitrary social interactions with people because you're lonely.

philtron

Post Mar 30th '16, 01:33

RyokoTK wrote:Why do you even have a poll, if you're going to just say "nah I don't want to do that" to the response that people give you? Why not just do whatever you wanted to do in the first place? You have a poll of what you want to see for Tour of Duty, I want to see Marathon: W'rkncacnter. But I guess my vote doesn't count because you don't like my answer.

I refused to accept it because it wasn't a serious response and you should have known full well what the reaction would be. Please don't make this more difficult than it has to be.

philtron wrote:I can't. I have to first deliver the quest item and complete the quest before I can move on in the story:

You found it? Where did you-- Nevermind. I don't want to know, and I'd prefer if we could move on and stop putting on fake voices like we're characters in a video game. Although... Wait... Are we characters in a video game? Would we know? :P

PerseusSpartacus

Post Mar 30th '16, 02:01

Well, have fun doing Rubicon, then. I'm sure people will be thrilled to finally get someone else's perspective on such an under appreciated scenario. At least your time and effort will be spent doing something truly unique.

Wrkncacnter

Post Mar 30th '16, 02:21

If you decide to continue doing this series after Rubicon, I'd like to see you tackle Apotheosis next. I haven't seen any sort of commentary on that scenario thus far and it's probably my favorite. Pfh'Joueur is another odd one I'd like to see.

As for W'rkncacnter, it's anniversary is in a couple days. Why not humor us with it for a day and then move on with Rubicon?

Hathomirr
The Void

Post Mar 30th '16, 12:55

Hathomirr wrote:As for W'rkncacnter, it's anniversary is in a couple days.

Yes, but after that, another Anniversary Makes Seven.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Mar 30th '16, 13:48

That really is an Awful Meme. *Sighs*

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Mar 30th '16, 17:08

Well, that's four votes for Marathon Apotheosis. Are you keeping count PeSpa? Here's a fifth vote:

Marathon Apotheosis.

philtron

Post Mar 30th '16, 17:49

Please stop, Philtron. It was funny at first. Now it's just getting boring. -_-

PerseusSpartacus

Post Mar 30th '16, 17:54

PerseusSpartacus wrote:Please stop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=443B6f_4n6k

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Mar 30th '16, 18:53

Perseus, you should count all these protest/sabotage votes (for W'rkncacnter, etc) as votes for Eternal instead, then do that one. That'll show them more than anything, I think.

Pfhorrest
California

Post Mar 30th '16, 19:17

Pfhorrest wrote:Perseus, you should count all these protest/sabotage votes (for W'rkncacnter, etc) as votes for Eternal instead, then do that one. That'll show them more than anything, I think.

This actually sounds fair to me.

Wrkncacnter

Post Mar 30th '16, 20:30

Pfhorrest wrote:Perseus, you should count all these protest/sabotage votes (for W'rkncacnter, etc) as votes for Eternal instead, then do that one. That'll show them more than anything, I think.

Two problems:

1) That is a bit undemocratic and would undermine the entire point of the poll.
2) E:MR is currently getting more votes than Eternal and is, therefore, the #2 pick. It would only make sense to shift the sabotage votes to the next most popular option. Not to mention that irons actually said he "voted" for W'rkncacnter because he thought E:MR wouldn't win.

PerseusSpartacus

PreviousNext

Return to Marathon Discussion