Rom image and Suffit expander

Questions about the content creation procedure go here, including using Forge, Anvil, or other editors, or operating emulators like Basilisk II.

Post Mar 23rd '07, 04:50

Ok so i installed the emulator but i don't know what a rom image is. The only reason i have need for a mac emulaotr is to run forge so if the file i got from forge being the application would that be the rom image? Also i got stuffit exapnder but when i try to open files it doesn't do anything...
The world is filled with bastard covered bastards with bastard fillings.

THE CAKE IS A LIE!

|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||
|...BEER TRUCK..........| ||'|";, ___.
|_..._..._______===|=||_|__|......, ] -
"(@)'(@)"""**|(@)(@)*** **''(@)

I'MMA FIRIN' MAH LAZAR
Darkwrath
Wasilla, Alaska

Post Mar 23rd '07, 05:19

well... call me crazy, but it would be nice to know what kind of emulator you have... that runs roms?
shongshong.vze.com (main site)
[Flickr page] (subdivision of renderings)
Marathon Squadron

shongshong
right here

Post Mar 23rd '07, 05:28

well... call me crazy, but it would be nice to know what kind of emulator you have... that runs roms?

Well, Basilisk II runs this Performa 630 ROM that I'm using, that's probably it.
Last edited by RyokoTK on Mar 23rd '07, 05:28, edited 1 time in total.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Mar 23rd '07, 05:38

He's using Batillisk II since that's what he mentioned in the other thread.

Okay, let me try and make this clear. Forge does not come with a Macintosh Rom Image. Unstuffing the Forge sit won't do much for you since it is a Macintosh Application.

A Macintosh Rom is the instruction set built into Macs that tells it how to work on startup of the computer, and certain basic instructions and graphs drawing.

A PC correspondent would be the Bios of the Motherboard.

You Need an "Image" of this startup Rom that Macs have.

Normally you'd download a program that could rip the ROM from your own mac, but since I'm gathering you own no Macs, you'll have to find one online.

While I can't post links to them since Mac Roms are illegal to distribute (They are owned by Apple), you'll have to search around. Trust me there are places online where you can get them.

Your best bet would be to search under terms such as "Performa 9500 Rom", "Quadra Rom" or "iMac Rom" and perhaps even "1 meg Mac Rom" (Havn't tested any of these, just what "I" would use.)

Be weary of fake sites and advertising trash. Eventually your'll find what your looking for.

Once you have the Rom image, you'll need to select it's location under the Memory Tab of Batilisk GUI.

Do read this helpful information... [MErr]
Video Gamer Blog (With some articles by me!)

Look at Him Go, Weeee

Zott
Earth

Post Mar 23rd '07, 22:59

Ok and what about Stuffit Expander? (i'm typing this from my nintendo Wii, thats so sweet!) [spnkr]

THE CAKE IS A LIE!

|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||

I'MMA FIRIN' MAH LAZAR
Darkwrath
Wasilla, Alaska

Post Mar 24th '07, 11:36

dont worry about stuffit until you have your rom and classic running.

screamingfool

Post Mar 24th '07, 17:31

Getting stuffit on the emulator initially might prove difficult.

The Starter Image on this website has Stuffit 5.5 on it, it should prove useful to you.

http://www.alkemic.com/music/travis/Mac%20...acEmulator.html

(Along with other things....)

Look at Him Go, Weeee

Zott
Earth

Post Mar 25th '07, 07:44

My god can you read? I said that it won't open anything, no idea where you got the idea that i needed to get on to the emulator. If it doesn't work at all it won't work on the emulator now will it? [MErr]

THE CAKE IS A LIE!

|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||

I'MMA FIRIN' MAH LAZAR
Darkwrath
Wasilla, Alaska

Post Mar 25th '07, 08:39

you know what jc? if you cant be clear with the HELP you're REQUESTING you dont get good help. Zott is being very patient with you so stfu.

screamingfool

Post Mar 25th '07, 12:09

-JC- wrote:My god can you read? I said that it won't open anything, no idea where you got the idea that i needed to get on to the emulator. If it doesn't work at all it won't work on the emulator now will it? [MErr]

you know what jc? if you cant be clear with the HELP you're REQUESTING you dont get good help. Zott is being very patient with you so stfu.

