HD Player Models (I think this will end up belonging here)

Questions about the content creation procedure go here, including using Forge, Anvil, or other editors, or operating emulators like Basilisk II.

HD Player Models (I think this will end up belonging here)

Post Jul 15th '13, 19:46

Edit: It's out!
Pretty cool how this got started, how quickly it got made, and how helpful everyone was. Thanks to all who gave input/assistance!

(Let me preface this by saying that I'd provide links, but either simplici7y is down right now or something's screwing up on my end)

So after four months of graphical purism, I've decided to give some of the HD stuff a try again. Through Simplici7y I've found plugins that give me HD versions of everything except the player models (Security Officer).

The plugin I used for HD monsters noted that they wouldn't be available until someone made sprites for the KKV-7, but that was last year and I'm doubting that anyone's working on it.

I've started looking to find means of making it myself, but I had a few questions first:

1) Is anyone already working on this?
2) Are the XBLA player models already exported somewhere? I can't find them in the Marathon 2 plugin period.
3) Assuming it is simply a matter of sprites, would someone mind making a plugin for me if I made the sprites /shiteatinggrin?

Thanks for your time.
Last edited by Spurious Interrupt on Aug 8th '13, 18:24, edited 1 time in total.

Spurious Interrupt

Post Jul 15th '13, 20:00

They come with the Marathon 2 on SourceForge. The specification is in XBLA Player.mml, shapes patches are in XBLA Player.ShPa, and the images themselves are in ShapesHD/6

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Jul 15th '13, 22:03

That's what I was afraid of.

When I look in most other shape files, I see the sprites as PNGs with some .dds files in the mix, whereas file 6 is all .dds. ShapeFusion doesn't seem to be recognizing it (or any random bmps I make to test it), and so I'm kind of stuck.

Clearly I have no idea what I'm doing, but is there anyway you could give me a few pointers to at least get shape fusion going (I already made copies in case/for when I screw up)?

The machine I'm on right now has Windows 8.

Thanks for your patience.

Spurious Interrupt

Post Jul 15th '13, 23:37

Use Aorta to view and convert .dds files.

Hopper

Post Jul 16th '13, 00:40

Hopper wrote:Use Aorta to view and convert .dds files.

Thanks, that worked perfectly!

So again, I'm asking the question completely in ignorance of the answer, but if all I wanted to do was put these shapes (plus my KKV-7 sprites) into Marathon Infinity, would it simply be a matter of of replacing the default Marathon Infinity shapes with the Marathon Durandal ones, making sure to keep the numerical order correct?

Or would I have to go do something with the Media Catalog and SHPA files as well?

Or would you not know without trying it yourself? I'll be able to try it myself tomorrow night, so I'm just asking out of curiosity.

Spurious Interrupt

Post Jul 16th '13, 02:12

After taking one last glance at it before tomorrow, I see that the HD plugin for Infinity already has the files (and doesn't use them). I also see that the plugin (XML) document doesn't mention them.

This is telling me it will be more complicated than copy and paste, but I'll wait to see what you guys think.

Spurious Interrupt

Post Jul 18th '13, 01:55

Yes, the reason I disabled them is because there are no sprites for the marine holding and firing an SMG. unless someone is up the challenge of creating them. Unfortunately I have no time/motivation these days to give another crack at it.

herecomethej2000
Ledyard, CT

Post Jul 18th '13, 02:17

herecomethej2000 wrote:Yes, the reason I disabled them is because there are no sprites for the marine holding and firing an SMG. unless someone is up the challenge of creating them.

Does that mean if someone did make them, you could update the plugin? Sorry to be a pest.

Spurious Interrupt

Post Jul 18th '13, 14:27

Sure, I'd be happy too. That would be a piece of cake. The reason it would take me a long time is I have little drawing ability and only sorta know my way around Gimp.

My previous thought was to draw around the sprites holding the assault rifle, and use the one with just the fists for the back, with an smg poking out. Perhaps it can be done.

