Map Making Tool for A1

Questions about the content creation procedure go here, including using Forge, Anvil, or other editors, or operating emulators like Basilisk II.
pfhore
Born on Board

When I create a map, my Forge claims too-long-view error too often.
If you want to make a map beyond the original engine limit, how do you make and what do you use?
Drictelt
Vidmaster

I use forge for everything. If your exceeding viewing distance, than take a line somewhere in the middle, double click it and uncheck the transparent box. When your level is finished, make all these lines transparent again (it would be wise to make some kind of indications to make sure you can find them all), and then DONT go in forge viewing mode anymore.
Eternal - Victory Dance IV - KTA III - Phoenix
More on Simplici7y: Xmas I-II-III - Winter I - Narcotics - Thrudnesday
Crater Creator
Vidmaster

You can look at a too-long view as long as you want; you'll just have to hit enter to dismiss the error dialog every 5 seconds. What really slows you down are too-many-transparent-lines errors, because those will crash Forge. I use two solutions:

A. What I call "Don't Look at Medusa." Hug the walls of your map, and look at those outer walls at all times. With few exceptions, Forge won't crash if you don't try to look across the big complicated room.

B. That allows you to texture the outside of the space. To texture the inside, divide and conquer. Use the method Drictelt described to cut your map into pieces by making existing lines nontransparent. For instance, when I made a big downtown city map which spanned Forge's map space from corner to corner, I could run around the whole map by making an edge of the main E-W and N-S streets nontransparent, because Forge could handle rendering one quadrant at a time. Choose a series of lines which divide the map most evenly in the fewest number of lines, since it takes a lot of clicking to make all those lines nontransparent, and you'll be doing it many times.
DeepThought
Cyborg

Drictelt wrote:I use forge for everything. If your exceeding viewing distance, than take a line somewhere in the middle, double click it and uncheck the transparent box. When your level is finished, make all these lines transparent again (it would be wise to make some kind of indications to make sure you can find them all), and then DONT go in forge viewing mode anymore.
This is what I do, as it is the best way to deal with it, unless you want to deal with M1-style texturing in pfhorge.

QUOTE(Alan)So that means ALL YOU PEOPLE who AGREED WITH W'RKNCACNTER ARE STUPID, AND THAT MEANS HE'S IGNORANT, AND THAT MEANS ALL YOU PEOPLE WHO AGREED WITH HIM ARE IGNORANT TOO! So I'm not ignorant which makes me not diluted. YOU ARE.[/quote]
dschungltiga
Born on Board

dammit! this is the day i would have presented you A.I.M.E (Another Interesting Map Editor), my cross-platform marathon map editor. i have wrote my own "forge" using REALbasic, with fully working visual mode using opengl, with textures loaded from a shapes file the user had to select (which looked really cool in realtime 3d!). although there were many bugs in it, such as an incredibly slow and stupid sorting routine, slowing a 1,8ghz pentium machine down to about 25-30 fps, you were able to construct, edit, load, save and walk through marathon maps. well, it wasn't quite done, platforms and monsters were not supported. i also had troubles drawing landscape backgrounds, but that could have beend fixed/included in no time...but than, last week, while i was preparing a backup cd, my pc crashed, causing my harddisk to shut down (dunno why that happened). my harddisk doesn't boot up anymore since that has happened, and i'm not intended to let this crappy peace of sh*t getting repaired, even if i would have the money to do so...thank you IBM! so, it's gone...it's all gone, 40gb of data...gone...! :'(

i'm sorry...i have disappointed all those marathon map makers...i have failed... [MDown]

i do have an older back up of this editor, but i guess many features are not yet implenented...well, i think it is only able to load marathon maps, and that's it... :-P i will continue working on this project as soon as i've got a new computer...dunno when this editor will be realeased, if at all.
Last edited by dschungltiga on May 18th '08, 13:27, edited 1 time in total.
treellama
Vidmaster

