ShapeFusion Image Errors; 8-bit Chunking

Questions about the content creation procedure go here, including using Forge, Anvil, or other editors, or operating emulators like Basilisk II.

ShapeFusion Image Errors; 8-bit Chunking

Post Jun 26th '13, 17:05

I have been working with ShapeFusion for the past couple of months, loading 500x500 pixel bmp images into the collections; flat sRGB with bmp 16bit Windows presets. Everything has been running fluid with no errors and the new 500 square pixel images over the old 100 pixel image looks amazing in game. I recently had an error:

[Shapes Collection] Unknown collection version 10284
with details:
[ShapesChunk] Unknown collection version 10284
[ShapesCollection] Error loading 8-bit chunk...Dropping.

It does not seem to be specific to corrupted images but to the size as 100 pixel images fix the situation.

As it has repeated at a certain point of loading images and can be isolated to two collections of recent; I can correct by putting in old lighter images up to a point. It seems like I am overloading the collections as to troubleshooting one collection or the other. I had almost completed filling up all the collections.

How much can the collection take and am I using way to big imagery?

Outside of that, AlephOne is a miracle over the old engines in the size of the maps and in the resolution, and runs beyond anything I would have expected! After getting used to the new editors, I don't miss Anvil or Forge anymore. THANKS!!!!!!!!!!
glue

Post Jun 26th '13, 17:37

The offsets in shapes files are 32 bit integers, so you shouldn't be running into a size problem there. I think you may have found a bug. Unless your shapes file is bigger than 2 GB :)

That said, I recommend using standard sized images in the Shapes file, and putting your hi-res images in the game using MML. Aleph One can load BMPs directly, and you'll get 16-bit color. For even better performance, you can use compressed DDS textures.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Jun 27th '13, 22:21

The modified shapes file is 35mb. I will look into what is the standard size from previous data files; probably in the 150 pixel size (and less) but maybe I can get away with 250 x 250 pixels as everything ran smooth with the 500 x 500 pixel sizes. The notice only comes up in ShapeFusion and does not effect the Aleph One game play.

I did not bother to index color which activates the 8bit option for the BMP; this could be the problem as indexing in Debabelizer and creating custom color tables used to be mandatory.

"The offsets in shapes files are 32 bit integers" seems to mean that shapes can take up to 32 bit: I have to research as True Color category seems to be 16bit and regular shapes at 8 bit, unless a bit integer is another factor.

MML with DDS compression looks like the way to go as with plugins I have been activating. It seems like no ShapeFusion interface with this option and everything is scripted. I have to find out how to activate Alien True Color collections. Thanks!!!!
glue

Post Jun 28th '13, 19:12

Textures will be most efficient when their dimensions are an even power of two (exactly 128x128, 256x256, 512x512, etc.)

Crater Creator

Post Jun 28th '13, 20:12

glue wrote:"The offsets in shapes files are 32 bit integers" seems to mean that shapes can take up to 32 bit: I have to research as True Color category seems to be 16bit and regular shapes at 8 bit, unless a bit integer is another factor.

Offsets in this case meaning position in the file, not bit depth of images. The actual bit depth in the shapes file is only 8-bit for all images; the so-called "true color" shapes are just 8-bit with a custom palette. And, just like in Anvil, these "true color" collections only work for landscapes and weapons in hand.

The quality you will get from external replacement textures will be vastly better, up to full 32-bit color for all images.

MML with DDS compression looks like the way to go as with plugins I have been activating. It seems like no ShapeFusion interface with this option and everything is scripted. I have to find out how to activate Alien True Color collections. Thanks!!!!

You can use this plugin as an example of how to script replacement images for aliens: http://simplici7y.com/items/xbla-monsters-plugin

treellama
Pittsburgh

Return to Editors, Emulation, Etcetera