Marathon: Phoenix 1.1.0

For topics about the story, help in a certain level, game discussion, or finding/discussing content.

Post Jul 28th '11, 18:00

Just replayed the Bistromath- the 'Kombat Tournament' terminal has an odd underlining error (the whole thing is underlined)- I think there's a $u without a $U or something.
Polyplicity my second (less sucky) net pack. Go on. Download it. You know you don't want to.
Marathon Aeon- My scenario in the works ~on Simplici7y

riveting six-vertice amnesty ratifications

Dugit
Hampshire, UK

Post Jul 28th '11, 18:01

Dugit wrote:Just replayed the Bistromath- the 'Kombat Tournament' terminal has an odd underlining error (the whole thing is underlined)- I think there's a $u without a $U or something.

That's due to a bug in Atque.
Last edited by treellama on Jul 28th '11, 18:04, edited 1 time in total.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Jul 28th '11, 18:39

Treellama wrote:That's due to a bug in Atque.

I forgot all about this terminal, actually, and it took me a lot of searching in the level to find it again to see for myself. That's probably why I missed it when I released 1.0. Considering how tacky and tasteless the terminal is I thought I had just dummied it out.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Jul 29th '11, 01:50

Katar Invincibilty doesn't stop while reloading. Also feels kind of overpowered, but I suppose there is plenty of Vacbobs.
Dracheseele

Post Jul 29th '11, 04:10

Yeah the early levels make it pretty powerful, but later on it's much less effective. I will work on fixing the reload. Edit: all I had to do was check to see if the katar had ammo in it. Fixed.
Last edited by RyokoTK on Jul 29th '11, 15:06, edited 1 time in total.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Aug 2nd '11, 03:00

Finally got around to finishing up the demo. Was rather busy over the weekend.

Issues:
Crossbow tends to send things flying like crazy. Unsure if its intentional but crossbow shots also cause hard death and don't have a bleeding impact.
Flamethrower still blinds you. Shot Origin needs to be moved.
Crossbow and Flamethrower could be recentered similarly to my issue with the fusion cannon. Further to the right in these cases.

Misc thoughts:
Friendly Bobs & VacBobs seem to be winning most battles on thier own on Total Carnage. Were they buffed up?
Had a Pfhor fighter stuck in the central pillar in "The Bistromath" but I couldn't reproduce it in subsequent tests. Glitch in the matrix I suppose.
Last edited by Dracheseele on Aug 2nd '11, 03:01, edited 1 time in total.
Dracheseele

Post Aug 2nd '11, 03:40

Dracheseele wrote:Finally got around to finishing up the demo. Was rather busy over the weekend.

Issues:
Crossbow tends to send things flying like crazy. Unsure if its intentional but crossbow shots also cause hard death and don't have a bleeding impact.
Flamethrower still blinds you. Shot Origin needs to be moved.
Crossbow and Flamethrower could be recentered similarly to my issue with the fusion cannon. Further to the right in these cases.

Misc thoughts:
Friendly Bobs & VacBobs seem to be winning most battles on thier own on Total Carnage. Were they buffed up?
Had a Pfhor fighter stuck in the central pillar in "The Bistromath" but I couldn't reproduce it in subsequent tests. Glitch in the matrix I suppose.

Crossbow impact is... sort of intentional, as I want it to have a large knockback, but I agree it's too excessive still. I'm trying to find a balance because it's not consistent how much a target is knocked back.

Crossbow impact/hard death is intentional -- the pellets still deal explosive damage and have the "hunter thunk" effect on purpose. Explosive damage always causes hard death.

Flamethrower effect is blinding, yes, but it isn't the gigantic fire explosion of the old one. And anyway, it's a pretty understandable side effect of using a flamethrower: when you spit fire in front of your face, there will be fire in front of your face.

Friendly VacBobs all got 50 more health. Normal Bobs are unaffected. Areas in which they consistently win are intentional. After the first chapter they're pretty uncommon. A lot of changes in 1.2 made the first chapter generally easier because I think acclimating the player to the gameplay and style of the game is more important than starting out being really hard out of the gate. Specifically, though, the VacBob toughening goes with a thematic and stylistic shift in the human side of the storytelling. The humans are supposed to be vulnerable and your new commander is very nervous about using them at all -- so if they die right away anyway it works against the storytelling.
Last edited by RyokoTK on Aug 2nd '11, 04:08, edited 1 time in total.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Aug 2nd '11, 13:04

In Botany Bay you need to move the switch for platform 130 closer to it. I hit the switch and the platform went up without me, pinning me between the platform and switch until it came back down again.
Except the inevitable

Chocolateer

Post Aug 2nd '11, 14:02

Chocolateer wrote:In Botany Bay you need to move the switch for platform 130 closer to it. I hit the switch and the platform went up without me, pinning me between the platform and switch until it came back down again.