You should get The One to help you.
dschungltiga
Born on Board

...because he is/does what?
thermoplyae
Mjolnir Mark IV

tiga wrote:my pc crashed
Free sites are available to offer free version control. You must be retarded.
dude, seriously. dude.
Bobwithkeycard
Mjolnir Mark IV

thermoplyae wrote:Free sites are available to offer free version control. You must be retarded.
hmm, what would a HDD crash be without the "told you so" people, oh, and those claiming that you're an idiot

yay for manners!
I bring my own plasma rifle to the house of pain
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

hmm, what would a HDD crash be without the "told you so" people, oh, and those claiming that you're an idiot

yay for manners!
even thinly-veiled troll attempts warrant manners and patience, for sure

oh, hey, while we're on the topic, you know I actually found the Marathon 1 beta files you were looking for? I tried to send them to you, but my hard drive crashed before I could find your email address

sorry man
Bobwithkeycard
Mjolnir Mark IV

aww, at least that leaves me with this fuzzy feeling that you always look out for what's important to me!
thermoplyae
Mjolnir Mark IV

Not calling him an idiot wouldn't somehow make it less true. And maybe if he wasn't aware of places like SourceForge before, now he is.
dude, seriously. dude.
dschungltiga
Born on Board

well, it's not like i never make back ups, nah, i'm making back ups every month. my hdd never made any merest hint of any problems. it seems like many other people had the same problem with this hard drive model: their hard drive crashed while it was running without any problems, and never booted up again - again, thank you IBM.

so, i could save the biggest part of my data (logic song's and older source codes), but my editor made very big progress the last two weeks just after i had made my last back up. furthermore, it wasn't even planned that i would code an marathon map editor, i just wanted to try to load marathon datas (maps and shapes) just for fun, had success with it, and went on...

but well,
thermoplyae wrote:You must be retarded.
meh, fuck you all, code your own a1 supporting map editor, i'm not interested in it this much to let myself get offended by someone. i've had enough, this place sucks, i'm outta here...
CryoS
Vidmaster

bye tiga
What are you, if not seven different shades of stupid?
Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

tiga wrote:meh, fuck you all, code your own a1 supporting map editor, i'm not interested in it this much to let myself get offended by someone. i've had enough, this place sucks, i'm outta here...
Are you The One's brother or sister? You seem like you have the same emotional prahblums, but you're a lot more of a pussy about it. Honestly, if you're going to troll, at least do a good job.
thermoplyae
Mjolnir Mark IV

tiga wrote:code your own a1 supporting map editor
if only we had one of those
dude, seriously. dude.
Bobwithkeycard
Mjolnir Mark IV

well, there goes another dev..guess the community gets what it deserves.

maybe in a while it'll even get the seriously-dude-seriously editor
treellama
Vidmaster

You don't deserve anything you have.
Bobwithkeycard
Mjolnir Mark IV

somehow this sounds like a philosophical statement
thermoplyae
Mjolnir Mark IV

Bobwithkeycard wrote:maybe in a while it'll even get the seriously-dude-seriously editor
Membership in the Supreme CLIQUE is a lifetime appointment, I'm not going anywhere.

edit: though it appears that the ubuntu community is gunning for smithy
Last edited by thermoplyae on May 21st '08, 00:51, edited 1 time in total.
dude, seriously. dude.
DeepThought
Cyborg

Althought people like this guy and The One seem to be well in over their heads, they seem to not be trolls, they might even be genuine. My point is, sometimes you guys need to have more manners.

QUOTE(Alan)So that means ALL YOU PEOPLE who AGREED WITH W'RKNCACNTER ARE STUPID, AND THAT MEANS HE'S IGNORANT, AND THAT MEANS ALL YOU PEOPLE WHO AGREED WITH HIM ARE IGNORANT TOO! So I'm not ignorant which makes me not diluted. YOU ARE.[/quote]
irons
Vidmaster

DeepThought wrote:Althought people like this guy and The One seem to be well in over their heads, they seem to not be trolls, they might even be genuine. My point is, sometimes you guys need to have more manners.
Last edited by irons on May 21st '08, 00:53, edited 1 time in total.
underworld : simple fun netmaps // prahblum peack : simple rejected netmaps
azure dreams : simple horrible netmaps // v6.0!!!: thomas mann's greatest hits : simple simple netmaps
treellama
Vidmaster

I know for a fact The One is genuine.
thermoplyae
Mjolnir Mark IV

Of course! Some of us managed to successfully employ a search engine (hurr) and try out his engine fork.
dude, seriously. dude.
DeepThought
Cyborg

Well, my point was that people like these guys seemed to get demotivated from the members here. Now that I think about it, though, these people need to toughen their E-Balls. I mean, you realy need to not insults on the internet seriously.
Last edited by DeepThought on May 21st '08, 19:56, edited 1 time in total.