Trick was getting the smg in question, no one ever released the model they used the the official weapons plugin. (I had asked for it previously but I was just ignored) So that leaves Visiciom's old hd weaps. Or better yet perhaps thedoctor45's new 3d item/weapon sprites.

herecomethej2000
Ledyard, CT

Post Jul 18th '13, 15:00

It's probably overkill, but since I have access to SolidWorks I was planning on just making my own 3D model of the smg and editing it into the sprites. I can probably make it before the end of this weekend. I'll post some pics when I'm done.

Spurious Interrupt

Post Jul 18th '13, 15:12

Well I wish you the best of luck! It would certainly be great to have for multiplayer. :)

While you are doing that, I've always wanted to add glowmaps for the Pfhor shockstaff. I'm pretty sure I can at least do that. :)

herecomethej2000
Ledyard, CT

Post Jul 18th '13, 23:47

Yup I was successful with the glowmaps. I'll update the plugin when I can, but simplici7y is giving me issues. I posted on the github bug page so I should be up and running again soon.

herecomethej2000
Ledyard, CT

Post Jul 21st '13, 22:37

That's awesome! I'm sure that will look cool with Infinity's generally darker color scheme.

As for me:

That is where I'm at right now. I've had a pretty busy weekend, and I have a midterm tomorrow, so I may not get it done until tomorrow night, but I wanted to let you know I didn't forget about this. This only took half an hour, and all I have left is the stock, drum, and surface appearance.

Spurious Interrupt

Post Jul 22nd '13, 00:14

Hey don't worry about it. It's a nice start. Keep at it!
Believe me I'm a little too busy myself XD.

But I did a little more then just the pfhor staffs.
-Hunter shoulder weapon
-drone engines/eye lights
-pfhor trooper grenades

And a fix for the grey trooper soft death, that I just noticed.

Now i just need to do glows for muzzel flashes for the marine. But I'll hold off on that for a bit. Just waiting for simplici7y.

herecomethej2000
Ledyard, CT

Post Jul 22nd '13, 23:32

Here's the main pic if the pic pushed the model off-screen.

The main body is done; I put my reference material in this picture as well.

Um now that you mention the trooper death, I remember noticing that the Grey Hunters (the ones with homing projectiles) on "You Think You're Bigtime? You're gonna die bigtime!" have glitched soft-deaths. They become rainbow-colored and have huge white boxes around them. Every now and then it crashes the game. Also, they have green projectiles instead of blue, but that may have been your choice/a limitation of the HD sprites.

I'll post some pics and a fly-around video when I'm done with the surface.

Spurious Interrupt

Post Jul 23rd '13, 00:06

Looks really nice! Great work!

I meant to say grey hunter not trooper, it was missing some sprite references in the .mml file. Yup they are green. I can easily turn them blue. I just didn't know

herecomethej2000
Ledyard, CT

Post Jul 23rd '13, 00:22

Rear Profile
Front Profile
Fly-Around

Unless there's something on there you want me to edit, I think I'm done with the model. I won't have an ETA for the sprites until I start (and thus get an idea for it) but I'll try to be done within a week.

Spurious Interrupt

Post Jul 23rd '13, 01:54

Again no rush! I think integrating it into the marine is going to take you quite a lot of time to do. And might take a few iterations to get just right. The SMG looks fantastic. Much better then some of the alternatives I was thinking about using. If I were to nitpick (and its really silly of me to do so) Id say the gun sight loop is a little larger in the reference pic. But no one is ever going to notice on the marine sprite. it really is fine!

I might make it a little more blue then grey though.

Speaking of which, I gave the grey hunter blue bolts btw. It's a simple color change in Gimp for an entire sprite. took 2 min :)

herecomethej2000
Ledyard, CT

Post Jul 23rd '13, 02:42

Yeah, I think the sight loop is actually a discrepancy in the reference sprites. If you look at the non-reloading 1st person one, the loop has a smaller radius than the barrel below it, whereas in the standalone and reloading pic it's bigger. I went with the smaller size because I thought it looked better.

Good idea on the blue though: I forgot I had direct control over a low-gloss material's RGB before you said that.

