Marathon: Phoenix 1.1.0

For topics about the story, help in a certain level, game discussion, or finding/discussing content.

Post Jun 30th '10, 21:26

"Four months ago, the UESC science and research vessel Atreides crash-landed on a distant planet. The planet was recently identified as the unknown planet Artemis, and a light cruiser, the UESC Istanbul,, was sent to investigate the crash, recover any information possible, and destroy the wreckage before anyone else can extract the information. Most importantly, they are to establish the condition of a new AI onboard the ship, Phoenix.

Attached to the Istanbul are the unnamed security officer from the dubious campaign on Lh'owon and a detachment of S'pht'Kr, as a show of good grace in the budding alliance between the young human race and the aged but weakened S'pht.

When the Istanbul arrives in the Artemis system, it is immediately set upon by a Pfhor attack force and damaged, though the crew of the ship is able to repel the assault. Fearing the worst, the security officer leads troops down to the planet's surface to begin the mission of reaching the Atreides while the Istanbul's crew tries to repair the ship and lead a counteroffensive against the Pfhor entrenched on the planet's surface.

During the attack, the security officer finds himself embroiled in yet another struggle to save all life in the universe."

---

My 22-level major conversion is finally complete after three long years and is currently available on Simplici7y.com until a better option presents itself. The file is 107 mb.

Come and get it!

Marathon: Phoenix is an action-oriented scenario with particular stylistic emphasis on strong level design and very fast-paced gameplay, with a good level of challenge on any difficulty level without resorting to cheap tricks. What was once originally an updated re-envisioning of The Gray Incident has become almost a brand new scenario with a new plot, new weapons, and all new levels. For those of you that prefer more relaxed games, this isn't the one for you. It features an entire arsenal of new weapons, 22 large levels, and a great soundtrack by CryoS, who's busily trying to get a thumb in every pie, so to speak.

You'll probably want a fresh install of Aleph One, or something like that. This is a complete scenario; new images, sounds, etc. All you need is the application and its components.

Includes five multiplayer levels.
Last edited by RyokoTK on Jul 15th '10, 13:55, edited 1 time in total.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Jun 30th '10, 21:39

Guys, I playtested this thing. Get it now.
underworld : simple fun netmaps // prahblum peack : simple rejected netmaps
azure dreams : simple horrible netmaps // v6.0!!!: thomas mann's greatest hits : simple simple netmaps

irons
(.Y.)

Post Jun 30th '10, 21:45

I'll just wait for Phoenix X.

Wrkncacnter

Post Jun 30th '10, 22:28

This night is going to be fun!

goran

Post Jun 30th '10, 22:32

Woah, big file! Looking forward to it.
aander91

Post Jun 30th '10, 23:25

Hey, I know that music in the first level. In fact it looks strangely familiar, like something from an old dream...

ukimalefu

Post Jun 30th '10, 23:33

Yeah. Cryos put up most of his music from the two groove albums, but there are some new tunes too.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Jun 30th '10, 23:46

Got stuck on one of the first levels. Ragequit.
aander91

Post Jul 1st '10, 02:11

aander91 wrote:Got stuck on one of the first levels. Ragequit.

Shoot the switch with a charged bolt.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Jul 1st '10, 03:08

Alright, more Marathon music for my iTunes! The music certainly adds atmosphere to the game.

Great job Phoenix Team!
Love Marathon, and also play Doom on modern source ports? You might like these skins!

President People

Post Jul 1st '10, 03:28

FREAK OUT.

Finally something new to play.
And it had better have no cheap tricks like you said.

But with the plot:

MoppyPuppy wrote:Excerpt from "UESC Marathon BOB Crewman" Topic.
Nowadays though, there would be some world ending plot twist, the colony would be built over some indian burial ground, or a secret research facility for some 28 days later-esque virus, or its a containment facility where they keep the W'rkcacnter in tiny miniature wine bottles, and the Pfhor are trying to use these bottles to breed some kind of super Pfhor soldier that will end the war in their favor, but will unknowingly destroy the universe in some way in doing so.

