WMaiD

For topics about the story, help in a certain level, game discussion, or finding/discussing content.

Re: WMaiD

Post Jul 24th '14, 04:03

if you need any help with mapping shoot me a PM. I've got a decent amount of free time for the next month or so, and would love to see WMaiD finished.

$lave

Post Sep 14th '16, 11:18

Came out of retirement to ask how WMaiD is doing. Had the urge to play through Rubicon again last week, and now I'm stuck playing Marathon again.

WMaiD had such great potential, I just wondered if it's properly dead by now.

Dugit
Hampshire, UK

Post Sep 15th '16, 14:03

Unfortunately development of WMaiD has once again come to a halt - at least on my end. I had recruited a few people from the pfhorums ($lave, CryoS, and also Windbreaker) who have all been working on this project at some point, but I'm not sure if they are still interested in contributing their time and effort since it has become pretty obvious that the current team will not be able to give WMaiD the neccessary treatment it needs to get to a playble state. I haven't heard anything from the original creator, Blayne Scott in years either. The sad truth is Halathon has consumed all my attention for the moment so WMaiD won't be my top priority until after the Halathon Demo has been released. If ever.

If people here are still interested in it I could release the WIP files to the public though.

thedoctor45

Post Sep 15th '16, 16:34

Sadly the lil' free time i had has gone to help Pfhorrest in any way i can so cant promise i can map much. :(

CryoS
The Dungeon

Post Sep 15th '16, 18:56

Sadly, the only things I could provide (art, writing, maybe level outlines) have probably already been taken care of...

How many things would WMaiD need to be playable? Are all the levels technically complete and in need of testing, or are there still a few left to go?
welcome to the scene of the crash

General-RADIX

Post Sep 15th '16, 19:22

General-RADIX wrote:Sadly, the only things I could provide (art, writing, maybe level outlines) have probably already been taken care of...

How many things would WMaiD need to be playable? Are all the levels technically complete and in need of testing, or are there still a few left to go?

There are actually quite a few maps that still need to be built or re-built from scratch - there is a basic idea of how these levels should look/work but that's about it.

Here's a list of all current maps - green ones are done - red ones need to be re-built and orange ones are currently being worked on.

mapindex.PNG

thedoctor45

Post Sep 15th '16, 19:41

What are the black ones? And the "what needs to be done" doesn't always seem to correspond correctly to your color coding: Future Ancients is green but says it needs to be built from scratch.

I just downloaded and started playing the demo. There's no sound for some reason.

Anyways, I have variable amounts of free time these coming months and could probably help with creating some new or overhauling some old maps. I could help with terminal writing as well if that's needed.

My two cents: have you considered changing/editing the story in such a way that you could cut the map count by half.

philtron

Post Sep 16th '16, 06:10

The black entries are maps that still need some improvements and are currently not being worked on, but I would certainly appreciate it if you could give us a hand with fixing some of those.

I can send you a DL-link to the latest WMaiD Beta so you can get started right away.

Btw, we have considered reducing the map count by around 3-5 levels but cutting them in half would destroy the storyline/flow imho.

thedoctor45

Post Sep 16th '16, 15:26

Sure, send me the link. I won't be able to take a good look at things until next week though.

I mainly work on maps in classic Forge. Off the top of your head do you know if there are any maps with excessive polygon counts or view distances that would require me to download Weland?

Not to step on your toes, but in terms of the story: I am pretty good at cutting and condensing; if you'd be interested I could take a look at the story and see what could be consolidated while keeping the overall feel and flow of the original story. Otherwise I'll just stick to polishing up levels.

philtron

Post Sep 16th '16, 18:50

I think it would be more convenient for you to download Weland since all other people on the team have been using it as well and most maps we have worked on exceed Forges poly limit.

I will also send you all documents I have in regards to the WMaiD storyline. There is definitely some room for improvements there so feel free to tinker with it.

thedoctor45

Post Dec 22nd '16, 11:31

So I just noticed this thread now. Great to see this scenario still being alive after all this time.

Correct me if i am wrong, but who was the original author (or team leader) of WMaiD? Wasn't it Blayne Scott? If so, does anyone know where he is now a days? I am trying to reconnect with some old pals from the early days of thon.

JohannesG

Post Dec 23rd '16, 03:34

JohannesG wrote:If so, does anyone know where he is now a days? I am trying to reconnect with some old pals from the early days of thon.

Its been a few years since i talked to him, but i believe his gmail is still valid.

Nordevai

Post Dec 30th '16, 08:52

I've last talked to Blayne in July of 2015 - he said he was planning to move from South Korea back to Canada in september but not sure what his current residence and occupation actually are...

He seemed very busy though and told me he won't able to help with anything until that date. I haven't contaced him since. His Skype nick is blayne.scott btw, maybe you can reach him through there.

Anyway, on another note, I'm still trying to get work done on WMaiD, or rather get other people to get stuff done since I'm currently mostly occupied with other projects, one of them being Halathon ofc... however Windbreaker and philtron both haven't sent me back much yet and I'm not sure if they're still interested in the project.

Once Halathon is finally released I'll try to dedicate some more time to the completion of WMaiD but if I can't get it done by the end of 2017 I will simply release all the WIP files as Beta content here or on Simplici7y for the community to salvage because there's really no point in dragging this thing along with me for an even longer period of time.

take care
doc

thedoctor45

Post Jan 3rd '17, 17:03

thedoctor45 wrote:however Windbreaker and philtron both haven't sent me back much yet and I'm not sure if they're still interested in the project.

Still interested, but things changed and don't have as much time anymore. Still hope to get back to it since I'm excited about the level I'm working on.

philtron

Previous

Return to Marathon Discussion