Marathon DS

For topics about the story, help in a certain level, game discussion, or finding/discussing content.
irons
Vidmaster

There's a guy (PfhorSlayer) who hangs out in #alephone and who has been working on a "Marathon DS" for some time now. He posted screenshots (and even ROMs) to the channel fairly regularly, but he moved to India or some crazy shit like that and hasn't appeared to do much at all lately. A day or two ago, he gave us some cryptic updates on his progress, and just now he posted this:

I thought some good news might change Marathon's status from "Dead" back to "Dying." Thanks, PfhorSlayer!
underworld : simple fun netmaps // prahblum peack : simple rejected netmaps
azure dreams : simple horrible netmaps // v6.0!!!: thomas mann's greatest hits : simple simple netmaps
Major Pedro
Cyborg

So why is a Clique member changing
Marathon's status from "Dead" back to "Dying."
?

Aren't we supposed to 4GET?
treellama
Vidmaster

Major Pedro wrote:Aren't we supposed to 4GET?
You have a lot to learn about Irons.
infestedsmith
Cyborg

Very interesting. I don't own a DS, but it looks very cool. I don't think Marathon is "dead" or "dying". Games don't just die even if the community is small or lacking. People are able to play Marathon, there's a UT marathon mod, my game (the only stand-alone) there's the XBLA game, Marathon: Durandal. The lack of activity in the Pfhorums and Story Forums areas are not an indication of a dying game. I highly doubt most people who play Marathon are going to be posting a lot here, or the SF.

You might do us the favor of rotating the image though, haha. :P
Cold Fusion Games
Marathon: Infested is a fully 3D Marathon game, built from the ground up using a cross platform, stand-alone game engine.
Progress is plentiful...
Marathon: Infested
acks45
Mjolnir Mark IV

I think this is a great idea and fully support it. I own a flash cart and a ds. homebrew rocks. can someone repost a copy of the rom somewhere?
Last edited by acks45 on Dec 15th '08, 05:08, edited 1 time in total.
VirtualX1
Cyborg

Although this may take years to complete, i am allready excited about a "Marathon DS"
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.
irons
Vidmaster

ack45 wrote:I think this is a great idea and fully support it. I own a flash cart and a ds. homebrew rocks. can someone repost a copy of the rom somewhere?
Next time Pfhorslayer is responsive to messages, I'll ask him if it's OK to post a link to his work. Or you can join IRC (#alephone on irc.freenode.net) and ask him for the ROM yourself.

EDIT: Noteâ??he has told us that actual hardware DS play is very slow, but he's working on it.
Last edited by irons on Dec 15th '08, 06:49, edited 1 time in total.
azure dreams : simple horrible netmaps // v6.0!!!: thomas mann's greatest hits : simple simple netmaps
acks45
Mjolnir Mark IV

Thanks jon, I'll pop by when i get back to homebase.

edit:(tried to post a non vertically challenged copy of the picture, it failed. i copied the picture, rotated it and saved it. uploaded and posted... it was still sideways. tough luck.)

edit:oh nvm i found it. http://ma.gnolia.com/people/jon/bookmarks what a random catch.....(parts of this post have been modified so that they in no way actually connect to anything at all. give up. now.)
Last edited by acks45 on Dec 15th '08, 15:55, edited 1 time in total.
chinkeeyong
Mjolnir Mark IV

Awesome and ironic at the same time. I never imagined that Marathon's engine was simple enough to be ported to a handheld console, even the advanced DS. PfhorSlayer, you rock!
Embrace imagination.
irons
Vidmaster

ack45 wrote:Thanks jon, I'll pop by when i get back to homebase. how often does he come on there and is there a way to leave messages there for him?
He's "on" all the time, but so is everyone else. The easiest way to leave a message is probably either saying something like "Pfhorslayer: how's MDS," in the main #alephone room, thus alerting him that you've highlighted his name, or by using the command /msg pfhorslayer I have a few questions about MDS, which would send him a personal message.
(IRC-illiterate.... what DOES that v shaped scar mean?(assuming he doesnt post here))
You already seem familiar with this. But it's the best explanation.
edit:(tried to post a non vertically challenged copy of the picture, it failed. i copied the picture, rotated it and saved it. uploaded and posted... it was still sideways. tough luck.)
It was meant to be.
irons
Vidmaster

chinkeeyong wrote:Awesome and ironic at the same time. I never imagined that Marathon's engine was simple enough to be ported to a handheld console, even the advanced DS. PfhorSlayer, you rock!
It's not a port. He has written the engine using entirely new code. Think of it as an unrelated engine that happens to look and feel like Marathon.
chinkeeyong
Mjolnir Mark IV

Okay. Looks to me like weapons, lighting and scenery aren't implemented yet - looking forward to more screencaps...
Embrace imagination.
acks45
Mjolnir Mark IV

Its actually pretty amazing. runs fine. truly amazing work, hope to see it progress.
xilef
Cyborg

Is this based on the original M2 source?
treellama
Vidmaster

Xilef wrote:Is this based on the original M2 source?
irons wrote:It's not a port. He has written the engine using entirely new code. Think of it as an unrelated engine that happens to look and feel like Marathon.
ukimalefu
Mjolnir Mark IV

It should be on the iPhone

Marathon, that is.

If you build it, they will come
acks45
Mjolnir Mark IV

ukimalefu wrote:If you build it, they will come
@ comes
Enzo03
Born on Board

I wonder if it'd work on a DS emulator (since there actually are a few of those out there nowadays).
Do you know what kind of hat I'm wearing?
A party hat; you don't get one. An honor will this party be, a party in your honor, for your honor. Some of Tfear's personal guards are going to be there. You'll be introduced shortly.
Prepare to die.
JohannesG
Mjolnir Mark IV

Enzo03 wrote:I wonder if it'd work on a DS emulator (since there actually are a few of those out there nowadays).
as far as i've heard, it will work better on a DS emulator. although running it on a emulator sort of beats the purpose (unless you got a DS emulator on your PSP or something similar)
Itszutak
Born on Board

Enzo03 wrote:I wonder if it'd work on a DS emulator (since there actually are a few of those out there nowadays).
If I'm reading this right- You want to play a DS port of a computer game on a DS emulator running on your computer?

Seems like a few steps could be removed there
Sphting Distance
Born on Board

Is this officially dead?
Jim
Cyborg

Seeing as how this thread hasn't been posted in since January, I would say it's dead.
I don't care anymore.
Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

Looks like people posted in it just today, so it must be pretty active.

dUGH-it,
Wrk
Caleb
Born on Board

Curious about this, it wouldn't be an official DS game now would it? Would you have to hack your DS?
"Cause I got a shotgun, and you ain't got one."
Formerly Felldoh93
My Deviantart
sgraff
Born on Board

Fell wrote:Curious about this, it wouldn't be an official DS game now would it? Would you have to hack your DS?
Not quite, you do not need to modify the DS at all. From the homebrew that I have tried, it requires a piece of hardware that adapts and bypasses the DSi's firmware and allows access to information stored in a micro SD card. The newest hardware that I am aware of is called an R4i. A normal DS or DSlite has no real firmware so it's easier to play homebrew on it.
Last edited by sgraff on Jan 9th '10, 01:17, edited 1 time in total.