ShapeFusion icon

Questions about the content creation procedure go here, including using Forge, Anvil, or other editors, or operating emulators like Basilisk II.
treellama
Vidmaster

We've been working on a few improvements to ShapeFusion, with an eye toward uploading another private build soon. One thing I think it needs is a better icon.

Since we had so much success with the last icon thread, I thought I'd see what you guys can come up with. We're not trying to match Bungie icons with this one, so it's much more open ended. I do have a couple suggestions though.

Tito once expressed that what he wanted to try for the ShapeFusion icon, but hadn't had time to work on, was the Marathon symbol, but with a gear instead of the inner circle. There is a risk that such an icon will look too similar in the dock to the Marathon games themselves, so maybe using a different color like purple, red, or bronze; and/or using a stylistic approach to make the gear stand out, would be good. Or you could use a background plate like Weland. Or make the outer circle a gear instead, like Arne did in the other thread.

Here's a tip on how to draw gears with Inkscape: draw a star, then draw a concentric circle about a third as big as the star. Union this with the star, to remove the sharp inside points. Then draw another concentric circle about two thirds as big as the star. Intersect this with the star to remove the outside points. Gear!

Scalable icons are best, but 512x512 should be enough for anybody.
Last edited by treellama on Jan 16th '12, 15:23, edited 1 time in total.
Crater Creator
Vidmaster

When treellama mentioned using a gear as part of the icon, I remembered this icon Arne made earlier in the Aleph One icon thread. Perhaps reposting it here will help get people thinking creatively.

Not Invented Here
Born on Board

[attachment=5351:path5053.png]

[attachment=5352:path3781.png]
Attachments
path3781.png
path3781.png (163.7 KiB) Viewed 9225 times
path5053.png
path5053.png (289.74 KiB) Viewed 9225 times
Last edited by Not Invented Here on Jan 18th '12, 20:42, edited 1 time in total.
Hopper
Mjolnir Mark IV

[attachment=5353:sfgear2.png]
Attachments
sfgear2.png
sfgear2.png (89.18 KiB) Viewed 9225 times
Aleph One:  Download 1.2.1         Plugins:  Vasara  ·  more
L'howon
Vidmaster

Reminds me of Gnome/KDE. I like it. Might be better without the background gears though, they seem sort of out of place
I have been wading in a long river and my feet are wet.
Shadowbreaker
Vidmaster

Hey, I made one!

[attachment=5357:shapefusionlogo.png]
[attachment=5358:shapefus...ogosmall.png]

I think it fits with the Weland icon pretty well.

I have other ideas for what the icon could be too, I'll see if I can make them.
Attachments
shapefusionlogosmall.png
shapefusionlogosmall.png (11.1 KiB) Viewed 9225 times
shapefusionlogo.png
shapefusionlogo.png (160.55 KiB) Viewed 9226 times
Last edited by Shadowbreaker on Jan 22nd '12, 23:16, edited 1 time in total.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

Shadowbreaker wrote:Hey, I made one!

[attachment=5357:shapefusionlogo.png]
[attachment=5358:shapefus...ogosmall.png]

I think it fits with the Weland icon pretty well.

I have other ideas for what the icon could be too, I'll see if I can make them.
lighting looks really weird, I don't think the two light sources on the gear effect works at the small scale
brilliant
Mjolnir Mark IV

I really like Hopper's icon out of all the icons submitted so far.
"My advise: V" - g pack
goran
Vidmaster

I wondered why there were so many cog wheels when fusion is a chemical process, and more related to atoms and chemistry. Took a quick peek in googles image search and found something related to atoms that I liked. I basically copied it and added a 'thon touch to it. I don't know what you guys think, but I find the concept more appropriate than cog wheels.

Among those already suggested, I liked shadow breakers most. The reflections may be a bit off, but I like the colors and shape. Easy on the eye. Symmetric. The reflections can be fixed should the icon be chosen. Not a difficult job.
Attachments
FUSION.png
FUSION.png (34.49 KiB) Viewed 9225 times
Last edited by goran on Jan 23rd '12, 15:23, edited 1 time in total.
goran
Vidmaster

@ hoppers icon. Maybe make the purple circle underneath into a cog wheel as well? Here's a rough sketch of it.
Attachments
Untitled_2.png
Untitled_2.png (15.49 KiB) Viewed 9225 times
Last edited by goran on Jan 23rd '12, 14:43, edited 1 time in total.
treellama
Vidmaster

goran wrote:I wondered why there were so many cog wheels when fusion is a chemical process, and more related to atoms and chemistry. Took a quick peek in googles image search and found something related to atoms that I liked. I basically copied it and added a 'thon touch to it. I don't know what you guys think, but I find the concept more appropriate than cog wheels.
Fusion has numerous meanings in different contexts of course. The ShapeFusion that ran on classic Mac OS actually used a plasma pistol as its icon!

I really like your take on nuclear fusion, though! Interesting choice of lithium since that's one rare type of fusion product we have hopes of attaining here on earth; rather than helium-4 which is so common in the universe.
Last edited by treellama on Jan 23rd '12, 15:50, edited 1 time in total.
goran
Vidmaster

Treellama wrote:Fusion has numerous meanings in different contexts of course. The ShapeFusion that ran on classic Mac OS actually used a plasma pistol as its icon!

