Long ago, there where Frolic

For topics about the story, help in a certain level, game discussion, or finding/discussing content.

Long ago, there where Frolic

Post Aug 23rd '18, 05:44

Frolic was an old project before I knew how total conversion worked and it was on Infinity. https://drive.google.com/open?id=1isdlo ... L4ATvSbJok

Don't know if you have to download the mp4. I don't know what else to do to show it.

The map shown was using only another shapes file instead of scripting HD textures. It's short and simple and had custom sound effects. Did someone else do something similar? Let me know cause this is a discussion post for when you did custom content.
Screamernail

Post Aug 23rd '18, 06:41

Don't think I've seen any other scenario going for that particular sort of stylized look.

(Psst--if you wanna do more with something like this but don't feel like you have the time to draw enemy and player character sprites, you could always go the "entirely puzzle/exploration-based" route)
welcome to the scene of the crash

General-RADIX

Post Aug 23rd '18, 06:53

That kind of minimalist style is pretty neat. I think Joho would approve.

Oddly it reminds me a bit of Portal.

I could see your style of character drawings you've posted here before fitting in well with that texture style too. I'd be interested to see something like that completed. :-)

Pfhorrest
California

Post Aug 23rd '18, 07:21

I could see your style of character drawings you've posted here before fitting in well with that texture style too. I'd be interested to see something like that completed. :-)

Thank you.

Maybe I should create a scenario like this and not worry about realism(Which I'm not good at).
Screamernail

Post Aug 23rd '18, 18:13

Yeah I think you should! Don't worry about not being able to achieve a particular style, just lean into the style you're good at and make that the best it can be.

Pfhorrest
California

Post Aug 26th '18, 04:31

it's a style... I find it... strangely familiar but... I can't exactly remember what I think it looks like...

I was surprised to actually like it. I'd prefer a little more detail and a little more contrast in lights and shadows, just a little, but maybe that's just me and my old eyes.

It certainly needs a new weapon sprite to match the look.

And I feel doing the music with 8bit sounds would be cool.

ukimalefu

Post Aug 26th '18, 06:47

Maybe you did something similar?

And Frolic weren't continued for ages so I doubt that I would work on it more. But maybe I will release the files of the thing today!
Screamernail

Return to Marathon Discussion