That's awesome about the Hunter bolts!

Spurious Interrupt

Post Jul 23rd '13, 03:10

I downloaded Gimp and tried it out a bit. Definitely seems doable, but I can see how it would take awhile.

One question: Should I go for as many sprites (15) per SO color as the Assault Rifle?

Spurious Interrupt

Post Jul 23rd '13, 12:51

It's the same size in all hd sprites as a model was used, and aren't hand drawn. Its that with the reloading it's closer, so it looks bigger. In the hand, idle, is still larger then yours though.
Even in the original in hand sprites, I think it was actually rather large,
http://marathongame.wikia.com/wiki/KKV- ... _Flechette
but again, I'm just arguing for arguing's sake. :rolleyes: No one is going to notice with the marine holding

Actually I'd download shapefusion and open up the marathon shapes file so you can see how many frames you need.

It will certainly be difficult to get the process down very specifically so you can replicate it exactly with each color.
Last edited by herecomethej2000 on Jul 23rd '13, 14:46, edited 4 times in total.

herecomethej2000
Ledyard, CT

Post Jul 23rd '13, 13:40

I took a look at the shapes file, and the sprites do indeed line up with the AR 15 per color. I would still recommend taking a look so you get an idea what it should all look like. 120 sprites in a week. I wish you the best of luck! Perhaps you can find shortcuts while doing it. Remember, work smart not hard :)

herecomethej2000
Ledyard, CT

Post Jul 23rd '13, 16:52

herecomethej2000 wrote:It's the same size in all hd sprites as a model was used, and aren't hand drawn. Its that with the reloading it's closer, so it looks bigger. In the hand, idle, is still larger then yours though.
Even in the original in hand sprites, I think it was actually rather large,
http://marathongame.wikia.com/wiki/KKV- ... _Flechette
but again, I'm just arguing for arguing's sake. :rolleyes: No one is going to notice with the marine holding

I think you're right, and I think I've reconciled it with the first person sprite: the sight actually centers closer to the front of that little ring than the back, so from the rear with the hyper-flattened perspective we have, it should look smaller even though it's not.

And don't worry; it's not that hard to edit and I'd much rather get it right now versus 120 sprites later (starting to wonder about the viability of the "one week estimate" myself lol).

Here are my updates for the color and the sight:

Rear Profile Update
Front Profile Update

Spurious Interrupt

Post Jul 23rd '13, 17:04

herecomethej2000 wrote:I took a look at the shapes file, and the sprites do indeed line up with the AR 15 per color. I would still recommend taking a look so you get an idea what it should all look like. 120 sprites in a week. I wish you the best of luck! Perhaps you can find shortcuts while doing it. Remember, work smart not hard :)

Is there any reason I would have to use ShapeFusion? I ask because I can't get it to work on my PC, and using Aorta to convert the .dds' to PNGs is letting me see and access all the sprites anyways.

Also, I don't really have any example to go on for numbering the SMG pics, so do you have a preference (maybe starting after the current final file, which appears to be 188) for how I number them?

Spurious Interrupt

Post Jul 23rd '13, 17:53

No i guess not, since i can do the mml work myself where it's good to know the collection and sprite numbers. But it would be nice to look at. Just follow the AR sprites and we should be fine. The only other option would be to install sheepshaver or basilisk II get MacOS7-9 installed and run Anvil. Tell you what, when i get a chance I'll take a screen shot and post it.

The SMG looks great btw! really nice work. Maybe a touch darker? if you want. It could be just the lighting with the model viewer you are using.

Aorta doesnt open up the MInf Shapes file so you see the original sprites collections and how they fit together.

Actually now that you mention it. I used Aorta to convert all the sprites to PNG. 1) it's easier to work with and 2) DDS doesn't work with the glow masks very well. I know DDS has natural ability to load faster but this day and age and the number of sprites, it hardly makes a difference. Perhaps a second or two

herecomethej2000
Ledyard, CT

Next

Return to Editors, Emulation, Etcetera