And the people said "AMEN!". They're trying to help you, and how do you react? By being an asshole? That doesn't really make sense. This place isn't for all your minor idiotic questions either. Use freaking Google dude.
Last edited by Bourne on Mar 25th '07, 12:10, edited 1 time in total.
Bourne

Post Mar 26th '07, 04:38

The HELP i'm REQUESTING is the answer to this question: Why won't Stuffit Expander work? How clear does it need to be? Thats all i'm asking. BTW google never helps thats why i come here...or usually i come here because most of you probebly know the answers to my questions so instead spending time looking for the answers can't i just post it here and wait for an answer? isn't that what forums are for? I'm not trying to be a dickhead but truthfully i hate repeating myself and i probebly wouldn't act like this if it wasn't for other forums that act like this... sorry anyway. [MFrown]

THE CAKE IS A LIE!

|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||

I'MMA FIRIN' MAH LAZAR
Darkwrath
Wasilla, Alaska

Post Mar 26th '07, 05:49

Well...you could be more specific...
Like what version of Basiisk II you're using, how much of it is installed, what processor you're using, how much memory you have, what operating system, did you actually INSTALL Stuffit? Or did you just download it, etc...
Last edited by LegacyTyphoon on Mar 26th '07, 05:50, edited 1 time in total.
The Pf'hak - Read it.
Science technology jargon physics.

LegacyTyphoon

Post Mar 27th '07, 06:55

I think what we have here is miscommunication.

He put together one paragraph that contained information about 1) an emulator 2) Forge and 3) stuffit expander

We automatically assumed that he was having trouble with all three, however I think the problem only lies in the very last sentance.
Also i got stuffit exapnder but when i try to open files it doesn't do anything...
and
Why won't Stuffit Expander work?

In the future you may want to separate paragraphs for better understanding.

So, if your having trouble with Stuffit expander (Which I'm guessing is on a windows box).

First, uninstall Stuffit. Use the Add-Remove Programs under the Control Panel.
Start-> Control Panel -> Add-Remove Programs
Redownload the lates version from http://www.stuffit.com/

Work or not?
You may want to open a .SIT file or .Zip file BESIDES Forge, or whatever you are trying to open before.

If that fails.
Uninstall through Add-Remove Programs like before,
But download and run this program,
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Security/Secu...p-Utility.shtml

And be sure to uninstall any instances of Stuffit that appear in the list.
Reinstall.

If all that fails. Completely uninstall again, and revert to an older version here:http://www.oldversion.com/program.php?n=sit
Till you find one that works.

Lastly
If it doesn't work at all it won't work on the emulator now will it?

Quite the contrary, if you got your emulator to work, then you could just run stuffit through that and unstuff whatever you want through your emulator and send it back to your main comp, or vice versa.

(Someone I bet my career path will drift toward Customer support somehow...<But I better get paid good for it...>)
Last edited by Zott on Mar 27th '07, 06:58, edited 1 time in total.

Look at Him Go, Weeee

Zott
Earth

Post Mar 27th '07, 23:15

Zott wrote:Someone I bet my career path will drift toward Customer support somehow...<But I better get paid good for it...
I can just imagine you working for microsoft and having a nice office and then theres a huge line of people waiting to get computer help, lol
Last edited by Darkwrath on Mar 27th '07, 23:18, edited 1 time in total.

THE CAKE IS A LIE!

|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||

I'MMA FIRIN' MAH LAZAR
Darkwrath
Wasilla, Alaska

Post Apr 9th '07, 18:02

k since this is about basilisk II ill make a question: the programs boots nicely i see the hard drive etc. i open Forge's folder and proceed to open the program an alert says the shapes file must be in the same folder so i take forge and copy it into marathon infinity's folder. qhen i try to open it the image of the icon goe kinda bluryy( correct word?) and it does not open. help? what should i do?
Last edited by slypher on Apr 9th '07, 18:04, edited 1 time in total.
teh shark blaster

slypher

Post Apr 9th '07, 18:10

seems i got it working, never mind :)

EDIT: how can i install stuff in the emulator?? this brings back memories... my old performa ;_;
Last edited by slypher on Apr 9th '07, 18:13, edited 1 time in total.
teh shark blaster

slypher

Post Apr 9th '07, 23:29

OS?

1st Option:
If you open Batilisk II GUI, there should be an option on the "Volumes" tab, that says something about using "My Computer" as a Hard Disk. You could then transfer files to your main computer to the emulator that way.

2nd Option:
There is a folder in Batilisk II that says Virtual Desktop. Open This, Then open Desktop Folder. Whatever you throw in there will appear on your Emulator's desktop when you start it up.

3rd Option:
Transfer things via the internet.

Look at Him Go, Weeee

Zott
Earth

Post Apr 10th '07, 03:54

i made it but when i want to execute the program it says it cannot read it. it cant even read text files! help
teh shark blaster

slypher

Return to Editors, Emulation, Etcetera