Explosion Force?

Questions about the content creation procedure go here, including using Forge, Anvil, or other editors, or operating emulators like Basilisk II.

Post Jan 15th '07, 19:00

This may sound stupid for an anviller to ask, but I am curious as to how exactly you can determine how much a monster is knocked back upon being hit with a grenade or so.

And also, is it possible to have a negetive value for this?

Shadowbreaker
Melbourne, Victoria

Post Jan 15th '07, 19:01

The velocity of the attack and the setting of the attack (fist, projectile, explosive, etc...) affects the velocity of the monsters knockback....so like an explosive set to 1024...would either make the monster hang on a wall for a while, knock it through the wall, or just go straight through.
Do you mean so the monster gets flung towards you like a vacuum or an attack that fires out of the Marine's asshole?
Last edited by LegacyTyphoon on Jan 15th '07, 19:02, edited 1 time in total.
The Pf'hak - Read it.
Science technology jargon physics.

LegacyTyphoon

Post Jan 15th '07, 19:04

The velocity of the attack affects the velocity of the monsters knockback

That's completely wrong. It has to do with the damage type and the amount of damage dealt. For instance, some damage types don't cause much knockback at all, whereas others will send you flying. Off the top of my head:
-Explosion
-Electrical/Pfhor Staff
-Spht Bolt
-Claw (or whatever Flickta slaps are)

These all have noticeable knockback. Other types really don't. Additionally, the percentage of damage dealt has to do with knockback. For instance, if Monster A has 120 health and Monster B has 1200 health, a Compiler Bolt doing 100 damage will send Monster A flying, but it will only slightly nudge Monster B.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Jan 15th '07, 20:12

RyokoTK wrote:That's completely wrong. It has to do with the damage type and the amount of damage dealt. For instance, some damage types don't cause much knockback at all, whereas others will send you flying.

Oh...oops. Then, I've been trying to edit my physics files completely wrong. [MGrin] (not sarcasm)
Last edited by LegacyTyphoon on Jan 15th '07, 20:29, edited 1 time in total.
The Pf'hak - Read it.

LegacyTyphoon

Post Jan 15th '07, 20:35

It has to do with the...amount of damage dealt

That's completely wrong. What you need to do is adjust the player's/monster's external velocity scale in the physical constants part of the physics. Put a zero in there and the monster/player will not move no matter what kind of explosives/hydrogen bomb is about to explode right next to it ( e.g. Juggernaut's behaviour ). Anything above zero will increase the knockback and Bobs have a value of 1.
Last edited by Bobwithkeycard on Jan 15th '07, 20:39, edited 1 time in total.
I bring my own plasma rifle to the house of pain

Bobwithkeycard
AMS-Tower

Post Jan 15th '07, 21:00

Well, the more you know, I guess. I never knew that about external velocity. But the damage type still matters as to the degree of knockback, right?

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Jan 15th '07, 21:02

I wonder if you can edit how much the marine is affected?
The Pf'hak - Read it.

LegacyTyphoon

Post Jan 15th '07, 21:07

I think its a blend of what Bobwithkeycard said and Ryoko said.

For example, I set a fist to thousands of damage and A monster was hit and flew back for about two minutes against the wall.

However, if the external velocity scale is 0 then the monster won't fly back, even if lots of damage.
Video Gamer Blog (With some articles by me!)

Look at Him Go, Weeee

Zott
Earth

Post Jan 15th '07, 21:29

Zott wrote:For example, I set a fist to thousands of damage and A monster was hit and flew back for about two minutes against the wall.

However, if the external velocity scale is 0 then the monster won't fly back, even if lots of damage.

You are right, Zott...quite the fun for a short while to run around being equipped with death fists. This is due to the damage kick element being a multiplier to the damage the weapon's shot is inflicting. This can be edited in the damage kicks MML element.
It was argued that the monster's health has an affect in this, though. Which would mean that giving a Fighter 10,000 health would make it visibly immune to damage kickbacks inflicted by rockets.

I wonder if you can edit how much the marine is affected?

yes, you can do it by editing the marine's settings on top of the monster list in anvil
Last edited by Bobwithkeycard on Jan 15th '07, 21:32, edited 1 time in total.

