What scenario should I play next??

For topics about the story, help in a certain level, game discussion, or finding/discussing content.

Post Oct 20th '10, 15:58

If I came across as rude or anything, it wasn't my intention. I have searched the board but I just wanted people's direct input based on the criteria I described in my first post (ie. give me the closest thing to EVIL and Infinity), which people have given me and I am very grateful to all.

I am currently torn between Apotheosis and Phoenix. I plan on playing both, but as for which one to play first, help me decide people...
CitizenKane
Dublin, Ireland

Post Oct 20th '10, 16:12

phoenix is very much worth your time.
dude, seriously. dude.

thermoplyae

Post Oct 20th '10, 16:16

W wrote:I think you'll have to wait for Marathon: Shadow. I'm pretty sure it'll be way better than Phoenix.

Marathon: Aeon will kick Phoenix's ass.

Jokes. :)
Polyplicity my second (less sucky) net pack. Go on. Download it. You know you don't want to.
Marathon Aeon- My scenario in the works ~on Simplici7y

riveting six-vertice amnesty ratifications

Dugit
Hampshire, UK

Post Oct 20th '10, 17:10

CitizenKane wrote:If I came across as rude or anything, it wasn't my intention. I have searched the board but I just wanted people's direct input based on the criteria I described in my first post (ie. give me the closest thing to EVIL and Infinity), which people have given me and I am very grateful to all.

I am currently torn between Apotheosis and Phoenix. I plan on playing both, but as for which one to play first, help me decide people...

Apotheosis has a good story and game play. Unfortunately, it is not a finished product. But for as long as it lasts, it's worth your time. And it lasts for 17 levels or something like that.

Phoenix on the other hand is complete, tested and polished. The levels are large, detailed, smart and action packed. The story, while not superb, is certainly good enough.

So, it's basically about what you value most. I think apotheosis is stronger in story, and phoenix stonger in gameplay. Both of these are your criteria. What's it gonna be? Apples or oranges? ;)

goran

Post Oct 20th '10, 18:31

W wrote:I think you'll have to wait for Marathon: Shadow. I'm pretty sure it'll be way better than Phoenix.

Ares Ex Machina

Post Oct 21st '10, 19:06

I found Phoenix on Total Carnage quite enjoyable.
Love Marathon, and also play Doom on modern source ports? You might like these skins!

President People

Post Oct 22nd '10, 11:19

Treellama wrote:Marathon: W'rkncacnter is pretty epic.

I know that's possibly a tongue in cheek recommendation given my previous posts, but that scenario actually does look very good...
CitizenKane
Dublin, Ireland

Post Oct 22nd '10, 12:46

It's OK. There are definitely things I would have done differently if I had to do it over.

Phoenix has two recommendations, to my one, though, so by your strict "consensus" approach to figuring out what you like, you better play it instead.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Oct 22nd '10, 20:58

Treellama wrote:It's OK. There are definitely things I would have done differently if I had to do it over.

Phoenix has two recommendations, to my one, though, so by your strict "consensus" approach to figuring out what you like, you better play it instead.

Detecting slight amount of dickitude in above post

Also, I had great fun playing Tempus Irae.

TectonInd

Post Oct 22nd '10, 22:08

Based on the overall lack of responses, perhaps you should just play a different game.

Wrkncacnter

Post Oct 23rd '10, 02:17

TectonInd wrote:Detecting slight amount of dickitude in above post
Also, I had great fun playing Tempus Irae.

Detecting slight amounts of being overly sensitive on the internet in above post.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Nov 2nd '10, 04:07

I say Phoenix. It's really fun.
D?rovací tvá?í.

Fobo: I find it hard to keep a sentence down under two paragraphs.

tehWastedJamacan
SuFu, SD

Post Mar 19th '11, 23:30

Ok, I finally got around to playing Phoenix and absolutely loved it. Really pushed the boundaries in terms of gameplay. The whole scenario was great but funnily enough I actually think the very first level is my favourite. Either that or Neo New Mordor. There was something really quite sinister and overwhelming about that level, it really did feel like the Mordor that I imagined when I read LOTR (in some ways). Great stuff.

Before Phoenix I played Apotheosis and I really didn't like it. Sure some of the artwork and architecture was impressive but overall it really lacked any sort of coherence or semblance of plot which plays such a huge role in all my favourite Marathon scenarios.

So Phoenix would be right up there now among my favourite scenarios, neatly alongside Evil and just behind the original trilogy. Whereas I was greatly disappointed with Apotheosis and Tempus Irae. I could never really get into Red either.

So this begs the question... what next??
CitizenKane
Dublin, Ireland

Post Mar 20th '11, 18:36

now, rubicon

all endings

all secrets

:3
What are you, if not seven different shades of stupid?

CryoS
The Dungeon

Post Mar 20th '11, 18:55

Actually sorry I should have put in that post I have also played Rubicon and Eternal, loved them both!

Scenarios I've played ranked from favourite to least favourite:

1. Infinity
2. M2
3. M1
4. Evil
5. Phoenix
6. Rubicon
7. Eternal
8. Apotheosis
9. Tempus Irae

Played the first few levels of Red and couldn't really get into it, and played the first level of RTM and didn't like it.

I finished the Salinger and Pfhor planks of Rubicon but didn't bother with the Tycho plank, do you reckon it's worth a go?
CitizenKane
Dublin, Ireland

Post Mar 20th '11, 20:33

I would recommend Excalibur: Morgana's Revenge 3. I worked on the project, so I acknowledge it's a self-promoting recommendation.

Crater Creator

Post Mar 20th '11, 20:34

Rubicon is a masterpiece.
"Escape will make me God"

zero
Tau Ceti or bust!

Post Apr 5th '11, 18:52

Could we put together a complete list of all the scenarios? Pleas tell me what I missed so I can make a complete list.

1. Marathon
2. Marathon 2: Durandal
3. Marathon: Infinfity
4. Marathon: Evil
5. Marathon: Eternal X ( and Omega release? Not clear on this)
6. Marathon: Rubicon X
7. Marathon: Phoenix
8. Marathon: Apotheosis
9. Marathon: Tempus Irae
10. Marathon: Red
11. Marathon: Squadron
12. Marathon: W'rkncacnter
13. Excalibur: Morgana's Revenge 3
14. Operation Vengeance

Ok so please tell me what I missed here.

Sphting Distance
Pelham, New Hampshire

Post Apr 5th '11, 21:01

There are some more scenarios at The Big House.

I would add Marathon: Trojan (An M1 scenario) and Return to Marathon (Only one chapter, but still cool).

Also, what is Operation Vengeance? If it's good, I'd like to try it out.
Love Marathon, and also play Doom on modern source ports? You might like these skins!

President People

Previous

Return to Marathon Discussion