HD Player Models (I think this will end up belonging here)

Questions about the content creation procedure go here, including using Forge, Anvil, or other editors, or operating emulators like Basilisk II.

Re: HD Player Models (I think this will end up belonging her

Post Aug 10th '13, 05:24

So kind of an odd effect I've noticed. Every now and then on the forward facing SMG sprites (usually 199), three big transparent "holes" show up in the suppressor. I went and looked at the sprites, and they all look fine, so I'm not really sure what it could be that's doing this.

edit: Example

Spurious Interrupt

Post Aug 10th '13, 13:24

Does this happen in OGL Render classic as well? I have noticed some strange things with the shader render with monsters/players occasionally popping in and out when they are far away.

herecomethej2000
Ledyard, CT

Post Aug 10th '13, 16:47

That actually is in OGL Render Classic.

Upon further inspection, this is actually a consistent error with those sprites, to the point that it shows up (and is very apparent) even when the player has invincibility. If I had to guess, I'd think that some layer of transparency got put onto them somewhere, but I can't find it with any of the tools I know how to use.

Spurious Interrupt

Post Aug 10th '13, 16:55

Well it would be in all because that element has been copied pasted in all the sprites. Is it in the color white sprite 199?

A quick look both at the original PNG and the converted DDS file doesn't show me anything... I guess I can recreate them and see if they are still there providing it wasn't in your original sprite 6/4/199

herecomethej2000
Ledyard, CT

Post Aug 10th '13, 17:35

Upon even further inspection, the error is not consistent and only seems to show up when the viewed against some textures on some maps. I have no clue now.

Spurious Interrupt

Post Aug 11th '13, 01:52

I checked 6/4/199, and it looks the same as the others in Aorta. I've confirmed the error is in all of them; it's just less noticeable on some maps (or it might not show up if you're far away).

Anyways, here's those pics for Simplici7y I said I'd take:

Spurious Interrupt

Post Aug 11th '13, 21:55

Thanks Spurious. Great photos. I did use a couple of them. :)

herecomethej2000
Ledyard, CT

Post Aug 16th '13, 22:54

The player sprites look a little pixel-ish compared to the other rendered .dds stuff
Liquid Fader Removal
Code: Select all
<marathon>
<!-- BAN ALL WHO REFUSE TO DOWNLOAD --!>
<player index="0" opacity="0"/>
</marathon>

ftg.death.rhino

Post Aug 17th '13, 01:17

ftg.death.rhino wrote:The player sprites look a little pixel-ish compared to the other rendered .dds stuff

I'd assume this was true for the old ones, too, especially considering that the pixelish-ness applies to both the SMG sprites and the other sprites.

PerseusSpartacus
Somewhere in the 19th Century...

Post Aug 17th '13, 16:41

He is talking about the discrepency of the SMG sprites to the rest of the Marine ones.

it's due to working from compressed source material to and from the dds convertion. Which may have happened a couple times by the time I was using thedocotors files. I tried to mitigate this by replacing everything I could with the .dds files from the Official plugin and i replaced the rest with converted .png from the official plugin. Through the editing for the SMG files we must have used a file that was already compressed to begin with. We will have to redo them one of these days.

herecomethej2000
Ledyard, CT

Post Aug 17th '13, 23:44

If you can e-mail me some uncompressed images, I can make new ones in a day or two. I still have all my SMG images saved in the size and angle used in the sprites, so it wouldn't be that complicated.

Also, I'm done with school for about a month now, so if we want to do something more in-depth I'm available for that too.

Spurious Interrupt

Post Aug 18th '13, 02:20

Spurious Interrupt wrote:If you can e-mail me some uncompressed images, I can make new ones in a day or two. I still have all my SMG images saved in the size and angle used in the sprites, so it wouldn't be that complicated.

Also, I'm done with school for about a month now, so if we want to do something more in-depth I'm available for that too.

The question on my mind is why they have to be compressed... ever? I'm fine with a bunch of 1000kb crystal clear images.
Liquid Fader Removal
Code: Select all
<marathon>
<!-- BAN ALL WHO REFUSE TO DOWNLOAD --!>
<player index="0" opacity="0"/>
</marathon>

ftg.death.rhino

Post Aug 18th '13, 02:50

ftg.death.rhino wrote:The question on my mind is why they have to be compressed... ever? I'm fine with a bunch of 1000kb crystal clear images.

