Old Editors

Questions about the content creation procedure go here, including using Forge, Anvil, or other editors, or operating emulators like Basilisk II.

Old Editors

Post Mar 6th '13, 17:46

I used to make scenarios/quasi tc's during the OS9/Classic Mac days. Nothing notable. I never released anything. Just made them for fun with a couple friends. I'm interested in maybe doing this again but I would prefer to use the older editors of this time. (Forge, Anvil, Chisel, Hex, ResEdit, etc) I'm more familiar with them and I find them simpler. Would it be possible for me to make something under Sheepshaver and then somehow convert it over to Aleph One? What would I have to do to make it compatible?

I'm open to using new editors but they seem very complicated and I especially like to use Forge for mapping. Is there a definitive guide on how to do all the things I used to be able to do on modern computers? It sounds ambitious but like I said, it's really just for some simple fun. If it turns out well, I may flesh it out and release it someday but that's in the air.
"He looked at his hands, but the fire in his eyes made him blink."

WeirdoYYY
Mars

Post Mar 6th '13, 18:22

You can convert merged Map and Images files to work with Windows/Linux by splitting them with Atque and re-merging. Otherwise, all the old tools should work fine.

Weland is designed to be a clone of Forge. I find ShapeFusion's interface more intuitive than Anvil's. Atque is just drag and drop. Have you actually tried them?

The only weird one is Visual Mode.lua, which takes some getting used to. Not a terrible price to pay for progress.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Mar 6th '13, 19:12

I don't mind Weland but I just find it weird to jump between two programs for visual mode. I also like on Forge that you can use caps lock in visual mode to roughly judge the heights of polygons. In Weland I'm just guesstimating which kind of kills me on time.

As for Shape Fusion, it looks rather easy. I think I could get used to that. Atque I have no clue what it is or how to use it.

I think just for my sake, I would make the shapes, maps, etc in Sheepshaver and then use whatever to flesh it out for Aleph One. My project won't need any hi res work done to it. Going to be rather grainy and I may use some old textures from archives anyways.

So say I make my shapes, sounds, physics in Anvil and my maps in Forge (using Hex or whatever for terminals) then convert it all for Aleph One's use. How do I edit the Aleph One program to use my own menu screens and music? Also, last time I tried to do all this, Aleph One recognized my maps, shapes, sounds, and physics but the weapons still appeared as the normal Infinity ones. Not sure if the recent changes to Aleph One will affect that.

WeirdoYYY
Mars

Post Mar 6th '13, 20:49

WeirdoYYY wrote:Also, last time I tried to do all this, Aleph One recognized my maps, shapes, sounds, and physics but the weapons still appeared as the normal Infinity ones. Not sure if the recent changes to Aleph One will affect that.

Did you have a high-res weapons plugin installed? That will override your shapes file.

If you are doing a TC, then make a separate folder with the new shapes, sounds, map, images, etc. in it. Also, add a Scenario.mml to your Scripts folder to make a separate preferences file and keep players of other scenarios from joining your co-op games:

Code: Select all
<marathon>
<stringset index="129">
<string index="4">MY AWESOME SCENARIO Preferences</string>
</stringset>

<scenario name="MY AWESOME SCENARIO" version="1.0" id="MY AWESOME SCENARIO"/>

</marathon>

Have a look at any of the ready-to-play scenarios for more examples, and also read the MML guide:
http://marathon.svn.sourceforge.net/vie ... s/MML.html

Of course, you don't have to do any of that. Everything still works like Marathon 2 if you want it to, just pick the right files in Environment prefs and disable incompatible plugins.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Mar 7th '13, 22:24

treellama wrote:
WeirdoYYY wrote:Also, last time I tried to do all this, Aleph One recognized my maps, shapes, sounds, and physics but the weapons still appeared as the normal Infinity ones. Not sure if the recent changes to Aleph One will affect that.

Did you have a high-res weapons plugin installed? That will override your shapes file.

If you are doing a TC, then make a separate folder with the new shapes, sounds, map, images, etc. in it. Also, add a Scenario.mml to your Scripts folder to make a separate preferences file and keep players of other scenarios from joining your co-op games:

Code: Select all
<marathon>
<stringset index="129">
<string index="4">MY AWESOME SCENARIO Preferences</string>
</stringset>

<scenario name="MY AWESOME SCENARIO" version="1.0" id="MY AWESOME SCENARIO"/>

</marathon>

Have a look at any of the ready-to-play scenarios for more examples, and also read the MML guide:
http://marathon.svn.sourceforge.net/vie ... s/MML.html

Of course, you don't have to do any of that. Everything still works like Marathon 2 if you want it to, just pick the right files in Environment prefs and disable incompatible plugins.

Awesome. I will post more questions when I get to those stages I guess. Thanks a bunch.

WeirdoYYY
Mars

Return to Editors, Emulation, Etcetera