I really like your take on nuclear fusion, though! Interesting choice of lithium since that's one rare type of fusion product we have hopes of attaining here on earth; rather than helium-4 which is so common in the universe.
Lol, a coincidence then. It didn't base it on lithium. Drew something I thought looked good.
Last edited by goran on Jan 23rd '12, 20:59, edited 1 time in total.
Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

You guys should just change the name to ShapeCogs instead.
ukimalefu
Mjolnir Mark IV

goran wrote:I wondered why there were so many cog wheels when fusion is a chemical process, and more related to atoms and chemistry. Took a quick peek in googles image search and found something related to atoms that I liked. I basically copied it and added a 'thon touch to it. I don't know what you guys think, but I find the concept more appropriate than cog wheels.

Among those already suggested, I liked shadow breakers most. The reflections may be a bit off, but I like the colors and shape. Easy on the eye. Symmetric. The reflections can be fixed should the icon be chosen. Not a difficult job.
I like that one! [MUp]
Zott
Vidmaster

I like the design of Shadowbreaker's except for the lighting on the outer cog.

Goran's electron cloud is also quite clean, but I would prefer those path lines to be a darker shade. Especially when it is downsized.
Last edited by Zott on Jan 24th '12, 21:47, edited 1 time in total.
Video Gamer Blog (With some articles by me!)

Look at Him Go, Weeee
Crater Creator
Vidmaster

I suggest incorporating the number seven: seven teeth on the gear, seven orbitals around the nucleus, or what have you.

I had an idea where the background would be a solid circle, and a combination wrench would lie on top of it, pointing down, so as to combine to make a facsimile of the Marathon logo. It's not panning out for me in Photoshop on account of the proportions not working out right.
Hopper
Mjolnir Mark IV

Crater, maybe you could have the wrench turning a nut on something circular, and the combination could form the overlay. I didn't bother finding appropriate clip art for it, but here's a mockup of the general idea:

[attachment=5364:test1.png]
Attachments
test1.png
test1.png (26.06 KiB) Viewed 9225 times
Aleph One:  Download 1.2.1         Plugins:  Vasara  ·  more
Shadowbreaker
Vidmaster

Zott wrote:I like the design of Shadowbreaker's except for the lighting on the outer cog.
The idea I had when making shiny stuff was that making sense wasn't that important. I guess I was wrong [MTongue] . I made an attempt at correcting some of the light (in the first one), and then I tried making one with just photoshop lighting (bevel and gradients) to make it have more simple shinyness.

[attachment=5371:shapeytwo.png] [attachment=5372:shapeyfour.png]

[attachment=5367:shapeytwosmall.png] [attachment=5370:shapeyfoursmall.png]
Zott wrote:Goran's electron cloud is also quite clean, but I would prefer those path lines to be a darker shade. Especially when it is downsized.
I like it too! My only problem with it is that it looks kinda simple and lacking in depth... maybe more might mess it up though. I also think the electrons should be the same size.
Attachments
shapeyfour.png
shapeyfour.png (23.23 KiB) Viewed 9225 times
shapeytwo.png
shapeytwo.png (24.03 KiB) Viewed 9225 times
shapeyfoursmall.png
shapeyfoursmall.png (10.78 KiB) Viewed 9225 times
shapeytwosmall.png
shapeytwosmall.png (10.92 KiB) Viewed 9225 times
Last edited by Shadowbreaker on Jan 24th '12, 23:32, edited 1 time in total.
treellama
Vidmaster

Hopper wrote:something circular
[attachment=5373:lollipopone.png]
Attachments
lollipopone.png
lollipopone.png (46.66 KiB) Viewed 9225 times
goran
Vidmaster

marathon engineering
Attachments
bolts.png
bolts.png (74.61 KiB) Viewed 9225 times
Last edited by goran on Jan 28th '12, 16:31, edited 1 time in total.
JohannesG
Mjolnir Mark IV

goran wrote:marathon engineering
<3
goran
Vidmaster

version 2
Attachments
fusion2.png
fusion2.png (152.46 KiB) Viewed 9225 times
logo.png
logo.png (134.9 KiB) Viewed 9225 times
Last edited by goran on Jan 28th '12, 17:02, edited 1 time in total.
goran
Vidmaster

cog purple
Attachments
PURPLE.png
PURPLE.png (120.86 KiB) Viewed 9225 times
treellama
Vidmaster

I like these both.

Edit: actually, all three recent ones. Dang!
Last edited by treellama on Jan 28th '12, 03:56, edited 1 time in total.
Crater Creator
Vidmaster

Metal shaders are hard. I'm trying to get a shape that plausibly wouldn't seem out of place for a screw or bolt head, but where the Marathon logo is still apparent. For whatever reason, I went with a realistic 3D render, somewhat like Goran's bolt image, rather than the stylized vector art that's more common.
[attachment=5385:SF_icon_1.png]
Attachments
SF_icon_1.png
SF_icon_1.png (82.3 KiB) Viewed 9225 times
Last edited by Crater Creator on Jan 28th '12, 09:51, edited 1 time in total.