WMaiD

For topics about the story, help in a certain level, game discussion, or finding/discussing content.
$lave

if you need any help with mapping shoot me a PM. I've got a decent amount of free time for the next month or so, and would love to see WMaiD finished.
Dugit
Vidmaster

Came out of retirement to ask how WMaiD is doing. Had the urge to play through Rubicon again last week, and now I'm stuck playing Marathon again.

WMaiD had such great potential, I just wondered if it's properly dead by now.
thedoctor45
Mjolnir Mark IV

Unfortunately development of WMaiD has once again come to a halt - at least on my end. I had recruited a few people from the pfhorums ($lave, CryoS, and also Windbreaker) who have all been working on this project at some point, but I'm not sure if they are still interested in contributing their time and effort since it has become pretty obvious that the current team will not be able to give WMaiD the neccessary treatment it needs to get to a playble state. I haven't heard anything from the original creator, Blayne Scott in years either. The sad truth is Halathon has consumed all my attention for the moment so WMaiD won't be my top priority until after the Halathon Demo has been released. If ever.

If people here are still interested in it I could release the WIP files to the public though.
CryoS
Vidmaster

Sadly the lil' free time i had has gone to help Pfhorrest in any way i can so cant promise i can map much. :(
General-RADIX
Cyborg

Sadly, the only things I could provide (art, writing, maybe level outlines) have probably already been taken care of...

How many things would WMaiD need to be playable? Are all the levels technically complete and in need of testing, or are there still a few left to go?
welcome to the scene of the crash
thedoctor45
Mjolnir Mark IV

General-RADIX wrote:Sadly, the only things I could provide (art, writing, maybe level outlines) have probably already been taken care of...

How many things would WMaiD need to be playable? Are all the levels technically complete and in need of testing, or are there still a few left to go?
There are actually quite a few maps that still need to be built or re-built from scratch - there is a basic idea of how these levels should look/work but that's about it.

Here's a list of all current maps - green ones are done - red ones need to be re-built and orange ones are currently being worked on.
mapindex.PNG
philtron
Mjolnir Mark IV

What are the black ones? And the "what needs to be done" doesn't always seem to correspond correctly to your color coding: Future Ancients is green but says it needs to be built from scratch.

I just downloaded and started playing the demo. There's no sound for some reason.

Anyways, I have variable amounts of free time these coming months and could probably help with creating some new or overhauling some old maps. I could help with terminal writing as well if that's needed.

My two cents: have you considered changing/editing the story in such a way that you could cut the map count by half.
thedoctor45
Mjolnir Mark IV

The black entries are maps that still need some improvements and are currently not being worked on, but I would certainly appreciate it if you could give us a hand with fixing some of those.

I can send you a DL-link to the latest WMaiD Beta so you can get started right away.

Btw, we have considered reducing the map count by around 3-5 levels but cutting them in half would destroy the storyline/flow imho.
philtron
Mjolnir Mark IV

Sure, send me the link. I won't be able to take a good look at things until next week though.

I mainly work on maps in classic Forge. Off the top of your head do you know if there are any maps with excessive polygon counts or view distances that would require me to download Weland?

Not to step on your toes, but in terms of the story: I am pretty good at cutting and condensing; if you'd be interested I could take a look at the story and see what could be consolidated while keeping the overall feel and flow of the original story. Otherwise I'll just stick to polishing up levels.
thedoctor45
Mjolnir Mark IV

I think it would be more convenient for you to download Weland since all other people on the team have been using it as well and most maps we have worked on exceed Forges poly limit.

I will also send you all documents I have in regards to the WMaiD storyline. There is definitely some room for improvements there so feel free to tinker with it.
JohannesG
Mjolnir Mark IV

So I just noticed this thread now. Great to see this scenario still being alive after all this time.

Correct me if i am wrong, but who was the original author (or team leader) of WMaiD? Wasn't it Blayne Scott? If so, does anyone know where he is now a days? I am trying to reconnect with some old pals from the early days of thon.
Nordevai
Born on Board

JohannesG wrote:If so, does anyone know where he is now a days? I am trying to reconnect with some old pals from the early days of thon.
Its been a few years since i talked to him, but i believe his gmail is still valid.
thedoctor45
Mjolnir Mark IV

I've last talked to Blayne in July of 2015 - he said he was planning to move from South Korea back to Canada in september but not sure what his current residence and occupation actually are...

He seemed very busy though and told me he won't able to help with anything until that date. I haven't contaced him since. His Skype nick is blayne.scott btw, maybe you can reach him through there.

Anyway, on another note, I'm still trying to get work done on WMaiD, or rather get other people to get stuff done since I'm currently mostly occupied with other projects, one of them being Halathon ofc... however Windbreaker and philtron both haven't sent me back much yet and I'm not sure if they're still interested in the project.