Yes, and then the game slows down ridiculously for everyone because it has to process an extra 30-some Megabytes for each second of the game. My advice: stay within reasonable limits. You don't have to make everything ultra-compressed, but even that's preferrable to game-crashing slowness. Maybe I'm unintentionally exaggerating here, but I think it's still good to think of it in terms of 'reasonable limits'. Maybe Treellama or somebody can give a better idea of what those limits are.

PerseusSpartacus
Somewhere in the 19th Century...

Post Aug 18th '13, 12:57

Again the originals are in the official pluin in compressed .dds format, you can convert them to .png without too much loss from the compressed image but then we have the issue of converting them back into .dds which is where we will loose some data.

What would be nice if someone could get the marine AR sprites off the xbox again (if they don't already have them) without putting them into compressed dds or some other compressed format.
I never owned an xbox. :(

On the bright side by doing them again we can try out playing with the contrast levels and hopefully fix that suppressor issue :)

herecomethej2000
Ledyard, CT

Post Aug 18th '13, 14:11

herecomethej2000 wrote:Again the originals are in the official pluin in compressed .dds format, you can convert them to .png without too much loss from the compressed image but then we have the issue of converting them back into .dds which is where we will loose some data.

That's the format they are in on the Xbox; some PNGs, some DDS. I'll check whether I have anything higher quality from Freeverse, but I'm sure I would have used them in the plugin if I did.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Aug 18th '13, 18:57

Well that's unfortunate. Perhapse the thing to do then is to just leave the SMG sprites as .png and everything else as .dds

herecomethej2000
Ledyard, CT

Post Aug 18th '13, 22:05

herecomethej2000 wrote:Well that's unfortunate. Perhapse the thing to do then is to just leave the SMG sprites as .png and everything else as .dds

Again, I don't recommend PNG for replacement textures. If the DXTC compression artifacts are really that noticeable (and I doubt they are in game) you can just turn off that checkbox when creating the DDS files.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Aug 19th '13, 14:17

We do have PNG versions of these, but it's not clear they're any better quality. Just in case you want to wait while we work out whether we can give them to you.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Aug 19th '13, 15:19

Thank-you very much Treellama.
It's mostly noticable when you go into 3rd person mode and are looking at the back of your player when you switch to the SMG. But durring the course of the game, you're right it isn't that noticeable.

I just tried it in the original png files which removed the pixilation, but there is a bit of a black outline as oppose to the white one on the rest of the sprites. I'm sure I'll have to redo them to get that out (though I'm not sure how It got that way in the first place.) In which case, I could use the original png sprites, but as you say, it may not be worth the trouble. Uncompressed DDS does sounds like a good idea for thoes particular sprites.

herecomethej2000
Ledyard, CT

Post Aug 19th '13, 18:39

herecomethej2000 wrote:Thank-you very much Treellama.
It's mostly noticable when you go into 3rd person mode and are looking at the back of your player when you switch to the SMG.

Can you post a screenshot? That surprises me.

We will be posting the "originals" so you can work from those if you think it will help.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Aug 19th '13, 22:28

Hmm on closer look you may be right. It's not any more pixilated its just that stupid black boarder that somehow got in when i was doing everything in gimp. I did once do a low quality dds compression which may have influenced how I saw it with the higher one. (of course)

AR pic
SMG pic

herecomethej2000
Ledyard, CT

Post Aug 19th '13, 22:58

weird, on looking at my sprites it looks like there should be no reason for the outline, only idea i have is that something is wrong with the alpha channel in the translucent part of the sprites. now i have to figure out how to get rid of it, only I have no idea how. I don't think I'm going to need those png files afterall though.

herecomethej2000
Ledyard, CT

Post Aug 19th '13, 23:59

What color is in the transparent part of your image?

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Aug 20th '13, 01:12

Black I believe, if I remove alpha channel. But that is the case with all the sprites not just the ones I made.
The black outline is much less noticeable if I leave those sprites uncompressed. I think that will be a good fix in the mean time.

herecomethej2000
Ledyard, CT

Post Aug 20th '13, 02:17

Try enabling Aorta's fast halo removal.

treellama
Pittsburgh

PreviousNext

Return to Editors, Emulation, Etcetera