ShapeFusion icon

Questions about the content creation procedure go here, including using Forge, Anvil, or other editors, or operating emulators like Basilisk II.

Post Jan 28th '12, 10:22

Treellama wrote:There is a risk that such an icon will look too similar in the dock to the Marathon games themselves, so maybe using a different color like purple, red, or bronze; and/or using a stylistic approach to make the gear stand out, would be good.

Red is already used for the Aorta icon. I am really liking the purple.

Goran: Your purple icon is very nice! I like that the Marathon icon definitely stands out more and doesn't blend in with the cog. Perhaps it is the lighting that helps too. The only thing I don't like about it is that it is a little slanted. Would it look good if the cog and the inside of the Marathon logo were a shiny gray? I do like the fusion version 2 also!
"My advise: V" - g pack

brilliant

Post Jan 28th '12, 12:00

engineering version 2.
Attachments
term2.png
term2.png (83.26 KiB) Viewed 3432 times
Last edited by goran on Jan 28th '12, 13:05, edited 1 time in total.

goran

Post Jan 28th '12, 14:21

I don't know about using the hazard stripes, they seem to play weird visually in the gaps in the middle of the Marathon logo.

Liking your most recent one Crater Creator. Looks more like brushed concrete than metal though -- dunno if that's intentional.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Jan 28th '12, 17:10

RyokoTK wrote:I don't know about using the hazard stripes, they seem to play weird visually in the gaps in the middle of the Marathon logo.

I like the one on the top. The red light is neat.
"Escape will make me God"

zero
Tau Ceti or bust!

Post Jan 28th '12, 18:45

brilliant wrote:Goran: Your purple icon is very nice! I like that the Marathon icon definitely stands out more and doesn't blend in with the cog. Perhaps it is the lighting that helps too. The only thing I don't like about it is that it is a little slanted. Would it look good if the cog and the inside of the Marathon logo were a shiny gray? I do like the fusion version 2 also!

I rather liked it too. I think the fact that it's slanted is supposed to give the impression that the cog is in motion, like, you know, cogs do. I thought it was kinda cool. Also, M1 violet. [MUp]

goran wrote:version 2

I have to be honest, I don't like any of those color variations aside from the big one there.
Love Marathon, and also play Doom on modern source ports? You might like these skins!

President People

Post Jan 29th '12, 08:01

goran wrote:engineering version 2.

I like the direction you're going with these. The hexagon background makes it easily distinguishable from other Marathon-related icons, while at the same time there's no mistaking what game this program is for. I like the hazard stripes, but then again I just think yellow and black hazard stripes look cool in general. I don't like the gray and red one though - those colors seem to clash.
I'll make another push for using the number 7 though - try a heptagon? [MGrin]

I also like some of your earlier experiments with different colors and tilting the icon.

Crater Creator

Post Jan 29th '12, 10:12

Crater Creator wrote:I like the direction you're going with these. The hexagon background makes it easily distinguishable from other Marathon-related icons, while at the same time there's no mistaking what game this program is for. I like the hazard stripes, but then again I just think yellow and black hazard stripes look cool in general. I don't like the gray and red one though - those colors seem to clash.
I'll make another push for using the number 7 though - try a heptagon? [MGrin]

I also like some of your earlier experiments with different colors and tilting the icon.

A secret, there are some of my icons I would not use myself! :) For what it is worth, I agree with you about the red one.
Good luck with the heptagon!

Here is purple version 2. Three different tilts and hues. Small variations on cog wheels. The shading on the last one unfortunately melts together with the background here on the forums.
Attachments
cog2.png
cog2.png (99.61 KiB) Viewed 3432 times
Last edited by goran on Jan 29th '12, 11:11, edited 1 time in total.

goran

Post Jan 31st '12, 04:24

I'm with Crater in support of the hazard stripe set, but I don't feel that tilting is the way to go with it. That whole 'tilted icon' theme in OS X is headed out the door anyways, and a straight on icon just presents a much cleaner and universal application across all systems. Unless there's some specific element of the icon that would logically warrant being not aligned to the vertical axis... eh.
I have been wading in a long river and my feet are wet.

L'howon
Somewhere outside the Citadel Of Antiquity

Post Jan 31st '12, 07:07

I could go for Goran's last purple tilt with the shading on that. However, the tilt for the Icon is just too much. Straight and tidy that's how I like my Icons. So perhaps that one aligned vertical would be fitting.

I'm not a fan of any of the hazard stripes.

If we go with the atom design, perhaps we should play homage to the colors of the original 3 icons with the Blue, Yellow, and Silver, signifying the unity of the tool for the games. Besides that one, the first left hand side atom in that newer set is the best looking for Icon shading and color.
Video Gamer Blog (With some articles by me!)

Look at Him Go, Weeee

Zott
Earth

Post Jan 31st '12, 13:33

I like a slight tilt. It implies that you can actually turn the bolt or nut or whatever the hexagon is supposed to represent. My favorite purple hue is the top one in purple version 2, but my favorite cog is the bottom one. But that's just me.

I also like the idea of an atom with original trilogy colors! I hope Tito gets a chance to visit, because this is going to be a tough decision.
Last edited by treellama on Jan 31st '12, 13:44, edited 1 time in total.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Jan 31st '12, 14:08

I agree that the tilting makes it look more like something functional. It's not just stupid and cosmetic, since cogs do turn.

That said, I think a slight tilt is better. I liked the very minimal tilt in your first cog icon (version 1), and the hue/circle size from the first version 2 cog.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Jan 31st '12, 14:23

RyokoTK wrote:That said, I think a slight tilt is better.

Yeah if you go too far it turns into the Bungie mobile app search icon :D

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Feb 13th '12, 03:52

Goran, can you post a 512x512 PNG of your preferred icon? (Or ICNS/ICO)

You easily win this thread :)
Last edited by treellama on Feb 13th '12, 03:52, edited 1 time in total.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Feb 15th '12, 10:10

At what date do you need the icon?

goran

Post Feb 15th '12, 13:46

goran wrote:At what date do you need the icon?

Can you have something by this Sunday?

ShapeFusion 0.6 is ready but for a new icon.

If you can't, we'll wait!

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Feb 19th '12, 15:42

I did some tests today, and the one like the most was not strong at lower resolutions. So I redid it. I think blue work as color. Let me know if this one is to your liking (I have it at 2096x2096). I can also rework the cogwheel.
Attachments
icon.png
icon.png (49.49 KiB) Viewed 3432 times
Last edited by goran on Feb 19th '12, 15:42, edited 1 time in total.

goran

Post Feb 19th '12, 16:06

Here it is.
Attachments
newfusion.png
newfusion.png (285.78 KiB) Viewed 3440 times

goran

Post Feb 20th '12, 01:23

goran wrote:Here it is.

that is quite wonderful...
â?¢musicâ?¢sfxâ?¢texturesâ?¢bullsh*t

jessenator