Although its not a bad thing. I'm excited for this scenario as much as everyone else.
MoppyPuppy
Lake Nebagamon, WI

Post Jul 1st '10, 03:47

I like how many of the battles on the first level are staggered to emphasize focus first on the Imperial and then on the Fusion Cannon.
function rate() { x = document.getElementsByClassName('current-rating'); for (var i in x) { x[i].style.cssText = "width: 25px"; x[i].innerHTML = "Currently 1/5 Stars."; } }

if (document.URL != "http://www.simplici7y.com/reviews") window.onload = rate;
Dis

Post Jul 1st '10, 04:11

The Marine's origin points are messed up :(
Love Marathon, and also play Doom on modern source ports? You might like these skins!

President People

Post Jul 1st '10, 04:21

RyokoTK wrote:Shoot the switch with a charged bolt.

Damn, should've been obvious. :3
aander91

Post Jul 1st '10, 04:26

aander91 wrote:Damn, should've been obvious. :3

Come on people, haven't you played either of the first two marathon games.

This is really the only "puzzle" in the game.

Edit: Hell, you have to shoot switches in Infinity too.
Last edited by RyokoTK on Jul 1st '10, 04:31, edited 1 time in total.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Jul 1st '10, 05:03

RyokoTK wrote:what

I mean some of the Marine's torso graphics are placed awkwardly.
Last edited by President People on Jul 1st '10, 05:03, edited 1 time in total.

President People

Post Jul 1st '10, 05:44

RyokoTK wrote:My 21-level major conversion is finally complete after three long years and is currently available on Simplici7y.com until a better option presents itself. The file is 107 mb.

Come and get it!

Marathon: Phoenix is an action-oriented scenario with particular stylistic emphasis on strong level design and very fast-paced gameplay, with a good level of challenge on any difficulty level without resorting to cheap tricks. What was once originally an updated re-envisioning of The Gray Incident has become almost a brand new scenario with a new plot, new weapons, and all new levels. For those of you that prefer more relaxed games, this isn't the one for you. It features an entire arsenal of new weapons, 21 large levels, and a great soundtrack by CryoS, who's busily trying to get a thumb in every pie, so to speak.

Awesome! I will now go play this until i die of old age. [MUp] [MUp]

Grenth

Post Jul 1st '10, 06:01

He he he he! [MLaugh]
Polyplicity my second (less sucky) net pack. Go on. Download it. You know you don't want to.
Marathon Aeon- My scenario in the works ~on Simplici7y

riveting six-vertice amnesty ratifications

Dugit
Hampshire, UK

Post Jul 1st '10, 06:01

RyokoTK wrote:Come on people, haven't you played either of the first two marathon games.

This is really the only "puzzle" in the game.

Edit: Hell, you have to shoot switches in Infinity too.

Eh.
aander91

Post Jul 1st '10, 12:48

Does this mean that EFM can have CryoS back?

Paul

Post Jul 1st '10, 13:42

Paul wrote:Does this mean that EFM can have CryoS back?

Of course not.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Jul 1st '10, 19:48

CONTINE saved game? [MTongue]

I didn't notice it the first time.

ukimalefu

Post Jul 1st '10, 19:51

ukimalefu wrote:CONTINE saved game? [MTongue]

Stomped.
Last edited by Wrkncacnter on Jul 1st '10, 19:52, edited 1 time in total.

Wrkncacnter

Post Jul 1st '10, 19:54

ukimalefu wrote:CONTINE saved game? [MTongue]

I didn't notice it the first time.

DRICTELT

well a 1.1 was inevitable anyway I guess
Last edited by RyokoTK on Jul 1st '10, 20:04, edited 1 time in total.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Next

Return to Marathon Discussion