Yeah I already heard about this one. Thanks though.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Aug 2nd '11, 22:52

This is Dark Pfhorces. It's a deliberate nod to one of my favorite Marathon 2 levels, Ex Cathedra. It also is the new official introduction to the Flamethrower. With 130 Troopers and 50 Fighters, you'll get a lot of use out of it. It's basically the Flamethrower version of A Change of Seasons.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Aug 3rd '11, 00:16

Dracheseele wrote:Crossbow and Flamethrower could be recentered similarly to my issue with the fusion cannon. Further to the right in these cases.

The Flamethrower actually is more or less centered. It's lower than normal, but since the bolts come out lower it makes sense.

The Crossbow is too far to the left, but since the bolt is invisible I found (after some tinkering) it's actually easier to keep track of where the bolt will go with the weapon closer to the middle, even if the perspective is off.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Aug 3rd '11, 01:18

I'm just picking nits with weapon positioning. And a smile at the new level's name.
Dracheseele

Post Aug 3rd '11, 04:36

Dracheseele wrote:And a smile at the new level's name.

That and Stone Temple Pilates, heh.
Last edited by Dis on Aug 3rd '11, 04:37, edited 1 time in total.
function rate() { x = document.getElementsByClassName('current-rating'); for (var i in x) { x[i].style.cssText = "width: 25px"; x[i].innerHTML = "Currently 1/5 Stars."; } }

if (document.URL != "http://www.simplici7y.com/reviews") window.onload = rate;
Dis

Post Aug 3rd '11, 11:48

"Running from Evil" has no music in the demo. :(
Polyplicity my second (less sucky) net pack. Go on. Download it. You know you don't want to.
Marathon Aeon- My scenario in the works ~on Simplici7y

riveting six-vertice amnesty ratifications

Dugit
Hampshire, UK

Post Aug 10th '11, 16:56

Super Mustafario Brothers

Also, the Crossbow's ridiculous knockback was fixed by changing the damage type to Projectile. It doesn't have the level of knockback that I really wanted, but it's okay.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Aug 19th '11, 17:18

Phoenix 1.2 might be one of the few instances where a project of mine has become more ambitious as time goes on as opposed to less. There are dozens of map changes, from the mundane to the dramatic, and other changes to a lot of artwork and other facets of the game are making the jump to 1.2 pretty substantial. The general idea is to make the game really worth playing again.

Some of the stuff that is already done, or is definitely in the works and relatively likely to pay off:
  • Chapter restructuring - Original Phoenix had five chapters with four levels each, and when you factor in the one secret level and the level split it came up to 22 levels. 1.2 will have an additional chapter that gives further plot development to Karma. This means three new full-length levels -- the level split (Escape 2000 vs. Red Eye Express) is removed, so now you have to play both. Other levels are being rearranged or redefined -- for instance, The Face of Modern Gaming is now in the 5th chapter (of 6) instead of the 3rd chapter of 5.
  • Intermission levels - Each chapter now has an expository level at the beginning. People that played the 1.2 demo already saw two of them: Botany Bay and Static Sand Land. These serve more as an intermission for the action than anything else, but it also helps take away a bit of the text from other levels to make them read a little more easily. Because each chapter represents one greater mission in the overall story, intermission levels also help those missions stand out from each other.
  • Secret levels - The above map, Super Mustafario Brothers, is one new secret level in the game. There will hopefully be more. In the development for original Phoenix, some levels that were intended to be secrets got integrated into the actual game, mostly because they were large and not very distinctly "secret." Any new secret levels will be more like Running From Evil: short, challenging, and a little funky, but only a short diversion from the main story rather than massive labyrinths like S'phtstorm.
  • New art and music - Drictelt has made some awesome new terminal and chapter art to supplement or replace the originals. Songs by Kevin MacLeod have been brought in as well to supplement CryoS's soundtrack.
  • Weapon rebalancing - Most of this has already been explained, but I will briefly enumerate the changes. Most of these make weapons stronger:
    • IMP: More accurate; fires one bullet at once instead of two; bullets are stronger.
    • Fusion: Weapon sprite shifted down and to the left; firing origin now lines up with the barrel properly.
    • AR: Less accurate.
    • Flamethrower: Functions like the Alien Weapon. More powerful per flame.
    • Katar: Alt-fire grants invincibility. Gives 6 seconds of invincibility per fusion battery.
    • Crossbow: Fires pellets in a narrow spread rather than exploding on contact. Slightly more powerful per shot if all the pellets hit.
    • EMP/Rockets: Unchanged.
  • Level redesigns - Basically every level has had tweaks of some kind. Some are very minor; some are tremendous. For example, all I did on Intervals was change the boss. On the other hand, Nottingham Lace had the secret exit moved to a more obscure new secret, and A Space Marine is You has an entirely new tract added to it. Other changes (like giving friendly Vacbobs more health) have also effectively made the first chapter substantially easier (not easy, but easier), because I believe getting accustomed to the gameplay and style is more important than really challenging the player right out of the gate.
  • Other Lua improvements - A new powerup, entirely integrated through Lua, will regenerate health over time for 45 seconds. It's more effective if you have less health. Also, welfare ammo has been standardized for each level, and you get a lot less stuff on the whole. No free EMP ammo, for instance. Just the bare minimum for getting started on a new level if you're having trouble.
  • Terminal and plot rewrites - I think this is probably the most significant change. It's not the degree of plot shift from TGI to Phoenix, for example, but it's still pretty big. Also, as a general rule, a lot of the terminal text has been pared down to make them more readable. A lot of the smartassed comments have been removed as well, on account of them being really tasteless and childish. (You're still not permitted to smoke, however.) And the main contact is no longer the utterly unlikable Ryder. The bland S'pht'Kr have also mostly been written out. The story is, on the whole, the same, but some of the details have been moved around, that's about it.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Aug 25th '11, 16:33

