Adding weapon shapes

Questions about the content creation procedure go here, including using Forge, Anvil, or other editors, or operating emulators like Basilisk II.

Post Oct 21st '06, 19:17

Now, I already know to use Anvil to edit colors and stuff but how do I add the weapon outline? I'm thinking of replacing the shape of the magnum, AR, flamethrower, and shotgun, with something cooler looking along with editing the performance of the weapons stated above.
John Drake
The world's retirement home. (Florida)

Post Oct 22nd '06, 19:08

Ok well...

previous weapon = the one you are replacing

If you want to just make a brand new weapon in the place of any of them you've gotta have the bitmaps first. Simply paste the bitmaps on the bitmaps of that weapon on the previous bitmaps.

Once you've done that you go to sequences, and go to the previous weapon's sequences, like magnum_idle or stuff like that. YOu go to the sequence, then edit the keypoint, this is where the thing is anchored/whatever. Like for monsters it is where they touch the ground.

Dont put it directly on the center of the weapon if it is going to be pointed diagonally, like the [spnkr] . I think the keypoint is where the bullets come out.

Then make the next frames in the sequence by adding more in the [frames per view] box. Add the number of the bitmap you want each frame to be aswell. To make it a bit easier, dont add frames until you've done the keypoint. The new frames copy the last old frame's bitmap and keypoint.

Then comes the physics. You go to the weapon appearence and screw around with that. I dont know what oyu wnana make so... thats up to you. Just a note: if you want it to shoot underwater, make sure both the gun and the projectile penatrate liquid boundary, lest you have your grenades backfire underwater.

YOU CANNOT MAKE ANOTHER TWO HANDED GUN!!!! It is impossible if you arent a dev. Not even mml can make another two handed gun. I had to sacrifice the shotgun for the two handed alien weapon in shadow. DOnt argue with me, theres a long explanation. Dont replace a 2 handed gun with a 1 handed gun. Dont replace it wih a 2 trigger 1 handed gun. Thats just hard.

2 trigger 1 handed guns like the assult rifle can be put on any weapon, so long as you have ammo for both triggers.

There is a complicated mml stuff for guns with different styles of ammo. Like the hud requires both mml and shapes. I haven't looked at that stuff yet so I cant help you there. I suggest keep your assult rifle to 52 bullets and 7 grenades, and your flamethrower in canisters.

Shadowbreaker
Melbourne, Victoria

Post Oct 22nd '06, 20:27

Thank you.

Actually, what should I use to make the replacement bitmaps?
John Drake

Post Oct 22nd '06, 20:44

Well uh... most guns are best done with 3d models. Strata is one hell of a model app. But blender is more common. Im not an artist. But I recommend 3d to photoshop.

Shadowbreaker
Melbourne, Victoria

Post Oct 22nd '06, 20:48

Are any of those free?
John Drake

Post Oct 23rd '06, 02:47

Blender and Wings are. Strata isnt. If you want insight about weapons ask shong. Hes a modeller.

Shadowbreaker
Melbourne, Victoria

Post Oct 23rd '06, 11:52

Umm, I would suggets Photoshop. Yes, 3D may look cool, but it doesn't really fit in Marathon. And if you are just now beginning to use a 3D program, it will most likely not look very good for quite some time.
Mordekai

Post Oct 23rd '06, 13:50

The vacbobs were done in 3d.

Shadowbreaker
Melbourne, Victoria

Post Oct 23rd '06, 17:53

I think all the weapon sprites and monster sprites were done in a 3D modeler, modified in Photoshop and then ported into Marthon.
The Pf'hak - Read it.
Science technology jargon physics.

LegacyTyphoon

Post Oct 23rd '06, 18:30

me too
Last edited by Tybo on Oct 23rd '06, 18:31, edited 1 time in total.
MY DEVIANTART
(My devArt is outdated)
http://www.myspace.com/t__bo

Tybo
Vulcan

Post Oct 23rd '06, 19:10

Yes, Grayswandir is correct. But they are not just plain 3D models, they are photoshopped to make them look like sprites.
Mordekai

Return to Editors, Emulation, Etcetera