Is my environment setup correct?

Questions about the content creation procedure go here, including using Forge, Anvil, or other editors, or operating emulators like Basilisk II.

Is my environment setup correct?

Post Mar 15th '14, 13:08

Hi,

I'm not a developer but I know enough to be dangerous. :-) I am using OS X 10.8.5, Weland 1.4.1 and Mono 3.2.7 (Mono MRE). I also have several plugins for weland (CirclePlugin, EnumerateTags, Shade, StairGenerator, and VISUALMODE for Weland).

I also have Visual Mode.lua installed as a plugin in the Plugins folder of the Marathon Infinity.app (v1.1) in the path:

Contents/Resources/Data Files/Plugins/VisualMode/Visual Mode.lua

My question is is my environment right? The reason I ask is that I see other people who use weland and marathon and the same plugins I do and they do not see some of the errors I see like this one:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=37877

or the crash I see when I load the StairGenerator plugin (see attached image).

I'm almost wondering if developers on here, who do not see some of these issues, do not see them because they have a more complete environment installed? For example, I only installed Mono using the Mono MRE installer. Do I also need to install the Mono MDK or MonoDevelop?

I love all these apps. Just looking for some guidance on how to fix a few annoying errors.

Also, one additional question: I noticed that some plugins come with a makefile - ostensibly so you can recompile them for new Mac (or Windows, Linux) OSes. So, assuming that I do have correct environment installed on my Mac, how would I recompile something like the StairsGenerator plugin to get it to work on my OS (Mountain Lion)? It did not come with a Makefile (like some others) so any help would be hugely appreciated. :-)

:)

dustu

Post Mar 15th '14, 13:10

Whoops. Forgot to attach the image to my last post. Here it is.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2014-03-15 at 9.00.29 AM.jpg

dustu

Post Mar 17th '14, 01:18

Instead of installing Visual Mode directly into the app bundle, you might want to install it in the Application Support folder, documented on the File Locations wiki page. That way, you won't have to reinstall your plugins when you upgrade the app.

Most content creators don't use the all-in-one app bundle at all, and instead use the standalone Aleph One app. There's no single "right way" to do things, so you can use whichever setup works for you.

Your Infinity / Aleph One setup has nothing to do with problems in Weland, though. Weland and Aleph One are completely separate and don't share any preferences, plugins, or environment.

Hopper

Post Mar 17th '14, 04:05

Obviously, since Mono is complaining about not finding assemblies, there is something missing.
I usually encounter this when I use different versions of Mono, but that's not the problem this time.
I don't seem to get the same errors as you. StairGen works fine for me. Might be because I use Linux or because I use MonoDevelop (because you need that to compile).
VISUALMODE for Weland (sarcasm) works wonders, doesn't it?

Not really sure how to help you, because I can't decipher that error message. Might need to activate that S'pht Translation Software :P
Roses are rose red
Poems don't always make sense
Refridgerator
Dan
California

Post Mar 21st '14, 23:46

Thanks Dan. Maybe I'll install MonoDevelop and see what is what. ;-)

dustu

Post Mar 22nd '14, 17:48

Hi Dan,

I installed MonoDevelop on OS X (10.8.5) and all associated programs. Does this look right:

MonoDevelop 3.0.6
Installation UUID: 5b567a80-1583-4da4-92fe-41c753df0de0
Runtime:
Mono 3.2.6 ((no/9b58377)
GTK 2.24.23
GTK# (2.12.0.0)
Package version: 302060000
Apple Developer Tools:
(Not Found)

Monotouch:
Mono for Android: Not Installed

Build information:
Release ID: 30006000
Git revision: 90a53d1938aa812828adda89fb92d27a716c1218
Build date: 2012-11-28 16:52:33+0000
Xamarin addins: cc24f8812681fe7bb1b25780dc04d93dca0ecc03
Operating System:
Mac OS X 10.8.5
Darwin BADBOY.local 12.5.0 Darwin Kernel Version 12.5.0
Sun Sep 29 13:33:47 PDT 2013
root:xnu-2050.48.12~1/RELEASE_X86_64 x86_64

I still see problems with StairCase plugin not working and Weland not showing item on maps (except people and monsters - guns, ammo, etc items do not show up even though they are there!

dustu

Post Mar 26th '14, 23:56

Sorry for the late reply. Looks good, but still having the problem, I guess MonoDev isn't what's missing. Welp, I'll look into stuff like this more, but this might be unsolvable for a period of time (t'is a problem more than one person is showing and most of us don't have a big idea of what's causing it... yet).
Roses are rose red
Poems don't always make sense
Refridgerator
Dan
California

Return to Editors, Emulation, Etcetera