Bobwithkeycard
AMS-Tower

Post Jan 15th '07, 21:33

It was argued that the monster's health has an affect in this, though. Which would mean that giving a Fighter 10,000 health would make it visibly immune to damage kickbacks inflicted by standard rockets.

I argued this before I knew of external velocity, because MOAHs are knocked back less than regular Hunters by a rocket shot, and the only explanation I could give was that they had more health.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Jan 15th '07, 21:49

You're all right, and wrong. It depends on four things: the type of damage, the amount of damage, the type of monster, and whether it died.

There's a base amount of external velocity for each type of damage, which is added to the amount of damage taken times the external velocity multiplier for that damage type. If the monster died, there is a minimum amount of external velocity that the engine then makes sure is applied. Finally, that external velocity is multiplied by the external velocity multiplier of the monster, and accelerated that much. Some damage types have a vertical flag, which causes the monster to be accelerated vertically too (explosions, pfhor staff, compiler bolt, yeti claws, and shotgun projectiles).

There is a damage-kicks element in MML to set the stuff you are not able to edit in Anvil. You can make things negative.

Edit: "the amount of damage" is affected by immunities and weaknesses, as well as difficulty level, but *not* by the monster's health
Last edited by treellama on Jan 15th '07, 21:55, edited 1 time in total.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Jan 15th '07, 22:38

I liked how everyone got owned, one after another in this thread. Got me a good laugh.

goran

Post Jan 15th '07, 22:46

I don't see how I have been contradicted here...but that's just the ego speakin' heh, heh [MGrin]

Also great to have the developer's insight in this matter :)

Bobwithkeycard
AMS-Tower

Post Jan 16th '07, 01:34

Hmm I also remember reading something that the Marathon Engine will add up all the velocities if you keep shooting it in midair and then only applies the direction of the last shot to the Monster.

What I mean is, You shoot the Ultra-power Pfhor with the explosion rocket.

It flies vertically and backwards.

Then you shoot it with the rocket from the back (don't ask me how)

And it flies twice as far forward.

Is there any truth to that or is it just my mind playing tricks on me?
Video Gamer Blog (With some articles by me!)

Look at Him Go, Weeee

Zott
Earth

Post Jan 16th '07, 02:02

I had a situation like that a long time ago..it was one of the golden moment I remember: had a match going on in Fugee Camp with like 5-6 players and I was battling it out with this one dude close to the center of the map. He was pumping AR Bullets and grenades at me and I fired this one rocket at his feet that I thought should take care of him *boom*..he flew away, but in one piece, cause alas, he had double energy. For some reason he flew with the speed of a turtle though ( with his movements having not much effect ), staring at me while I'm being angry about the lost score. So he is on his journey through the space, only to get caught mid-air and turned into a bloody corpse by a loose rocket from somebody else, heh.

Was never able to reproduce it in the film, though, as it was during a time when films were broken when suicide penalty was turned on ( it went OOS as soon as someone sucided and hit the action key before the 15 second penalty was over ).
Film's gone now as well, so can't reproduce your theory, zott ;) But I'm sure Treellama will know about the inner mechanics about this one :D

Bobwithkeycard
AMS-Tower

Post Jan 16th '07, 02:28

Treellama wrote:You're all right, and wrong. It depends on four things: the type of damage, the amount of damage, the type of monster, and whether it died.

There's a base amount of external velocity for each type of damage, which is added to the amount of damage taken times the external velocity multiplier for that damage type. If the monster died, there is a minimum amount of external velocity that the engine then makes sure is applied. Finally, that external velocity is multiplied by the external velocity multiplier of the monster, and accelerated that much. Some damage types have a vertical flag, which causes the monster to be accelerated vertically too (explosions, pfhor staff, compiler bolt, yeti claws, and shotgun projectiles).

There is a damage-kicks element in MML to set the stuff you are not able to edit in Anvil. You can make things negative.

Edit: "the amount of damage" is affected by immunities and weaknesses, as well as difficulty level, but *not* by the monster's health

My brain hurts.

Ok instead of worrying about like... all of that Ill just figure something out with the damage kicks element... To save testing time how is the damage kicks element incramented? Like what value would you need to push a monster with 150 hp back 1 wu with 150 damage dealt?
Last edited by Shadowbreaker on Jan 16th '07, 02:30, edited 1 time in total.

Shadowbreaker
Melbourne, Victoria

Return to Editors, Emulation, Etcetera