Once Halathon is finally released I'll try to dedicate some more time to the completion of WMaiD but if I can't get it done by the end of 2017 I will simply release all the WIP files as Beta content here or on Simplici7y for the community to salvage because there's really no point in dragging this thing along with me for an even longer period of time.

take care
doc
philtron
Mjolnir Mark IV

thedoctor45 wrote:however Windbreaker and philtron both haven't sent me back much yet and I'm not sure if they're still interested in the project.
Still interested, but things changed and don't have as much time anymore. Still hope to get back to it since I'm excited about the level I'm working on.
thedoctor45
Mjolnir Mark IV

thedoctor45 wrote:Once Halathon is finally released I'll try to dedicate some more time to the completion of WMaiD but if I can't get it done by the end of 2017 I will simply release all the WIP files as Beta content here or on Simplici7y for the community to salvage because there's really no point in dragging this thing along with me for an even longer period of time.
Well, my calendar says it's 2018 and WMaiD's still not done unfortunately.
My question is, does anyone here actually want me to share the incomplete Beta build or should I just lock everything away indefinitely until some mircale happens...
General-RADIX
Cyborg

Sharing the beta seems like a good idea to me; locking it away feels like a waste.
thedoctor45
Mjolnir Mark IV

Alright, I'll try to polish everything a little further over the next 1-2 weeks in order to get at least the first few maps playable so it provides some gameplay value and then dump it on s7.
Pfhorrest
Vidmaster

I look forward to seeing that. :-)
Friezus Christ
Spazeroid

Hey, I was wondering if you need help with map design? I've been wanting to do a scenario for Marathon since I was a kid. I played around with Weyland map editor, but I didn't really figure it out. I have experience with building Doom map's, I was working on a mini WAD back in April-August of 2017. Unfortunately, My machine crashed, and I lost all my work. I'm still very salty about it! All I have left are some screen shot's of some map's I was close to completing. I actually planned on making a secret level, which would have been a replica of Arrival, and I used the Marathon soundtrack for my level's. I'll link the screens of my level's. If anyone could shoot me a guide on how to set up Weyland, and perhaps help me out with learning how to use it, I'd be more than happy to contribute to this. I do like making eerie map's, that keeps the player on edge. I should have more time on my hands to work on something like this now. since my position at work was just terminated, and I'll more than likely be on call now, so I'll have a ton of spare time in the upcoming weeks.

Here are my screens, they don't really do the map's justice, I wish I had taken more so that you guy's could see the level of detail I put into my work. I'm pretty certain I took screens of the last area of level 5 I was working on. It the entrance into the Command Control sector of the base, which was built into a mountain. I spent hours working on the lighting, and detail's of tech base texture's mixed with cave textures, as the one part had you going through dug out caverns with computer's and tech base theme's. I'll try and see if I still have them. But I hadn't finished texturing a lot of the outdoor area's, I was looking for the proper water, rock and dirt textures, also a good looking sky.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/125890699@N06/?

Regards,

Andrew
thedoctor45
Mjolnir Mark IV

A lot of stuff has happened since I took over the project in 2014 so I think it's about time for a major status update post:
01b.jpg
ar2.jpg
Eyecandy.png
kantresrealm.jpg
MementoMore_0003.jpg
MementoMore_0004.jpg
neb.jpg
Screen_Shot_2018-05-20_at_7.55.53_PM.jpg
Screen_Shot_2018-05-20_at_7.56.17_PM.jpg
Screen_Shot_2018-05-20_at_7.57.08_PM.jpg
Special thanks go to $lave, CryoS & Windbreaker for their exemplary hard work & continued support for this project.

We're currently aiming for a release in late 2018/early 2019 so keep your eyes peeled.

regards
doc
Pfhorrest
Vidmaster

Awesome! I love the look of the Nebulon environment.
The Man
Vidmaster

This looks amazing. Will there be a need for alpha/beta testers, or have you all pretty much gotten that taken care of already?
“People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.” —V, V for Vendetta (Alan Moore)

“The trouble is that we have a bad habit, encouraged by pedants and sophisticates, of considering happiness as something rather stupid. Only pain is intellectual, only evil interesting. This is the treason of the artist: a refusal to admit the banality of evil and the terrible boredom of pain. If you can’t lick ’em, join ’em. If it hurts, repeat it. But to praise despair is to condemn delight, to embrace violence is to lose hold of everything else. We have almost lost hold; we can no longer describe happy man, nor make any celebration of joy.” —Ursula K. Le Guin, “The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas”

“If others had not been foolish, we should be so.” —William Blake, The Marriage of Heaven and Hell

“The law cannot protect anyone unless it binds everyone; and it cannot bind anyone unless it protects everyone.” —Frank Wilhoit

Last.fm · Marathon Chronicles · Marathon Eternal 1.2 · Where Monsters Are in Dreams · YouTube Vidmaster’s Challenge
General-RADIX
Cyborg

This a huge step up from what was shown of the older build(s)! I may take some visual cues from the Nebulon set for my own Nebulons.

Is there some CLUT trickery going on with the SO's weapons in said set, or can A1 do tinted lighting?
Last edited by General-RADIX on May 21st '18, 14:52, edited 1 time in total.
treellama
Vidmaster

Those are some fine screenshots.
thedoctor45
Mjolnir Mark IV

General-RADIX wrote:This a huge step up from what was shown of the older build(s)! I may take some visual cues from the Nebulon set for my own Nebulons.

Is there some CLUT trickery going on with the SO's weapons in said set, or can A1 do tinted lighting?
Not sure what you`re referring to but these weapon effects are all pre-rendered into the sprites.
The Man wrote:This looks amazing. Will there be a need for alpha/beta testers, or have you all pretty much gotten that taken care of already?
Thanks, I'll let you know when we hit the closed Beta phase.