Landscape Shapefusion Issue

Questions about the content creation procedure go here, including using Forge, Anvil, or other editors, or operating emulators like Basilisk II.

Landscape Shapefusion Issue

Post Jan 24th '18, 13:53

I have seen this pop up before but no clear answer seems to be given. Not sure if anyone is alive on here anymore.

Anyways, having an issue with trying to change the landscapes in Shapefusion. I make my new landscape, get the colour table set on GIMP, import it into Shapefusion, save, etc and when I load up my maps, the landscape is just straight black. I had this issue before where it fucked up my shapes file briefly until I saw that there was a patch or some new Shapefusion version which I downloaded and have been using. It is not imperative right now but eventually I want to change the landscapes and there is nothing suggesting how to fix this.
"He looked at his hands, but the fire in his eyes made him blink."

WeirdoYYY
Mars

Post Jan 28th '18, 09:59

GIMP is terrible at handling colour tables. If you're wanting to create a landscape that has a new colour table, I think it's probably easier to use a texture replacement MML plugin. But if you can work within the given colour table, if you export an image from shapesfusion, open it with the GIMP, open your new landscape in the GIMP in a new window, then go Image > Mode > Indexed, click Use Custom Pallete, then click the pallete icon and scroll up to "Pallete of <the other image file you have open>, choose your dithering method of choice and click okay, then copy from the GIMP and paste into ShapeFusion, that should work?

I'm sure there's a better way that doesn't involve using Photoshop, but I do my landscapes at 3072p so I use texture replacement.

ravenshining
Hawai'i

Post Jan 31st '18, 12:39

ravenshining wrote:GIMP is terrible at handling colour tables. If you're wanting to create a landscape that has a new colour table, I think it's probably easier to use a texture replacement MML plugin. But if you can work within the given colour table, if you export an image from shapesfusion, open it with the GIMP, open your new landscape in the GIMP in a new window, then go Image > Mode > Indexed, click Use Custom Pallete, then click the pallete icon and scroll up to "Pallete of <the other image file you have open>, choose your dithering method of choice and click okay, then copy from the GIMP and paste into ShapeFusion, that should work?

I'm sure there's a better way that doesn't involve using Photoshop, but I do my landscapes at 3072p so I use texture replacement.

It really is. I think I might move to a texture replacement plugin but I am not entirely sure how to do it. I wouldn't want to use the landscape colour palettes in Marathon because they wouldn't fit what I am going for. For hi-res, I have to use Aorta I think? Haven't used that one yet.

My methods so far have been to just take apart other scenarios and use that as reference but it has only got me so far. I sort of wish that there was a more comprehensive scenario creation tutorial rather than scraping by with pieces from various sources but it's not that bad.
"He looked at his hands, but the fire in his eyes made him blink."

WeirdoYYY
Mars

Return to Editors, Emulation, Etcetera