Annoying VML texturing error

Questions about the content creation procedure go here, including using Forge, Anvil, or other editors, or operating emulators like Basilisk II.

Annoying VML texturing error

Post Oct 20th '13, 11:40

I created somewhat of an incomplete test map in weland. I opened it up in my VML build to texture it, saved it, opened it back up in Weland to add on to it and when I loaded it up a second time in Aleph One the texture selection bar was entirely black and the console was giving me one of two errors depending on where I moved the mouse wheel:

[string "level_script"]:803: attempt to perform arithmetic on local 'index' (a nil value)
[string "level_script"]:789: attempt to perform arithmetic on local 'index' (a nil value)

I went back to my first save of the map and tested it in VML again, this time only texturing one side, saving it then opening it up again and it seemed to be fine. I continued on and textured the entire map segment I had and saved it again. This time I loaded it again before going to Weland and I got the same error. I've repeated this several times and I always get this error after doing a'lot of texturing.

Any idea's on why i'm getting this problem?

Nordevai

Post Oct 20th '13, 18:53

I've spent some long sessions in VML and I haven't seen that happen. You might try disabling any replacement textures or other plugins and see if the problem occurs with stock Infinity textures.

Crater Creator

Post Oct 20th '13, 22:10

My VML build only uses the VML plugin, no other enhancements or HUD replacements. Just the base Marathon Infinity.

I think I've found the problem though. I started a new map with a few textured room and it gave me no problems. The only difference i could think of was this new map had no visible sky and the one i'm having problems with was set outside. So I loaded up the base original map, textured one of the sides with a sky texture and that was the problem. Seems every time I try to apply one of the 4 sky textures to that map it leaves me with those errors after i save it and re-load it. I don't seem to be having trouble with the other textures so far, just applying a sky texture in VML is the problem.

Its not as bad as I originally thought. It seems that I can still apply the sky segments in Weland and VML will work just fine, just as long as I don't try applying sky textures in VML. I'll have to test around with it a bit more to make sure none of the other textures give me this problem, but at least I have a workaround. Still... i'm curious as to what the cause is for this.
Last edited by Nordevai on Oct 21st '13, 05:28, edited 1 time in total.

Nordevai

Post Oct 21st '13, 04:22

Yeah, I'm a little curious too. This has never happened to me while using VML.
Youtube Channel:Crosstroop3r // Traxus Wiki User Page: Crosstrooper
My Marathon uploads: Destiny

Destiny
USA

Post Oct 22nd '13, 12:32

Can you post the first Lua error in your log file? Or upload the map?

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Oct 24th '13, 10:59

I've included the error log and the test map. I'll admit it might be a problem with the map, i have been out of the loop for awhile. If you could check this out it would be great.
Attachments
Error Pack.zip
(8.75 KiB) Downloaded 73 times

Nordevai

Post Mar 3rd '14, 22:47

I am getting this error too and it's REALLY a bummer. I lost my level! Did anyone look into the attached zip file the other poster to this thread uploaded? Any results? Any ideas?

Thanks,
-p

dustu

Post Mar 3rd '14, 22:50

Here's a screen capture of the error:

error.jpg

dustu

Post Mar 3rd '14, 23:22

Update: I'd love to know what caused this problem. I had to restore a file more than 24 hours old to get this working again. So it seems like something corrupted the level and there was no return once that damage happened. :-(

-p

dustu

Post Mar 7th '14, 07:16

The error log posted didn't have anything helpful. I tried the test map, and VML behaved as Nordevai described when I first started up, but when I used the "copy" function to switch textures, everything worked again. So try that if you get stuck.

Hopper

Post Mar 7th '14, 22:35

What do you mean the copy function? How do I copy?

dustu

Post Mar 8th '14, 00:32

Press the secondary trigger. At the top of the screen, the word "copy" appears next to a grenade icon. When you press the "grenade" button, instead of applying your current texture/light/etc. to a wall, it changes your current texture to whatever's on the wall you're pointing at. You can copy textures and lights from one spot and apply them in another.

Hopper

Post Mar 8th '14, 12:46

Thanks Hopper. I'm slowly beginning to understand the visual mode interface. :-)

dustu

Post Mar 8th '14, 21:12

Good to hear! Keep at it, and don't feel bad about the learning curve. There's a ton of functionality to be found, and you just have to explore and constantly check the command options at the top of the screen, until you get the hang of it.

Hopper

Post Mar 8th '14, 23:19

Thanks! I appreciate the support!

dustu

Return to Editors, Emulation, Etcetera