RyokoTK wrote:
  • Terminal and plot rewrites - ...the main contact is no longer the utterly unlikable Ryder.

I honestly thought for the first bit of 1.1 that Ryder was going to play the role Leela played in The Rose and Bob-B-Q - a dick that makes the next character to boss the player about look far better.

And just one niggle - couldn't the old "waah, no switch at the bottom of the elevator in A Space Marine Is You" be solved by adding some dud switches to go with those dud doors, a dud switch at the bottom of the elevator and a bit of terminal text saying "sorry, a Pfhor EMP pulse has knocked out some switches, use the fusion cannon"?

Other than that, the self-restraint and attention paid here is staggering.

Weisscanker

Post Sep 30th '11, 04:02

Hello! [MLaugh]

Someone help me!
On S'phtstorm, I can't find the way into the secret room with a skull.
How can I get the skull? [MFrown]
vidhiro

Post Sep 30th '11, 23:15

vidhiro wrote:Hello! [MLaugh]

Someone help me!
On S'phtstorm, I can't find the way into the secret room with a skull.
How can I get the skull? [MFrown]

**SPOILER ALERT**

Highlight my post to see the text.

Your description is rather vagueâ?¦ However, I'm pretty sure I know which room you mean. [spoiler][see Picture 1 at the bottom of my post]

Looking down from the ledge that leads to the secret room in question [see Picture 2], you can see some Phoenix Panelsâ?¢ leading away from the rocky area [to the right in Picture 2]. Run along them to reach the ledge with the white circular M2 panel.

Turn around to face the column with the inset light [see Picture 3]. You may notice the light texture looks a bit misaligned. Press action on the light to reveal a switch. Activating the switch will open the door to the secret room, but only for 13 seconds, so you may want to hurry. :) Run back along the Phoenix Panelsâ?¢, along the rocky ledge, hop across to the opposite ledge, up the stairs, to the right and up more stairs to the secret room. If the door is closed, you may go back and reactivate the switch and try again.

There is a switch within the secret room that will reopen the door when you're ready to leave.
[/spoiler]
Hope this helps! :)
Attachments
Phoenix_3___Hidden_Switch.png
Phoenix_3___Hidden_Switch.png (1.16 MiB) Viewed 3870 times
Phoenix_2___Rocky_Ledge.png
Phoenix_2___Rocky_Ledge.png (1.32 MiB) Viewed 3871 times
Phoenix_1___Secret_Room.png
Phoenix_1___Secret_Room.png (1.12 MiB) Viewed 3870 times
Last edited by President People on Oct 14th '11, 03:43, edited 1 time in total.
Love Marathon, and also play Doom on modern source ports? You might like these skins!

President People

Post Nov 30th '11, 21:17

Have any of you noticed that if you land a shot from the EMP cannon in deep water, the big splash sprite loads but the shot doesn't discharge but rather floats in the water like a mine? You will take damage if you get close.

I recently downloaded 1.1 for the first time, so sorry if I'm being late with this. Been away from all things related to Marathon for a few years.

Khnud
Sweden

Post Dec 2nd '11, 17:36

Hey Ryoko, I'm stuck on Tantive IV. I can't for the life of me find the two chips that go here:

If you have hints you or anyone can give me I'd really appreciate it.

Sphting Distance
Pelham, New Hampshire

Post Dec 2nd '11, 17:38

Ok I found the third chip on the "3rd level". Now I need to find the last chip.

Sphting Distance
Pelham, New Hampshire

Post Dec 12th '11, 22:39

Still workin', albeit slowly. A few games, particularly Skyrim, really distracted me. As one might imagine.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Dec 25th '11, 22:48

Today is Christmas and I'm spending time finishing up Phoenix levels instead of spending time with my family. I am completely socially inept. This is Sanctum Sanctorum.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Dec 26th '11, 17:36

Help!!! Can't find last skull on Holy Wars, and I'm desperate to find it!
eats_mice

PreviousNext

Return to Marathon Discussion